IGNORED

RAM 320XE

ctirad

• 1 month later...

I have good news. All betatesters confirmed smooth operation even on NTSC machines.

A photo of the early production version (no sticker): http://www.krupkaj.cz/xgal/showpic.php?show=ByteFest2013&obr=60

A very positive review from Fandal (in czech language): http://a8.fandal.cz/blog.php.
Edited by ctirad
  • Like 4

So you can solder in an ECI pass-thru if you wish? Anyway it looks good. Nice to see an ECI peripheral with a case. :)

If you look at the pictures in post #1 or 13 you can see that the 320XE PC board has provision for the ECI connector, but any ECI device would stand vertically from the board.

Hello guys

What devices would fit inside the connectors, except cartridges? Most devices that use both the cartridge port and the ECI port are too high to fit between the PCB of the RAM 320XE and the back of the XE.

BTW you need a small mod inside the computer to use 512kB. Were can I find a description of this mod? (And why can't we have 521kB in CompyShop mode?)

Sincerely

Mathy

What devices would fit inside the connectors, except cartridges? Most devices that use both the cartridge port and the ECI port are too high to fit between the PCB of the RAM 320XE and the back of the XE.

It's not possible to make the RAM cart mechanically compatible with all existing ECI devices. In fact I don't know any except IDE Plus, which should fit. For a rare devices like Blackbox a there is a possibility to use some cable adapter.

BTW you need a small mod inside the computer to use 512kB. Were can I find a description of this mod?

I didn't documented it yet.

(And why can't we have 521kB in CompyShop mode?)

Isn't the 512kB COMPY actually the same as the 512kB RAMBO?

The 320kB (256+64k) Compy has the separate ANTIC access. This behavior is fully supported on the RAM 320XE. Im not sure though, if something like 576k Compy ever existed and if so, if it does have the same feature. Because in that case it cannot be implemented without additional motherboard modification and a extra wire between the atari motherboard and the RAM card.

WOW! Just WOW!

I am so happy about this! RAM320XL is one of the coolest Atari things I've ever bought.

I am not so "hardcore" as many others, so I don't care about ECI pass-through, etc. I'm just so damn happy to have no-solder 320K in 130XE that I am smiling with all of my face!! I can't wait!!!! :)

@wood_jl

The TurboFreezer 2011 gives also a no-solder 320K feature for Atari 8bit. I share your enthusiasm though. I love to move from one atari to another. Built-in upgrades really s*ck... they force me to built them in all my atari's I want to use, and even then I would like to use just that particular atari which has not been modded. So.... external upgrades are my favorite too.

Ofcourse I'm interested in this 320XE upgrade, but I really would like to be able to hook up my IDE+

But what is Mathy talking about a wire? Does this upgrade still need a modification of the atari itself?

Why do we need the modification and the extra wire?

You don't need any modification if you are happy with the 320kB (and 128kB) as most people do.

The modification is needed only for the two optional modes, 576kB and 320kB COMPY-SHOP (different banks than stock 320kB).

Does anyone know where to buy a 30pin slot connectors for a cart for a reasonable price? Until now I made them from the 60pin, but that's slow and ugly.

Just search for TE connectivity part number 5530843-2 - these are the ones we used for the Turbo Freezer XE adapter boards (and they are identical to the ones used in the 600/800XLs).

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/5530843-2 (don't get fooled by the picture, it's wrong :)

You can get them from mouser, digikey or RS, for example.

so long,

Hias

Does anyone know where to buy a 30pin slot connectors for a cart for a reasonable price? Until now I made them from the 60pin, but that's slow and ugly.

Would these ones from Digikey work? http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EBC15DRTH/S3308-ND/927260

I also found some from Surplus Sales of Nebraska, but the prices were even higher!

Since your board doesn't use the connectors with mounting ears these ones on eBay are bettter, and a lot cheaper. The pitch is 2.54mm within a row, 5.08mm between rows(0.1"x0.2")

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1408884971231?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140888497123&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] 5 for $2.30 + shipping

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1308052669991?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130805266999&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] 50 for $20.70 + shipping

Edited by BillC

Just search for TE connectivity part number 5530843-2 - these are the ones we used for the Turbo Freezer XE adapter boards (and they are identical to the ones used in the 600/800XLs).

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/5530843-2 (don't get fooled by the picture, it's wrong :)

Thank you very much Hias! This is exactly what I looked for.