IGNORED

Forum Upgrade (mostly) Complete!

Albert

...I think this will keep people from simply voting up their friends, as opposed to voting up a post based on its merits...

Oh, good. All my posts' rep are based off merits, the only person I'd call close to a friend here is atari2600land.

Yay, me, and not having friends!

Oh, good. All my posts' rep are based off merits . . .

I only give rep points for nudity. Now that rep points are public, people better watch out. Anyone who gives my enemies rep points won't be invited to my birthday party this year. Oh, who am I kidding? I always invite everyone, including homeless guys off the street, but no one ever comes. :sad:

:lol:

• Like 1

Yes, same here. Today all the threads that I participated in last night have shown up. Maybe it takes a few hours, or a log off/log in sequence to add the most recent threads to "my content"?

There actually is a delay--every 15 minutes a script is run that updates the search indicies for any new threads. Thus, if a thread is updated, it could take up to 15 minutes before it shows up in all the various search results (this include "View New Content", "My Content", normal searches, etc.) This was the case before the forum upgrade as well, but people weren't paying as close attention. :) Now, if it is actually taking longer, then there is a legitimate problem. For instance, if the threads are only showing up overnight (when the full search index is rebuilt from scratch), then there is a problem with the script that runs every 15 minutes and I can investigate it.

..Al

Hi Albert,

Just so you know, I'm still having difficulties with "Today's active content" and "View new content". See the attached files, compared to the "Spy", all from approximately the same time.

Thanks,

5-11under

post-3127-0-18523700-1300582178_thumb.png

post-3127-0-49338800-1300582190_thumb.png

post-3127-0-48658900-1300582200_thumb.png

Edited by 5-11under

I'm not sure if this is related to the forum upgrade or not, but I noticed this thread (here) was originally in the Modern Gaming section, but somehow moved over to the Lynx section. I also encountered something similar while posting in the modern gaming section earlier. After I made a reply, the system put my post in a thread found in the Jaguar section (here)! Strange.

Having same problem 5-11under is with View New Content and Today's Active content

instead of Newest to oldest its like newest to almost last night on page 1 then starts withe latest or an hour earlier Hard to describe the sort method thats appearing but not right

If this was addressed earlier in thread sorry Didn't mean to.

Minor annoyance on the thread popup preview, it shows the avitar for the user even though I have avitars disabled. Seems to make the popup lag slightly as well.

That's an interesting observation that I bet Invision didn't think of. I'll add a bug to Invision's site and hopefully they'll fix it.

Edit: Done.

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-28308-topic-preview-popup-displays-avatar-when-user-has-them-disabled/

..Al

Hi Al,

First of all, great job keeping the system all together with the update. There's a few glitches, but most things work quite well, and there's some key improvements I see.

One thing I'm noticing is that the friend inviting is now one-sided. I've accepted a couple of friendships, but they don't show up as "my" friends... I'm a friend of many, but I have no friends. ;)

One thing I'm noticing is that the friend inviting is now one-sided. I've accepted a couple of friendships, but they don't show up as "my" friends... I'm a friend of many, but I have no friends. ;)

I'll take a look at this today. I'm going to spend the entire day working on the site, once I get out of bed and have some breakfast. You're not the first person to mention some weirdness with friends, so I need to take a look at that to see if they've changed this behavior. I know there are several friend-related settings here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members

In particular, the "Friend Approval" is relevant..

..Al

I'll take a look at this today. I'm going to spend the entire day working on the site, once I get out of bed and have some breakfast. You're not the first person to mention some weirdness with friends, so I need to take a look at that to see if they've changed this behavior. I know there are several friend-related settings here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members

In particular, the "Friend Approval" is relevant..

..Al

For reference, the "Show my friends in my profile" is checked, and "Friend Approval" is set to "Enabled - Only add when I approve them".

I just re-added the "Block Forums from View New Content" mod! You can find it in your user control panel under the "Forums" tab. The mod had to be updated to work properly with the current version of the software, as well as the Sphinx search system we are using. This modification will allow you to choose forums to ignore when using "View New Content" and "Today's Active Content" (which is a link near the bottom of the page on the main forum index). If you see anything weird or it's not working as expected, please let me know!

Here's a direct link to the page where you can access this feature:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums&area=blockforums

..Al

• Like 3

Thanks. Maybe one day there will be a mod where we can block threads from the My Content and View New Content results. You can get really tired of some threads and never want to see them again. A Topic Ignore mod that works with My Content and View New Content would bring joy to many AA members.

• Like 1

Thanks. Maybe one day there will be a mod where we can block threads from the My Content and View New Content results. You can get really tired of some threads and never want to see them again. A Topic Ignore mod that works with My Content and View New Content would bring joy to many AA members.

That's a fair bit more work, I can post a request for such a mod on the Invision forums and see what people think.

..Al

• Like 1

How badly do people want an "Ignore Topics Mod"? I was just quoted $150 by one developer to create this mod. I'm open to the idea of taking donations for mods such as this that have a concrete cost of this nature (and realistically will likely only be used by a small percentage of forum members).

..Al

How badly do people want an "Ignore Topics Mod"? I was just quoted $150 by one developer to create this mod. I'm open to the idea of taking donations for mods such as this that have a concrete cost of this nature (and realistically will likely only be used by a small percentage of forum members).

I cannot see a reason justifying such an investment. Just don't click on anything you already know not to like. If you cannot control your own curiosity (happens to me too), that's not a board problem.

• Like 1

I cannot see a reason justifying such an investment. Just don't click on anything you already know not to like. If you cannot control your own curiosity (happens to me too), that's not a board problem.

That's why I asked if anyone was willing to contribute. I personally cannot justify spending $150 for a mod that would be used by a small percentage of AtariAge visitors. But if there are a few members here who'd like to contribute to the expense, that makes it more palatable. I like the concept (and I wrote up a detailed description on Invision's forum of what I'd like this mod to do), but it's not something I have time to develop personally or I'd consider doing so.

..Al

I'd rather see some of the long-standing blog issues start to get fixed. :ponder:

• Like 1

I'd rather see some of the long-standing blog issues start to get fixed. :ponder:

I will need to hunt for those. I have a feeling Invision is going to spend some time improving the Blog after they release 3.2, as there is a fair amount of discontent with it right now. The blog is a bit of a pain because it has many unique skin elements, so it takes a fair bit of work to modify a skin to work well with it. What issues would you like to see addressed? I can then post these to Invision's site and also search their forum to see what issues people have already brought up and if Invision has commented on them.

..Al