IGNORED

Micro Switch modded 2600 controllers

HatefulGravey

I did this today and it is freaking sweet. Is reduces the needed movement in the stick, they are much much more responsive and they make a cool clicking noise. Anyone else done this? If you would like I'll post some picks and stuff to get you started. I had 4 screwed up 2600 controllers and this is repairing them nicely and its a nice upgrade as well.

They work very well on my PacMan and Ms PacMan. They really work well on everything I have tried. The only problem I have had with them is the clicking when I'm playing. Honestly I'm excited to hear it and is a distraction a little. Just too cool not to pay attention too right now. :)

Here are a few pictures. They really tell the story. You will need to obvious equipment, soldering iron, solder, a pair of clippers to remove the plastic that connected the points on the board in its original form. You will also have to have something to cut the plastic off the board that holds the little metal pieces down. Those little metal dome bits are what gets old and messes everything up.

Get 5mm micro switches from Radio Shack. They are 3.99 for a pack of 4, but you will need 5. That old bit. They are part number 275-0002.

EDIT: Oh, there are 4 pins on the micro switches when you get them. You will need to cut them off one end. Just leave 2 on the end you will solder and get the other 2 out of the way. Also, you may want to use some hot glue to hold the switch to the board so the solder doesn't have to hold the switch in place as well.

post-26868-0-76839800-1300308506_thumb.jpg

post-26868-0-83960500-1300308520_thumb.jpg

post-26868-0-91320900-1300308531_thumb.jpg

Edited by HatefulGravey

They work very well on my PacMan and Ms PacMan. They really work well on everything I have tried. The only problem I have had with them is the clicking when I'm playing. Honestly I'm excited to hear it and is a distraction a little. Just too cool not to pay attention too right now. :)

Here are a few pictures. They really tell the story. You will need to obvious equipment, soldering iron, solder, a pair of clippers to remove the plastic that connected the points on the board in its original form. You will also have to have something to cut the plastic off the board that holds the little metal pieces down. Those little metal dome bits are what gets old and messes everything up.

Get 5mm micro switches from Radio Shack. They are 3.99 for a pack of 4, but you will need 5. That old bit. They are part number 275-0002.

EDIT: Oh, there are 4 pins on the micro switches when you get them. You will need to cut them off one end. Just leave 2 on the end you will solder and get the other 2 out of the way. Also, you may want to use some hot glue to hold the switch to the board so the solder doesn't have to hold the switch in place as well.

This is a beautiful idea. Why didn't I think of this?

I have a slew of old sticks that need rebuilt. I bet they're more responsive than the original sticks for sure.

If I rebuilt a few, would anyone be interested in buying a pair? I have a large amount of sticks, and I'm sure after this mod I just need two.

Edited by keilbaca

These things are super nice when they are done. Anyone else actually started on them yet? I've done a few now so if you have questions post away and I'll help you out. A great way to fix a broken stick, and they really are better then original when they are done right.

I found a way to reduce the sounds the buttons put off as they are. Its actually as simple as twisting the clear plastic part of the stick 90 degrees. You have to trim more off the stick to fit in back in the housing, but it works pretty well. Putting a thicker part of the plastic over the switch dampens the sound a good bit actually. I discovered this without looking for it, but it has worked on a few sticks I did for a friend with the same concerns.

The click isn't bad enough to over come the way they work when you are done. Try one and you'll love it. Like I have said, the best thing is repairing old sticks that were just never going to work right again without something like this.

It's cool but Wico already built microswitch joysticks back in the day...but, if you like the feel of a stock 2600 joystick (like I do) I can feel it...

Better to fix broken sticks that I got for free then find and buy these Wico sticks. Preservation demands inovation. I would be throwing these things out if not for finding this way to fix them.

Make a stick like this man... just trust me on this one.

• Like 1

I was about ready to post to say that the switches stick up too high, the case won't close... till I looked at your pictures again and seen that you trimmed off the pegs that exist.

Its all done, I did it at work and I will test it out tonight on Mario Bros, for the HSC. I'm expecting really good results, the stick feels amazing. :)

I was about ready to post to say that the switches stick up too high, the case won't close... till I looked at your pictures again and seen that you trimmed off the pegs that exist.

Its all done, I did it at work and I will test it out tonight on Mario Bros, for the HSC. I'm expecting really good results, the stick feels amazing. :)

I have been playing Mario Bros with one of these for the HSC too. Its actaully the only thing I like about this weeks HSC. I have been waiting untill I break that 150k to post another score, but that isn't looking good so...

I'm glad someone else did this, fill us in on how you like yours, I still love mine. Also, I can't believe you are allowed to do this at work. I have envy in my heart now, thanks! :x

EDIT: Almost forgot, did you trim the botton too? You have to remove the spring and trim some off the button or it will stay pressed all the time.

Edited by HatefulGravey

I have been playing Mario Bros with one of these for the HSC too. Its actaully the only thing I like about this weeks HSC. I have been waiting untill I break that 150k to post another score, but that isn't looking good so...

I'm glad someone else did this, fill us in on how you like yours, I still love mine. Also, I can't believe you are allowed to do this at work. I have envy in my heart now, thanks! :x

EDIT: Almost forgot, did you trim the botton too? You have to remove the spring and trim some off the button or it will stay pressed all the time.

Yeah, after trimming the stick and finding out that it wasn't sitting in right, I had to trim the button too.

Do you have issues with bolting in the stick all the way? Seems like that if I screw it in all the way, it presses down the directional buttons, but if I unscrew it a little bit, it works fine.

Maybe I just have to take sandpaper to the plastic to trim it down.

Yeah, I get to do all kinds of fun things at work, I have the hardest job here, playing main tech as well as greeting all customers and phone calls. So, the boss has no issues when its slow for me to do my own thing.

EDIT: 4 washers took care of the issue. The controller feels solid and you don't notice the slight gap. If you can come up with a fix, it would be appreciated, but 4 washers on the side of the board that goes between the contacts and the top part of the joystick provided enough space for everything to work fine.

Edited by keilbaca

I didn't have that problem at all. The inner part of my stick is cut completely smooth and everything fits fine. I guess the washers are as good as anything else though. So long as it all holds together right. One of the sticks I did required more work then the others to get everything to fit right, but it wasn't anything too far out of the way. That was the first one I turned 90 degrees inside the case. It means taking off the part of the inner stick that hangs out of the main circle. The part that holds it in place so it works with the normal dome bits. Maybe that would help you too.

If you want a bit more throw and not as sensitive, throw some washers in there. :)

My stick was working perfect for a while, now when I press left, it wants to press and hold in the jump button. Ugh...

You have had more issue then I have. I don't even know what to recommend for that. Maybe if you get it worked out you can tell us about how you did it. We can work this out I'm sure, there has to be something simple behind it all.

If you want a bit more throw and not as sensitive, throw some washers in there. :)

My stick was working perfect for a while, now when I press left, it wants to press and hold in the jump button. Ugh...

You have had more issue then I have. I don't even know what to recommend for that. Maybe if you get it worked out you can tell us about how you did it. We can work this out I'm sure, there has to be something simple behind it all.

I will and I will definitely post results once I know something. :)

I wonder if it can be done with the heavy sixer joystick. Since the joystick and button are separated from the board by the springs and the plastic push pad overlay you might not have to cut anything. If you had to cut something then it would probably be just the springs which could be easier to fine tune than cutting pieces off of the joystick,button, and adding washers.