14 members have voted

1. 1. Have you a modem connected to your TI99

• No
    • Yes, 300 bauds
    • Yes, 2400 bauds
    • Yes, 9600 bauds or more
    • Yes, but don't know the speed

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The thing is... it is only worthwhile if you're running at 19200 baud. This can be achieved with pretty much any regular (10 or 15 year old) 56k modem you can pick up at any pawn shop or yard sale. =) I no longer have a home phone line, so I no longer have access with my TI to the Reef.

Considering the small size of TI files, a 1200bps connection is enough to transfer files or browse a BBS like the Hidden Reef. Granted, some downloads/uploads may take a little while. Programs like Telco will suffer from character loss when connected at speeds higher than 2400, so even if you have a 56k modem connected to your TI, a 2400 baud connection is the highest you could reliably have. With Tim's program "Port" on my Geneve I can get a reliable 28k connection with no character loss.

The thing is... it is only worthwhile if you're running at 19200 baud. This can be achieved with pretty much any regular (10 or 15 year old) 56k modem you can pick up at any pawn shop or yard sale. =) I no longer have a home phone line, so I no longer have access with my TI to the Reef.

Edited by Mad Hatter

i'm thinking another way to play multiplayer games.

and i found maybe one interesting idea, but is it really interesting for TI99 user ?

Simple USB adapter to TI99 joystick port. A PC software exchange data on internet server and send to TI99.

In final, the TI99 will receive data like if it's a second joypad connected to the TI.

We can imagine a PC interface with the list of awaiting player / games, some weekly challenge etc..

Edited by rocky007

I have seen serial-to-network adapters, which allow you to "dial" telnet servers over serial. Probably the next evolution for us "classic," "retro," or "obsolete" computer users.

But this does, in my mind, raise an interesting line of thought. More and more people are moving away from land-line telephones, and serial connections to recent cell phones is out of the question (I used to connect my C64 and Amiga to my SonyEricsson T637 when I was bored.) Even a serial-to-network adapter would be (mostly) useless if all you have to get online is your phone. The later notwithstanding proxy through a PC using a cellular modem.

As any of this goes, I, personally, will always have a pair of telephonic copper in my home, so long as it remains monetarily feasible. Simply because, come Hell, high water, or Mothra, I will be able to pick up a phone and call *someone*. Maybe not an operator... since no one seems to answer "0" anymore in my area.