IGNORED

ps3 Slim

EricDeLee

So I bought a PS3 Slim...

I have tried connecting two different HDMI cables... and I can not get this damned thing to show picture or anything in HDMI.

The old PS3 works fine on both HDMI cables. What gives? I've tried the VIDEO reset... end everything I can think of. Nothing but a Black Screen.

Do I need to return that PS3? any of you had this issue? A PS3 that can't use HDMI is useless in my house!

So I bought a PS3 Slim...

I have tried connecting two different HDMI cables... and I can not get this damned thing to show picture or anything in HDMI.

The old PS3 works fine on both HDMI cables. What gives? I've tried the VIDEO reset... end everything I can think of. Nothing but a Black Screen.

Do I need to return that PS3? any of you had this issue? A PS3 that can't use HDMI is useless in my house!

I believe you'll have to just hook up your PS3 with the cables that came with it and then go into your video output and change it to HDMI.

Then connect the HDMI cable and enjoy.

The PS3 doesn't auto detect the cable from what I remember.

Lame I know.

If you have a certain model slim and a certain type of firmware lookout and possibly an updated hard drive. Theres lots of buggy slims out there after firmware updates.

Last summer or fall I had the SAME EXACT issue on a slim AFTER simply moving the PS3 to another TV set. I could not for the life of me get ANY sort of HDMI signal after plugging it into the other TV. I was like WTF?

I moved it back to the other TV and it wouldnt work!

I tried different cables. Black screen.

I tried a third TV. Black screen.

I tried setting it to component and then switch the cables while it was still on etc. (Messed with different combinations)

I tried resetting the PS3 (holding the power down)

I even completely wiped the drive.

After that I could not even install the latest firmware to re-format my hard-drive because of a bug from the last firmware.

See here and here

Needless to say the slim sucks. :)

Nothing. Only component worked at that point. Luckily it was still under warranty and I took it back to Best Buy and they hooked it up on their TV and couldnt get an HDMI signal either. I told them it was very strange and I simply blamed it for being a bad HDMI port. They gave me another and I havent had any issues with the new slim they gave me.

Hopefully you'll get yours to work. Otherwise dont hesitate to ship it back to Sony etc.

I have two PS3's. A slim and and a fat. As you can tell, dont really care if I wipe the slim and start over. All my main stuff is on the fat.

Edited by cimerians

I have two PS3's. A slim and and a fat. As you can tell, dont really care if I wipe the slim and start over. All my main stuff is on the fat.

Same here!

I guess in order to make them so cheap they had to make the Slim user un-friendly? I dunno.

I'll also add my Slim has froze up like 4 times and I don't recall the fat ever freezing up, so yeah I guess they do suck.

Maybe try calling Sony tech support EricDeLee before sending it back.

Give them a crack at it.

I have a slim and it doesn't give me any troubles. If I've been playing it on my old SD tv then move to the HDMI hdtv, it automatically sees it and asks me if I want to use HDMI. I don't understand why yours isn't doing the same.

Interesting.

I can confirm this is something they don't all do, although to be honest, it's been awhile since I've tried it so maybe it was fixed via an update of some sort.

Last time I did what you are suggesting, I had the PS3 set for HDMI and tried to move it to a TV with component cables. It didn't work, didn't ask me anything because the screen was black. I had to put the PS3 back on the HDMI TV, change the settings to output component, and then move the PS3 over to the component TV which I thought was pretty lame.

I wonder if this is a software issue that they corrected via an update or an issue with certain PS3 Slim units hardware?

Tomorrow I'll try and move my PS3 back to the living room TV and connect via HDMI and see if it asks me to do anything automatically.

I have a slim and it doesn't give me any troubles. If I've been playing it on my old SD tv then move to the HDMI hdtv, it automatically sees it and asks me if I want to use HDMI. I don't understand why yours isn't doing the same.

Interesting.

I can confirm this is something they don't all do, although to be honest, it's been awhile since I've tried it so maybe it was fixed via an update of some sort.

Last time I did what you are suggesting, I had the PS3 set for HDMI and tried to move it to a TV with component cables. It didn't work, didn't ask me anything because the screen was black. I had to put the PS3 back on the HDMI TV, change the settings to output component, and then move the PS3 over to the component TV which I thought was pretty lame.

I wonder if this is a software issue that they corrected via an update or an issue with certain PS3 Slim units hardware?

Tomorrow I'll try and move my PS3 back to the living room TV and connect via HDMI and see if it asks me to do anything automatically.

I bought a slim during the first month they were out and never used the junk cable that comes with the PS3. Have used HDMI from the get go. Sounds like the OP has a bad PS3 and needs to return it.

Its bizarre. In my case I simply moved it to another TV and when I hooked it back up to the original TV it wouldnt work either! I even tried a 3rd TV and it wouldnt work. I was like what the hell happened? Other than having a custom hard drive in it and doing a Sony update the week before nothing else changed. I distinctly remember doing an update the week before.

As I mentioned I tried everything. Switching back to component cables and then going to HDMI etc etc

I figured the port simply just didnt work anymore even though I carefully moved it but I can't help but think about that damn firmware update.

I just noticed what the problem is. Straight out of the box too... which is strange.

I noticed my HDMI cords were sitting in the HDMI area LOOSE. So I thought that was a bit strange. I put my PS3 Fat and PS3 Slim side by side and noticed that the PS3 slim's HDMI connector is broken on the inside. The plastic connector in the middle (that holds the metal connections) is broken halfway...

WTF? Straight out of the box? That's nuts.

The plastic connector in the middle (that holds the metal connections) is broken halfway...

Ugh sucks. Did you buy it in a retail store like Wal-Mart or Best Buys?

You might could just return it to them and get a replacement and forgo the 3 week wait.