IGNORED

Forum Upgrade (mostly) Complete!

Albert

Regarding the new skin, for me the biggest problem is the size of the "Go to first unread post" icon.

Too small!

I agree, that icon is ugly and tiny. No idea what they were thinking when they created that graphic, and there has been lots of criticism of it on Invision's forum. Completely out of place.

..Al

• Like 1

First, Thanks, Al. I for one like the new look. :D And I look forward to looking at the other skin options also.

A refresh is good. There will always be people that complain about change. It's inevitable. I'm 99.9% sure that not a single user in these forums joined because of how great the AtariAge forums looked. Those that are complaining should remember that these forums are not a right... they're a privilege. And also keep in mind that someone (namely Al) has worked very hard on improving the site. Furthermore, he's made the personal experience customizable which is more than you can say for a lot of other BBS implementations.

I'm looking forward to the enhancements on the site and once I get used to this new environment, I'm sure I'll never look back at the previous forum.

P.S. I think it would be cool to have an 8-bit themed skin as well. :thumbsup:

myico-love.gif

• Like 1

Looks great. Any plans to have a mobile version of forum?

There is a rather nice mobile skin that is automatically selected depending on the mobile device you have. It should work on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android devices, and more.. Have you tried it yet?

..Al

I'm still getting the under construction screen on my iphone.. icon_ponder.gif

The mobile skin doesn't work on Windows Phone 7, but then it didn't work on the previous version of the forums either... (It always reverts to the default skin).

The mobile skin doesn't work on Windows Phone 7, but then it didn't work on the previous version of the forums either... (It always reverts to the default skin).

I should be able to fix this, I just need to setup the proper user agent for Windows Phone 7.

..Al

That would be awesome! :)

I will be adding a more traditional "AtariAge" skin soon. In the meantime, you can choose from several other skins in the bottom left corner of your page. Look for the drop-down menu that has "IP.Board" selected as the default.

Overall, I like the changes. I don't even mind the default skins. Too much. ;)

I'm hoping with the new AA skin though, you might consider ditching the 2600 graphic icons, in favor of ones that clearly define what they're actually for. I realize a lot of people around here would consider that heresy, but things like Pac-Man in the search box (I never associated Pac-Man with searching), and various other odd pairings may generate warm, fuzzy feelings, but they don't make for good functionality.

Or have an alternate AA skin that keeps the same appearance, but changes out the icons for those that want them.

I'm also hoping the new skin can keep a bit of the updated appearance. Subtle gradients and highlights can add a nice, polished look to the site. (Emphasis on the subtle.)

Thanks for all the work you're pouring into this. If I had any inkling on how to create skins, I'd offer to help.

Edited by Nathan Strum

... I miss the "My Posts" and "Show New Posts" links already... :sad:

This. :)

I've already added the "My Content" link back to the top of the page. Not sure what "Show New Posts" is, but that's what "View New Content" does (and that's the same as the previous version of the software). Also added a direct link to get into the Messenger.

..Al

I'm hoping with the new AA skin though, you might consider ditching the 2600 graphic icons, in favor of ones that clearly define what they're actually for. I realize a lot of people around here would consider that heresy, but things like Pac-Man in the search box (I never associated Pac-Man with searching), and various other odd pairings may generate warm, fuzzy feelings, but they don't make for good functionality.

Or have an alternate AA skin that keeps the same appearance, but changes out the icons for those that want them.

I'm also hoping the new skin can keep a bit of the updated appearance. Subtle gradients and highlights can add a nice, polished look to the site. (Emphasis on the subtle.)

Thanks for all the work you're pouring into this. If I had any inkling on how to create skins, I'd offer to help.

I agree, the 2600-related icons don't really have any meaning. The only way we're going to get original, meaningful icons is if I can find a designer to create an overall skin (that resembles the old skin) and designs new graphics with that skin in mind. Otherwise I'm just going to heavily modify this default skin, which is what I've done in the past, and replace some of the graphics (such as the forum / topic marker graphics that show where there are ne. w posts and such).

Skinning is a pain in the ass when going to between versions of the software, so I'm inclined to not go crazy when skinning so when a new version does come along it'll be easier to make the transition. That's the main thing that held me back from upgrading thus far. I finally said "Screw it", as the software really needed to be updated. I have a few mods I still need to setup (such as the "Block Forums from View New Content"), but I did transplant a whole slew of them this morning (such as the "Indefinite Post Editing" mod I wrote some time ago).

Anyway, I hope I can find someone. Going to put some feelers out on the Invision forum today and maybe contact some skinners directly.

..Al

• Like 1

Looks great. Any plans to have a mobile version of forum?

There is a rather nice mobile skin that is automatically selected depending on the mobile device you have. It should work on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android devices, and more.. Have you tried it yet?

..Al

From my iPad its going to the full version of the forum by default.

With the new Internet Explorer 9, when I click on "Your Profile" (in the upper right corner, near my photo), the menu appears for a moment and then the "Profile Page" is loaded.

It is impossible to select items in "Your Profile" menu.

I'll have to install IE9 and try to duplicate this. I just looked on Invision's forum and haven't seen anyone complaining about this yet, and we're basically running the same exact skin as they are over there (at least temporarily).

..Al

Thank you Al.

I have the same problem on two PCs, one with W7 Ultimate 32 bit + IE9 and the other with W7 Premium 32 bit + IE9.

Seeing the same thing here with IE9. Clicking "compatability mode" does function as a workaround.

Will AtariAge be doing this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-5844-ipboard-320-new-reputation-mode-like/

We have extended this system in 3.2.0 to add a new reputation 'mode' selectable from the Admin Control Panel. This new mode works in the same manner as a "like" system often seen on social networking sites.

This "like" system is an even better visual way for identifying good content and makes it more personal by leaving your name in the "like" list rather than it being an anonymous donation.

Just wondering... what happened to Spy? That was a really good addition.

You can click on the "Spy" tab at the top of the page for a dedicated (and more useful) version of Spy. It'll show you all the activity on the forum as it happens. Useful to keep open in another tab, as it'll show you a count of the new items since you last looked. I'll get the "Mini-Spy" working on the main page again once I can get rid of the annoying "Loading...." that kept flashing every five seconds.

..Al

Will AtariAge be doing this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-5844-ipboard-320-new-reputation-mode-like/

We have extended this system in 3.2.0 to add a new reputation 'mode' selectable from the Admin Control Panel. This new mode works in the same manner as a "like" system often seen on social networking sites.

This "like" system is an even better visual way for identifying good content and makes it more personal by leaving your name in the "like" list rather than it being an anonymous donation.

When 3.2 comes out, which is a few months down the road. We're now running 3.1.4, which is the latest version available. There will be some great changes to the software in terms of usability with 3.2, so I'm looking forward to that.

..Al

• Like 1