IGNORED

Forum Upgrade (mostly) Complete!

Albert

I like how the name of who posted now shows up in the new post notification email subject lines. Would you consider switching the order though? So that the thread title is first with who posted second? It would make them much more parseable visually if the titles were aligned vertically, rather than all helter-skelter like they are now:

post-16769-0-63794400-1300266529_thumb.jpg (Of course it's way worse when there's many of them, but I wanted to be sure you'd know what I was talking about).

Edited by Mirage

Great Work Albert!

This looks great on the PC but not on my mobile phone.

The old version of the forum had a WAP option for mobiles. Is this feature coming back?

I've got an older phone (only 2 years old though) with a lower resolution screen (320x240) so the mobile skin doesn't work well on it.

There seems to be some problem with the "View New Content" page.

Selected the page, it lists new posts from all over the place but misses some of them.

e.g. from the 8-bit forums it's only showing 3 recent threads but in reality there are 7 that it should be showing.

Random AA member: "Did something change? Why does everything look different?"

Albert: "When you see a new thread in the Announcements forum that starts with the words 'Forum Upgrade,' that should give you a clue. Oops, sorry. I didn't notice the ice cream cone in your hand and the glob of mint chocolate chip in the middle of your forehead. Yes, there was a forum upgrade."

Random AA member: "My favorite feature is missing!"

Albert: "There are many things that still need to be fixed. I'm working on all of them as fast as I can."

Random AA member: "My favorite feature is missing! Ahhhhh!"

Albert: "There are many things that still need to be fixed. I'm working on all of them as fast as I can."

Random AA member: "OMG!!! My favorite feature is missing!"

Random AA member: "First it was 2012, then March 19th, and now this? When will my favorite features come back?"

Albert: "There are many things . . . oh, kerfluck it! I give up! If anybody needs me I'll be waiting for hurricane season down in the Bahamas. Take me sweet Jebus! Take me!"

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 2

I have a Droid. I clicked the "Mobile Skin" button at the bottom, but the skin isn't changing. Maybe it's my phone ... I'll keep playing with it.

By the way, Albert, since I've joined, I've been able to appreciate the functionality your forum has provided. I'm talking about the actual capabilities of the forum software, not just the content of the site. Great stuff! Thank you for all your hard work! :lust:

I do not like the new style. If I was the owner I would order the people responsible for it to change it back immediately. It's ugly, fonts used are more suitable for a book of romance rather than an Atari forum. This illness of "CNN breaking news" format badly affected many many of the 100% designed sites and I nearly stopped visiting them. That includes damaged Kotaku for instance. Why keep things 100% working when you can keep messing around with them just to kill boredom or whatever the reasons are.

I do not like the new style. If I was the owner I would order the people responsible for it to change it back immediately. It's ugly, fonts used are more suitable for a book of romance rather than an Atari forum. This illness of "CNN breaking news" format badly affected many many of the 100% designed sites and I nearly stopped visiting them. That includes damaged Kotaku for instance. Why keep things 100% working when you can keep messing around with them just to kill boredom or whatever the reasons are.

anything else...

There seems to be some problem with the "View New Content" page.

Selected the page, it lists new posts from all over the place but misses some of them.

e.g. from the 8-bit forums it's only showing 3 recent threads but in reality there are 7 that it should be showing.

yeah - I second that problem. Same with 'my content' ... issues with date/time order

Edited by nofrills100

The first problem I see with the new skin is that threads with new messages show up with a BLACK folder icon. There's just something about that black that makes me feel like it would be empty.

I know this is something that came with the new version, so I have to wonder who the heck thought that was a good idea.

Oh well.

I like how the name of who posted now shows up in the new post notification email subject lines. Would you consider switching the order though? So that the thread title is first with who posted second? It would make them much more parseable visually if the titles were aligned vertically, rather than all helter-skelter like they are now:

email notifications.jpg (Of course it's way worse when there's many of them, but I wanted to be sure you'd know what I was talking about).

I probably will change these, I don't really like how they are setup by default myself.

..Al

Great Work Albert!

This looks great on the PC but not on my mobile phone.

The old version of the forum had a WAP option for mobiles. Is this feature coming back?

I've got an older phone (only 2 years old though) with a lower resolution screen (320x240) so the mobile skin doesn't work well on it.

I just enabled an "IP.Mobile" skin option, which is a fast, lightweight skin that should work well for you. Not sure how it'll look on a low-resolution device, but it'll certainly be better than the regular Desktop skin.

..Al

With the new Internet Explorer 9, when I click on "Your Profile" (in the upper right corner, near my photo), the menu appears for a moment and then the "Profile Page" is loaded.

It is impossible to select items in "Your Profile" menu.

I'll have to install IE9 and try to duplicate this. I just looked on Invision's forum and haven't seen anyone complaining about this yet, and we're basically running the same exact skin as they are over there (at least temporarily).

..Al

I don't think comparing the changes here to Kotaku (and the entire Gawker network) is very fair. Mostly what you are seeing here is mostly a skin change--functionality is virtually identical (with some new features added) and most everything is in the same "place". The main reason for upgrading the software is to keep on top of changes, which includes security updates. Invision only supports older versions for so long, and the version we were running was getting long in the tooth. Especially with the work they are doing on version 3.2, which will be out in a few months.

I will be adding a more traditional "AtariAge" skin soon. In the meantime, you can choose from several other skins in the bottom left corner of your page. Look for the drop-down menu that has "IP.Board" selected as the default.

..Al

psst.. http://ca.kotaku.com/

That being said, Al already said he was working on improving the style, so I'd hold judgement until a couple of weeks down the line.

With the new Internet Explorer 9, when I click on "Your Profile" (in the upper right corner, near my photo), the menu appears for a moment and then the "Profile Page" is loaded.

It is impossible to select items in "Your Profile" menu.

I'll have to install IE9 and try to duplicate this. I just looked on Invision's forum and haven't seen anyone complaining about this yet, and we're basically running the same exact skin as they are over there (at least temporarily).

..Al

Thank you Al.

I have the same problem on two PCs, one with W7 Ultimate 32 bit + IE9 and the other with W7 Premium 32 bit + IE9.

Looks great. Any plans to have a mobile version of forum?

There is a rather nice mobile skin that is automatically selected depending on the mobile device you have. It should work on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android devices, and more.. Have you tried it yet?

..Al

Mobile version works for me now. Thanks, Al. Looks sweet.

-B

Does the mobile skin work with the Wii? I'm not on one right now, just wanted to know.

There are two mobile skins, one comes standard with the software (and is called "IP.Mobile" if you select it from the skin list below) and the other is a commercial, third-party skin called "Aqua Soft Mobile 2". This latter skin is selected automatically based on the user-agent of your browser. I presently have it setup to switch based on most common mobile platforms, but not all. When you are on your Wii again, if it doesn't switch automatically, try choosing the "IP.Mobile" skin and see how that looks.

..Al

Looks great. Any plans to have a mobile version of forum?

There is a rather nice mobile skin that is automatically selected depending on the mobile device you have. It should work on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android devices, and more.. Have you tried it yet?

..Al

Mobile version works for me now. Thanks, Al. Looks sweet.

-B

Works on my Android too.

BTW, "Your Profile" menu works on Android (and not with IE9)!