IGNORED

K-Razy Shoot-Out rarity question

sku_u

I'd agree that 4 is rather low, especially if Beamrider and Zone Ranger are 5s. Picked up mine for $4 back in the days when online auctions meant in the newsgroups, but I've seen less than a handful since then.

I always have to grimace when the "Did you know" on the front page says Bounty Bob is the rarest 5200 game. Sure seems like I've seen more of those than Meteorites. My 5200 collection has been complete with the exception of Meteorites for 5-7 years.

I always have to grimace when the "Did you know" on the front page says Bounty Bob is the rarest 5200 game.  Sure seems like I've seen more of those than Meteorites.  My 5200 collection has been complete with the exception of Meteorites for 5-7 years.

Hmmm, I have (at least) two copies of Meteorites and *still* don't have a copy of Bounty Bob Strikes Back. It is the last released 5200 game I need for my collection, and one of my favorite Atari 8-bit games so I'm really looking forward to adding it to my collection. And BBSB seems to fetch quite a bit more on eBay than Meteorites, although part of that is certainly that BBSB is a more popular game.

I do agree that these are the two rarest games for the system, and it may very well be a toss up as to which is rarer. Without actual production numbers I doubt we'll ever know for sure. You would think that an established company like Big Five would have churned out tons of copies of BBSB, but obviously that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I should change that "Did you know?" entry to, "Bounty Bob Strikes Back is the most sought after game for the Atari 5200" ? Or "is one of the most sought after games". :)

As for K-Razy Shoot-Out, we'll have to do a little more research on it to see if we should bump it up..

..Al

I always have to grimace when the "Did you know" on the front page says Bounty Bob is the rarest 5200 game.  Sure seems like I've seen more of those than Meteorites.  My 5200 collection has been complete with the exception of Meteorites for 5-7 years.

Hmmm, I have (at least) two copies of Meteorites and *still* don't have a copy of Bounty Bob Strikes Back. It is the last released 5200 game I need for my collection, and one of my favorite Atari 8-bit games so I'm really looking forward to adding it to my collection. And BBSB seems to fetch quite a bit more on eBay than Meteorites, although part of that is certainly that BBSB is a more popular game.

I do agree that these are the two rarest games for the system, and it may very well be a toss up as to which is rarer. Without actual production numbers I doubt we'll ever know for sure. You would think that an established company like Big Five would have churned out tons of copies of BBSB, but obviously that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I should change that "Did you know?" entry to, "Bounty Bob Strikes Back is the most sought after game for the Atari 5200" ? Or "is one of the most sought after games". :)

As for K-Razy Shoot-Out, we'll have to do a little more research on it to see if we should bump it up..

..Al

I've come across Bounty Bob and Meteorites more often than K-Razy Shoot-Out over the years. I think all three fall into the same category of rarity.

K-razy Shoot-Out is very had to find for the 5200. It was the last game that I needed to complete my collection. I would rate it a 7 or 8 for rarity.

Meteorites recently sold on eBay cheap (about $30), but it still is hard to find.

Without question Bounty Bob is the most expensive released game for the 5200. I personally sold one on eBay for $350. I have yet to sell one sell for more than what I sold mine for, but it typically fetches $150-$275. The price came down a little about a year and a half ago when a guy find a box full of loose copies.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that K-razy Shootout is rarer than a 4, but I have seen alot of SW'd copies on Ebay. As for Meteorites and Bounty Bob, my personal experience says that BBSB is rarer. It is certainly more expensive, but I think there are caches of SW'd Meteorites out there, while I'm unaware of any caches of BBSB floating around. Of course that doesn't mean they don't exist. Along with these three, I think Star Wars ROTJ is pretty hard to find making these four the toughest to find while the rest of the carts in the library are significantly more common.

I agree that K-razy Shootout is rarer than a 4, but I have seen alot of SW'd copies on Ebay. As for Meteorites and Bounty Bob, my personal experience says that BBSB is rarer. It is certainly more expensive, but I think there are caches of SW'd Meteorites out there, while I'm unaware of any caches of BBSB floating around. Of course that doesn't mean they don't exist. Along with these three, I think Star Wars ROTJ is pretty hard to find making these four the toughest to find while the rest of the carts in the library are significantly more common.

I've come across Star Wars ROTJ a few times in the "wild." It is a hard to find game, but I think there are a bunch of other 5200 games that fall under the hard to find category as well such as Mr. Do!'s Castle and Zaxxon. :D

I also agree its rarer than a 4 but even the rarest of 5200 carts don't come close to the rarity of the rare 2600 titles.

So unless the scale is based on the medium at hand I wouldn't raise it to high. I don't think ANY 5200 game should be rated higher than a 7 or an 8.

Adam

I also agree its rarer than a 4 but even the rarest of 5200 carts don't come close to the rarity of the rare 2600 titles.

So unless the scale is based on the medium at hand I wouldn't raise it to high. I don't think ANY 5200 game should be rated higher than a 7 or an 8.

I agree in general, but I think that Meteorites and BBSB are harder to come by than some of the 2600 9's. Neither of these carts are equal in rarity to 2600 10's, but I see alot more Tooth Protectors, SQ:WW, Qubes, and many more 9's than I do BBSB or Meteorites on Ebay.

• 1 month later...

i just picked up krazy shootout, the last game i did not already have for the 5200. but there is a guy that has been selling shrinkwrapped ones on ebay every 3 months or so for the last year. first one sold for about $200. last one sold with BIN for about $45. just wish someone would find a big stash of bounty bob's now.