IGNORED

What happened to SIO2SD wiki site?

Marius

New 3.0 RC firmware:

Download Page

Thanks for the update!

Now where is this damned programmer cable again - it always disappears when I need it :-)

so long,

Hias

You mean you need a programmer cable to update firmware on SIO2SD? Sorry (for not knowing), I have one but I never use it, because I haven't devised a case for it yet. Because it looks so similar to HxC floppy converter, I made the ignorant assumption that updating the firmware was done by placing a firmware update on the SD card, as you do for the HxC device.

I've been afraid to update firmware, for fear of "bricking" the device, but now it appears I can't?

Edited by wood_jl

You're supposed to be able to update the SIO2SD firmware by placing the file SIO2SD.BIN in the root of the SD card, booting into config mode (with K4 held down), then pressing Shift+K3 to invoke the flash procedure (K2 to OK it). However, this didn't work for me today (when upgrading from one of the 2.x firmwares), so I had to get the old AVR cable out. I don't know what was wrong: Shift+K3 just wasn't doing anything.

Downgrading from 3.0 to 2.5 worked like a charm, though. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

@Pajero: what's changed which caused SIO indexes less than 8 to no longer work with SDX?

I found my cable (it was hiding behind my monitor, right at the back of my desk :-) and can confirm that SDX 4.43rc2 sometimes hangs at divisor 6.

Another issue: what happened to the config tool? I understand that it was removed from the Atmel flash and is now a program on the SD card, but I'm missing the setup option to automatically load it on powerup/keypress/... I really liked that feature in the old 2.x firmware, as I prefer the large config screen on the Atari over the tiny LCD. Did I (or google translate) miss something?

so long,

Hias

I'm a little unclear about how to use the new disk-based setup option, too (I understand it's been removed from the firmware?), but I didn't stick with 3.0 long enough to find out. Regarding SDX hanging, I found this to be the case with all values between divisors 3 and 6. Divisor 3 runs a treat with firmware 2.5.

Of course, this is an RC release, but I thought they were all SDX-mad in Poland. :) It seems puzzling that such a fundamental problem has crept in.

Regarding SDX hanging, I found this to be the case with all values between divisors 3 and 6. Divisor 3 runs a treat with firmware 2.5.

Of course, this is an RC release, but I thought they were all SDX-mad in Poland. :) It seems puzzling that such a fundamental problem has crept in.

I did some more testing with divisor 6:

While SDX boots it accesses D1: at divisor 6 properly. Then, if I type "DIR" at the prompt, SDX hangs. I fired up my TurboFreezer (had to press system reset as interrupts are disabled :-) and the Atari is spinning at $E9F-$EA7, waiting for a byte to be received. $0318, which is also checked for being negative (a timeout counter?) is at $00. BTW: the SIO command issued is a "get status" ($53).

If I then press reset, DIR works fine.

BTW2: divisor 6 works fine with my highspeed patch, with QMEG 4.04 and with TurboDos. So maybe it's just a bug in the SDX RC2 highspeed code :-)

so long,

Hias

Another issue: what happened to the config tool? I understand that it was removed from the Atmel flash and is now a program on the SD card, but I'm missing the setup option to automatically load it on powerup/keypress/... I really liked that feature in the old 2.x firmware, as I prefer the large config screen on the Atari over the tiny LCD. Did I (or google translate) miss something?

This feature for me is essential!

Polish friends, could you help us?

BTW2: divisor 6 works fine with my highspeed patch, with QMEG 4.04 and with TurboDos. So maybe it's just a bug in the SDX RC2 highspeed code :-)

Still doesn't explain how divisor 3 works so well when using 2.5 firmware, though. Puzzling.

Hmmm... SDX also seems to have problems when using divisors 0..2 in AtariSIO. Divisor 3 and up seem to work fine. SDX "whatsnew.txt" only mentions that "SIO transfers at higher speed" are supported, but it doesn't mention any speed limit.

so long,

Hias

• 3 weeks later...

Just tested the latest RC (because I was reflashing anyway after my SIO2SD went loopy), and high speed performance with SDX still sucks compared to the 2.x firmware. I can't do a thing with it, so I'm downgrading again.

Yep, had to re-flash with v2.5 firmware myself, v3.0rc5 would not boot on my 800...