IGNORED

Fake Gravity Platformer Test

Random Terrain

Can you tell me how many cycles your player movement code is using? When you use debug cyclescore does it ever get close to zero?

I stuck debug cyclescore in the latest version of the program that I'm working on:

fake_gravity_platformer_with_duck_and_fire_and_pfres23_2012y_06m_19d_1552t.bin

I'm not putting this version in the first post until I'm done tweaking the code for the red things that are popping up and I also need to add a sound effect. In case you want to know, you can jump on the red things to make them disappear.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of enemy you'll be shooting at.

theloon, i'm pretty sure that's how the control scheme is intended. You push down and fire to shoot in the last direction you were walking, and other than that you don't shoot.

Right.

The expected behavior is to be able to walk and jump AND shoot. Mario does it. Contra does it. Megaman does it. Maybe R.T. grew up with games that only allow shooting while standing still?

Mario had 2 buttons. I wasn't going to have shooting until I added it for this thread:

www.atariage.com/forums/topic/197669-control-schemes-multiple-actions-with-a-single-button/

It would be interesting to see how moving, shooting and jumping can cooexist. The MegaMan demo was almost unplayable as shots were hard to pull off. James Pond for the C64 used UP to jump and FIRE to, er, become erect. I think the free use of UP for jump and FIRE for action may be the best compromise. I can't wait to be proven wrong (or right).

It would be interesting to see how moving, shooting and jumping can cooexist. The MegaMan demo was almost unplayable as shots were hard to pull off. James Pond for the C64 used UP to jump and FIRE to, er, become erect. I think the free use of UP for jump and FIRE for action may be the best compromise. I can't wait to be proven wrong (or right).

I hate pressing up for jump. It feels weird and unnatural and it's a pain in the butt. I figured ducking would be a good compromise since that's what a lot of people do when they shoot in modern games anyway. They duck, stand up and shoot, then duck back down again.

Anyway, in this program I had to use the ball and it can only be shot in a fairly narrow strip above each platform to be able to retain its color. I can't have the player jumping around and shooting all over the place because the color of the ball would change.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't the guy just always shoot? Or duck and fire to turn rapid fire on and then when you want to turn the gun off you duck and fire again? Or the same as my last question buy instead of rapid fire it is fire with the button with jumping turned off(changing the function of the fire button)?

After I get an enemy in there, we can see if things need to be changed.

How do you like jumping on the red things in this version:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/179473-fake-gravity-platformer-test/page__st__50#entry2544238

I like how the guy(Mr. Plat?) moves across the blocks. The jumping on them feels like Mario in reverse. I think they would look better as 2x2 brown crates that you bust open into 4 pieces with something inside(gun, sword, key, shield, tool, gold,...) They could also be hidden in platforms to open up holes, as doors,... They have the potential to be a lot of things if you make different colors and configurations.

The shooting feels odd. I can see ducking to pick it up or put it on the ground or in a briefcase with other things you grabbed but ducking down to shoot feels and looks odd. To jump straight up you just fire, to jump right or left you just hold the direction and fire or hold the direction diagonally(left up or right up) and fire, to duck you push down, and up by itself does nothing. What would make more sense is if up and fire makes you shot because you would be doing it standing up. Maybe even that plus shooting while jumping if you jump with a diagonal because you would be pushing up while pushing over but just straight up and firing would be shooting while standing still. Maybe do something similar while ducking. Down would be duck and downward diagonal with fire would be sliding.

Edit: and the blocks need a breaking sound effect.

Edit again: and they need to break slower like there is some give so it doesn't look like jumping on butter.

I like how the guy(Mr. Plat?) moves across the blocks. The jumping on them feels like Mario in reverse. I think they would look better as 2x2 brown crates that you bust open into 4 pieces with something inside(gun, sword, key, shield, tool, gold,...) They could also be hidden in platforms to open up holes, as doors,... They have the potential to be a lot of things if you make different colors and configurations.

It would probably be fairly easy to have one pop up when your bang your head on the bottom of a platform, similar to a Mario game. I can't change the shape of them since each one is a playfield pixel.

The shooting feels odd. I can see ducking to pick it up or put it on the ground or in a briefcase with other things you grabbed but ducking down to shoot feels and looks odd. To jump straight up you just fire, to jump right or left you just hold the direction and fire or hold the direction diagonally(left up or right up) and fire, to duck you push down, and up by itself does nothing. What would make more sense is if up and fire makes you shot because you would be doing it standing up. Maybe even that plus shooting while jumping if you jump with a diagonal because you would be pushing up while pushing over but just straight up and firing would be shooting while standing still. Maybe do something similar while ducking. Down would be duck and downward diagonal with fire would be sliding.

Like I said in another post, I just tried shooting as an example in another thread. I don't have to keep it in. Since the ball uses the playfield colors, I have to limit where the player is when he shoots. Ducking solved two problems. It keeps the guy within a narrow area so the shot can always be the same color and ducking also fixed it so I wouldn't have to create a bunch of different animations for shooting while ducking, standing, jumping, and falling. It was a simple solution to what could be a complex problem. And like I said before, in many modern games, you often duck behind things, stand up and shoot, and duck back down again, so it shouldn't feel too awkward for people who play modern games.

Edit: and the blocks need a breaking sound effect.

Yep, I mentioned that too, but I need to know what they are before I make the sound effect.

Edit again: and they need to break slower like there is some give so it doesn't look like jumping on butter.

If I eliminate shooting, I could use the ball to do that. When the player jumps on one of those special playfield pixels, I would place the ball there, delete the playfield pixel, then animate the ball from thick to thin so it looks like your are squishing it down with your weight.

But could you stack them?

The other versions of this have thin lines for platforms using no_blank_lines, but for this last test version, I dropped no_blank_lines so I could have a multicolored enemy. Now there are blank lines between each row. Stacking would just look like more than one block on top of each other.

(Yes, that was serious).

Maybe this is one of those cases where a simple design decision like that could make things work beautifiully.

Like, the playfield in Yars Revenge-- it was a creative way to make something look like something it's not.

I'm guessing a skeleton could look good; maybe there's some other comb-like graphic that wouldn't look too bad.

But could you stack them?

The other versions of this have thin lines for platforms using no_blank_lines, but for this last test version, I dropped no_blank_lines so I could have a multicolored enemy. Now there are blank lines between each row. Stacking would just look like more than one block on top of each other.

Could you show me them stacked like more than one block on top of each other in a 2x2 stack? Would it look like a stack with a black + through it?

Could you show me them stacked like more than one block on top of each other in a 2x2 stack? Would it look like a stack with a black + through it?

Here it is with two on top of each other and a tall stack so you can see the colors that are used.

fake_gravity_platformer_with_duck_and_fire_and_pfres23_2012y_07m_07d_0602t.bin

I think two stacked looks fine. If it was a 2x2 stack it would look like two bricks with black mortar in the middle. If the 2x2 stack was floating in the air in would look almost like the blocks on Mario Bros. You could even make them yellow to make gold bars for treasure. I think they would look good stacked up to make different things or have them hidden. For an example, you could have a gap in the floor and fill it in with blocks the same color. It could be used to open a hole that falls into another room. Or they could be hidden in the platforms.

The controls for the gun still seem awkward to me and it seems like it wouldn't work well. There would be a bunch of fast action jumping around and then you stop to shoot straight. There would be no aiming or anything. If it was something you touch and is automatic like the hammer in Donkey Kong it might be better. I think it would be more fun and require more aim if you could dunk on one of the blocks, push fire to pick it up, then throw it in the air, and it would fall with gravity like the guy does. That way you would have to aim by positioning yourself to make sure the blocks hit the enemy. He could even throw them back or he could try to dodge them and you could do the same. You could make steps out of them and use hidden ones in the ceiling to bust through to get into a room above. You could have a door made out of blocks and you have to bust it open by throwing blocks at it. You could do a lot of things with using the blocks different ways with different colors and physics. You could also use the multicolored sprite to make more things other than an enemy or you could even make things using both the blocks and the multicolored sprite.

• 2 years later...

Hey I was just wondering if I could use your code to make a SMW(super mario world) remake, love your project.

by the way, This is my first post

You might want to use this instead:

atariage.com/forums/topic/215171-princess-rescue-batari-basic-source-code/

Thanks. I have taken a look the code you suggested it's ok. But it's definite that I'm not a pro. the entire code just doesn't make any sense to me, it's just too long and confusing. but then again thank you. I have started making the overworld It's about %30 complete.

Edited by superskyphoenix03

• 4 years later...

I updated the first post with two fresh versions of the fake gravity code. One is plain and the other one has duck and shoot. Both versions use fewer variables now. The old versions wasted variables for no good reason. I traded them in for a few extra lines of code.

I'll post other versions after they have been updated with better code. I'll probably do a DPC+ version too.

• Like 4