IGNORED

Vectrex Controller

tantone56

Does anyone know where to get a Vectrex controller these days or even a homemade substitute? I see some on Ebay, but they cost an arm and a leg. I just really want to play my system, and let my little nephew play with it as well. If anyone has any thoughts about this, please let me know.

I've see various handmade substitutes, almost always using a digital directional control (eg, genesis or jaguar controller conversions). Should be pretty straight forward. It seems though that a better one would have an analog joystick; doesn't seem like it should be that hard, but I think I've only heard of one (handmade, and not for sale). A full size, arcade cabinet style analog joystick with four quality arcade buttons and a long cord would be great. Bet if someone designed it and built some, they would sell fairly easily.

Edited by fiddlepaddle

You can modify a Sega Genesis controller...

Unfortunately, you can't do analog that way...

True, but of the original games, only Hyperchase and game 2 of Starhawk use the analog function. Of those two, only Starhawk is two-player simultaneous. Not a huge loss, in my opinion.

I made a controller a while ago using the same circuit as used in the Genesis mod but I built a little box and used an arcade joystick from Happs and arcade buttons. I even put in extra left and right buttons so I could turn without using the joystick, a la the arcade versions of Asteroids, Ripoff, Space Wars, etc. That reminds me, I need to make a better box for that...