IGNORED

RAM 320XE

ctirad

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. The "Remap" feature is still there. However, sometimes the bad ram chip constantly block the BUS by peramanent assertion to 0 or 1. In this case it is not possible to fix it just by connecting the external RAM and the chip must be unsoldered.

Congratulations! Please, let me know when you accept orders.

What tests did you do?

Just the basic I/O tests and expansion RAM tests to prove that there is not a conflict on the bus and that the drivers are strong enough for such daisy chaining.

Edited by ctirad

While I understand the desire for ECI/PBI pass-through, I think the needs of this would be extremely-limited and therefore complicate and add expense to the design. If I had an MIO or Black Box (I do not) then I certainly would be "serious" enough in my Atari8 hobby to not mind having to get an actual (internal to the machine, traditional) memory upgrade. Daisy-chaining PBI/ECI devices through edge-card connectors sounds like asking for trouble, anyway.

I'm just wanting the plug-in RAM upgrade, and although I wouldn't mind an MIO or Black Box, I have no plans on getting either, but I'd really like the RAM. I think I may be in the most common demographic.

Hello guys

Let's not limit ourselves to what's needed. Nobody needs a 128MB cart, Dual Stereo upgrade with Covox, VBXE, SIDE 1, 2, 3 or 256, memory upgrades, etc. We don't need Yoomp! and Crownland. And we sure as hell don't need smart phones. But the days when we lived in caves are long gone. We don't even use tapes to load software anymore (well, at least most of us don't). Nowadays we have the opportunity to design, produce and buy what we want, not just what we need.

So yes, let's have the pass through PBI/ECI!!!

Sincerely

Mathy

PS I'm considering ordering one of these RAM320XE's only because it's the only external RAM extension. But I'd prefer an external upgrade that uses the addresses the MIO uses, with at least 16MB. (Please don't tell me I don't need it. I know that. I WANT it!!!)

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1

PS I'm considering ordering one of these RAM320XE's only because it's the only external RAM extension. But I'd prefer an external upgrade that uses the addresses the MIO uses, with at least 16MB. (Please don't tell me I don't need it. I know that. I WANT it!!!)

Not completely. The Freezer 2011 gives you also an external XE compatible ram extension, WITH pass through PBI port. I am using the Freezer 2011 not for the freezing feature, but just for the XE compatible RAM.

I want a modern re-manufacture of the Black Box (and/or MIO) that has the RAM built-in on the device, and that uses SD cards as hard drives, all through the PBI/ECI.

I know it would add to the cost of the interface, but it definitely surprises me that absolutely no recent PBI HDD interfaces have any kind of PORTB RAM upgrade on them. SDX, RTC, banked PBI BIOS ROM with (probably) banked PBI RAM mapped into the $Dxxx region... but when I plug all this goodness into a stock 800XL, I'm still short of RAM. :)

That's why we need an external RAM upgrade with a passthrough PBI/ECI that uses the addresses the MIO uses. You can use an upgrade like that with every other PBI/ECI device. Plus your normal XE upgrade.

Yeah, I guess so. I was just thinking how cool (and convenient) an "all in one" would have been. :)

Hello Larry

No, all I want on this board is extra memory, so you can use it with whatever PBI/ECI device you want/have. Probably SRAM (no refresh needed) and maybe battery backed up. But that's all. Except maybe for an RTC-8 (OSS/ICD/FTE) compatible real time clock.

Sincerely

Mathy

never was clear ECI pass thru for MIO and Black Box?

It is a Must have for me...

The production version of the card has only the cart connector fitted, but there are pads prepared for the ECI one as well. The ECI connector can be soldered on demand by me or any time later when needed. The mapping is 1:1 with the XE so in theory ANY ECI device shoud work, but there are also things like RF, BUS strenght etc..

@Mathy,

You usually comment on anything that is directed to you, but as far as I see here, you missed (or ignored?) my reply to you. The Freezer 2011 does exact what you want. It is a XE compatible memory upgrade AND has PBI connector at backside, so you can connect your blackbox or other pbi devices to it.