IGNORED

Laser Blast Hack

Bountybob

Just thinking Laser Blast would be a lot more fun and dynamic if there was an enemy saucer to avoid or maybe if

the ground came up higher and there was less room to maneuver I was wondering if that would be a difficult hack ?

Edited by Bountybob

• 1 month later...

Enemy plane/saucer...not difficult. You'd only need to keep track of the enemy horizontal and vertical location (and the ball sprite to use as a bullet...if you wanted). The original game even has unused ram to allow such an addition ($85, $99, $9A, and $FD)...and a couple more could easily be reclaimed by moving the printing temps to the end of ram (so stack space is shared with them). The scrolling ground effect wastes a whopping 49 bytes (!). There's not even any conflicts for printing an additional sprite to the screen - since the upper portion is only occupied by the player's saucer and the 2 missiles.

The main issue is that Laser Blast is a crappy game ;)

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The main issue is that Laser Blast is a crappy game ;)

This man speaks truth :thumbsup:

I disagree I think it was more of an unfinished game. If a couple of small things had been added in

it could have been a much better game.

If "Ifs and buts were candy and nuts".

Sure they could have done this or they could have done that, and MAYBE it would have been a better game. But they didn't and as it is, its a crappy game.

If "Ifs and buts were candy and nuts".

Sure they could have done this or they could have done that, and MAYBE it would have been a better game. But they didn't and as it is, its a crappy game.

Yeah. It always struck me as a sort of "eh, good enough" effort. They came up with a special effect and one mindlessly simple game mechanic and then kicked it out the door.

Not sure if it was lazy programming or a ridiculous delivery schedule or both, but the difficulty curve in Laser Blast is so flat it makes Mary Tyler Moore look like Dolly Parton. You could just play and play until you starve to death or go insane.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...