IGNORED

They hacked your Xbox Live account

cimerians

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/04/xbox-live-hacker-all-accounts-are-open-to-attacks/

Not sure what to make of this issue or this guy. Seems they think it's fun to hack a Microsoft employee's account and prove it can be done.

Should anyone be concerned?

Oh well, an interesting read no less.

Anyone know if credit card info is stored on Gold accounts?

Edited by cimerians

http://www.joystiq.c...pen-to-attacks/

Not sure what to make of this issue or this guy. Seems they think it's fun to hack a Microsoft employee's account and prove it can be done.

Should anyone be concerned?

Oh well, an interesting read no less.

Anyone know if credit card info is stored on Gold accounts?

I, personally, do not have any credit card information on file with Microsoft. I buy my Gold memberships and points when needed at the store. My reason for doing this is because Xbox accounts are seemingly easy to hack.

That said, if someone hacks you Xbox account, they will not get the actual credit card number, but they will be able to buy all sorts of Microsoft DLC on your dime. This will go on as long as it is not noticed, or until it hits your pre-determined limit (you can set this in your account settings on the Xbox website).

Case and point: one of my best friends had his account hacked about a month ago and he is still waiting for reimbursement from Microsoft. He will get his money back ($135), but it was a true pain in the butt. Also, to make matters even more infuriating, the person who hacked his account and STOLE HIS MONEY will not be prosecuted! icon_mad.gif The Microsoft rep said that they cannot do anything about this except ban that Xbox from the system. In hackers terms, this is less than a slap on the wrist, as they will just continue on, undeterred.

My suggestion to anyone using Xbox Live...stick to the store bought, prepaid cards. It will save you a ton of headaches in the end.

When I first got my 360 I had a credit card tied to it, about a year ago I pulled it off (no small feat) and now also only use the prepaid cards.

In order to delete the credit card I had to wait for my current Gold subscription to expire, then delete it then reactivate the Gold subscription using a card. Luckily I only had like a month left on my Gold, still pisses me off. There's no reason I can think of they need to keep it tied up like that.

I'm on silver now and am planning to get a gold card so I was wondering.

I'm also curious about buying games. I'm not sure if it forces you to enter a card number in to have on file to buy points or if you can just type your card info in every time. I'll have to check that tonight.

I'm also curious about buying games. I'm not sure if it forces you to enter a card number in to have on file to buy points or if you can just type your card info in every time. I'll have to check that tonight.

Like I said earlier, I would avoid using a credit card at all. Just go to the store (they even sell em at 7-11's where I live) and buy the Microsoft points on a prepaid card. This will ensure that even on the off chance someone hacks your account, they won't get squat!

There is no savings by using a credit card, other than the fact that you can purchase anything at will. For me, this is a bonus, as it keeps me from impulsively buying DLC I don't really need! Mainly, it will keep your $$$ safe and give you some peace of mind!

Like I said earlier, I would avoid using a credit card at all. Just go to the store (they even sell em at 7-11's where I live) and buy the Microsoft points on a prepaid card.

I could be wrong but I think cimerians is referring to Games on Demand which aren't bought with points.

I actually did buy one a couple years ago, Crackdown for like $19.99, I'm pretty sure I still had my credit card tied to the account when I bought it, so I'm not sure how it is handled if you do not.

Like I said earlier, I would avoid using a credit card at all. Just go to the store (they even sell em at 7-11's where I live) and buy the Microsoft points on a prepaid card.

I could be wrong but I think cimerians is referring to Games on Demand which aren't bought with points.

I actually did buy one a couple years ago, Crackdown for like $19.99, I'm pretty sure I still had my credit card tied to the account when I bought it, so I'm not sure how it is handled if you do not.

Those on demand "deals" usually can be found in a bargain bin for less money anyhow. Personally, I just will continue to avoid keeping a CC# on file with Microsoft, until such a time that they prove to me it is a completely secure process. More important than that, I want Microsoft to act like they give a S#*t when someone hacks into our accounts. Until then, it's off to the store for me!!!

Those on demand "deals" usually can be found in a bargain bin for less money anyhow. Personally, I just will continue to avoid keeping a CC# on file with Microsoft, until such a time that they prove to me it is a completely secure process. More important than that, I want Microsoft to act like they give a S#*t when someone hacks into our accounts. Until then, it's off to the store for me!!!

I agree. The only reason I bought Crackdown was because my friend was visiting from TX and we wanted to co-op, we actually drove to Wal-Mart, Blockbuster and Gamestop and surprisingly none had a copy!! I decided to snag the on demand version just so we could play that night. Then I wound up giving him my copy of the game. Normally I wouldn't have, I would have just ordered a copy off Amazon.

Now I'm glad I took the time to remove my card from Live.

When I first got my 360 I had a credit card tied to it, about a year ago I pulled it off (no small feat) and now also only use the prepaid cards.

In order to delete the credit card I had to wait for my current Gold subscription to expire, then delete it then reactivate the Gold subscription using a card. Luckily I only had like a month left on my Gold, still pisses me off. There's no reason I can think of they need to keep it tied up like that.

You don't have to wait.

Go to the store, buy a 3 month card.

Click upgrade account under membership options.

Under your xbox live gold, select prepaid card, then type in your redeem card. You will then be able to delete your credit card off of live.

Or you can be like me and just change the expiration date until you want to get on your computer, log in, change it back, and buy some live points. This way its not true impulse buying, but in my case, you don't have to drive a half hour to a store to buy a card either.

Just an FYI, Games on Demand can be purchased with points now, they changed it a little while back. After you click on the Buy button and it comes up with the confirm page, you can press X to convert the price to MS points. The standard $5 = 400 points conversion.

I buy my membership and point cards from Amazon. You can purchase both instantly as "Online Codes" and after Amazon gives you the code, just type it into your Xbox account. I don't have to go to the store if the urge to purchase something hits me and quite often Amazon has sales on both (1 year membership was $39.99 and 1600 point card was $16.99 recently).

Mendon

I buy my membership and point cards from Amazon. You can purchase both instantly as "Online Codes" and after Amazon gives you the code, just type it into your Xbox account.

Amazon also used to sell codes for the arcade games.

They stopped doing it though. Must not have been very popular. I thought it was great because I could buy friends on Live games and then send them a message wishing them Happy Birthday and just mail them the codes.

Pretty cool. Sorry to see that go.

Amazon also used to sell codes for the arcade games.

They stopped doing it though. Must not have been very popular. I thought it was great because I could buy friends on Live games and then send them a message wishing them Happy Birthday and just mail them the codes.

Pretty cool. Sorry to see that go.

That's really strange, especially considering that PSN Game Codes are still available. Wonder if it was Amazon or MS that decided to discontinue XBL game codes?

Or (and I just thought of it), maybe an exclusive deal between MS and GameStop was cemented, and I pose that suggestion because a local GS has a big chunk of wall full of XBL Game Cards, Map Cards, etc on display.

Mendon

As long as you buy a gold membership with a card and not through Xbox Live, you can delete your credit card number at will by logging into your account at xbox.com. Otherwise it will probably remember your credit card number because they want to make it easier for you to blow money on stuff.