IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

I added some stuff to my page: http://drac030.krap.pl/en-kmkjz-pliki.php

These are:

1) an example WAV to use with D2D

2) VS and VX, very simple movie players (one for GR.8, the other for VBXE) + three movie files.

VS and VX use is very simple: VS filename.VS or VX filename.VX

If the DOS does not support CLI, the program should try to open a "D:OUT.VS" (or "D:OUT.VX") file. But I did not check it. Works best on a 32 MB SDX partition anyways (because of the I/O speed).

Have fun

• Like 1

Not sure I want to change my firmware again after my three day MYDOS nightmare :D

What... you used MyDOS for three days? :D

That IS a nightmare... I hope you have recovered Orpheus! :cool:

Very funny :P

no, the nightmare was for the machine... having to deal with orph for three days solid :'D

sloopy.

Not sure I want to change my firmware again after my three day MYDOS nightmare :D

no, the nightmare was for the machine... having to deal with orph for three days solid :'D

sloopy.

Hmmm, now where did I put that package I was going to mail out to sloopy?

sloopy.

Hmmm, now where did I put that package I was going to mail out to sloopy?

you put it in the mail ;'P

sloopy.

I added some stuff to my page: http://drac030.krap....kmkjz-pliki.php

These are:

2) VS and VX, very simple movie players (one for GR.8, the other for VBXE) + three movie files.

If the DOS does not support CLI, the program should try to open a "D:OUT.VS" (or "D:OUT.VX") file. But I did not check it. Works best on a 32 MB SDX partition anyways (because of the I/O speed).

Have fun

Back on topic, thanks for these files Drac

I added some stuff to my page: http://drac030.krap....kmkjz-pliki.php

These are:

Have fun

The D2D player sound incredible, especially with the 8-bit Covox playback!

Unbelievable - I just bought a used 20 Gig drive at a computer fair.

Put it in my USB caddy - no good, just constant clicks, doesn't come online.

That makes it 5 drives I've bought, tried and had to return. Probably would have been better off just spending the $70 or so on a new one.

Anyone located a decent project case for this? I want a matte-black box wide enough to house the whole unit, into which I'll cut apertures for the external cart slot, XE connector, and 50 way cable.

Will be interesting to see how you get the case to fit flush with the XE connector. That thing fits SNUG!

Will be interesting to see how you get the case to fit flush with the XE connector. That thing fits SNUG!

Yes it will. I only tried the interface with an XE for the first time the other day, and there's not much clearance. I still think a valuable opportunity was missed in not having the unit cased at the point of manufacture.

Of three IDE adapaters I have on my desk, only one retails in a case... SIDE.

Yes it will. I only tried the interface with an XE for the first time the other day, and there's not much clearance. I still think a valuable opportunity was missed in not having the unit cased at the point of manufacture.

Nice Plug :D

Yes, they got a whole lot more than code when they put me on the team. :)

Yes, they got a whole lot more than code when they put me on the team. :)

To be honest, the only thing that is making me think about locating the cash for this is because of the people involved.

Since I slaughtered an old external usb hard drive to get a drive for the IDE V2, there are some remains left from that business. Looking at them I thaught about using the interface module ide-to-usb from that case to attach an usb stick to the IDE V2. Anybody tried it or has some experiences?

I doubt it'd work.

It's controller is a bridge to allow the PC to use USB protocols to access the attached disk. The controller in it acts as a USB device, ie "External disk cadddy" or whatever from the PC point-of-view, and converts PC requests to the ATA commands needed.

I'd very much doubt it'd work the other way around. It wouldn't have the USB host functions that allow it to talk to a USB flashdrive since it's only intended to act as a "slave" peripheral.

Yeah the chipset on that USB hardisk controller PCB is a USB CLIENT, not a USB HOST.. so it's not gonna work that way..

Heres what you could do though: You could hook it up in paralell so that both that board and the IDE Plus 2.0 are connected to the drive.. Use a couple of octal tristate buffer ICs on the USB-BOARD side, so that unless that board drives the select line low, it's effectively "off" the IDE bus.. Then, when you want to access the drive (or flash card) on the IDE 2.0 via your PC, just turn off the atari and plug the USB cable into the PC.. When you want the ATARI to access it, just unplug it from the PC, and turn the ATARI back on.

This would of course take some experimentation to get right, but it would be a kewl Idea..

That brings up another thing - has anyone attempted using imaging software on the PC to backup/restore drives/cards ?

Yep -> HxD http://mh-nexus.de/en/

But be careful what type of reader you use - some drivers tend to write to the card. So I put a IDEtoCF-Adapter into the ide connector of my pc mainboard. SD is the same issue.

Edited by GoodByteXL

Might be worth a shot. I believe there's also such things on Sourceforge.

SD card write-protect is a hard switch isn't it ? That should give some assurance that Windoze doesn't trash the things.

It does, but it is not windows writing to the cards - at least I never spotted that with WinXP - but the drivers of the respective card readers are the sod - mine all were connected via usb. Therefore I baught ide direct connect adaptors for SD and CF and from then on it was safe. Nevertheless, windows bitches about an "unformatted media". Abort it and with e.g. HxD it is possible to do a raw backup and raw rewrite of a backup to the card. A direct connector is as fast as a hard drive, even when writing isn't that fast. BTW, if you use a usb connected card reader, you'll have sufficient time to go out for dinner ...