IGNORED

PSN Outage

SpiceWare

I was going to say the same thing. The ONLY thing I need PSN for is Netflix.

Other than that. I have been playing Tomb Raider Underworld and Plants vs. Zombies and haven't really missed PSN (other than for Netflix).

Same here.

The Netflix thing doesn't bother me too much as the 360 is like three feet from the PS3.

Other than that. I have been playing Tomb Raider Underworld and Plants vs. Zombies and haven't really missed PSN (other than for Netflix).

Same here.

The Netflix thing doesn't bother me too much as the 360 is like three feet from the PS3.

Can you have more then one device connected to your Netflix account at once? I just assumed it wouldn't let you and as such never tried but it would be nice to have netflix in the bed room as well as the living room... please do tell.

Same here.

Can you have more then one device connected to your Netflix account at once? I just assumed it wouldn't let you and as such never tried but it would be nice to have netflix in the bed room as well as the living room... please do tell.

Yes you can.

Lets say I wanted to connect my 360 (because it's functional) to Netflix. I would open up Netflix on the 360, find the option that says 'I already have an account', and it will give me a code. I then login to netflix online and enter in that code and voila. I think you can add up to like five extensions.

Same here.

Yes you can.

Lets say I wanted to connect my 360 (because it's functional) to Netflix. I would open up Netflix on the 360, find the option that says 'I already have an account', and it will give me a code. I then login to netflix online and enter in that code and voila. I think you can add up to like five extensions.

Cool. I remembered how to do it but didn't know I could have more then one device on there. What stops me from singing into my Netflix account on my friends PS3 (other then the PSN outage that is) too? This seems like a good way for Netflix to have a lot of people sharing their connections. That is why I assumed it wouldn't work.

Indeed HG. I have my 360, PS3 and Wii all attached to the Netflix account! :thumbsup:

And yes you can have multiple consoles of the same types as well. Like say four 360s.

Not sure if there is a limit or not. I'd assume there was but initials searches on that question say there isn't!

I'll have to check Netflix and see if it mentions it.

I have both my 360 and PS3 setup for Netflix. I usually use the 360 for it because it uses the same controller buttons to control it as the on demand movies on the 360 did. On the PS3 blu-ray movies use a different controller scheme than Netflix does so I don't want to bother programming my Harmony remote for each instance.

I'm not going to be so hard on them as many of you have been.

But ... I did pay for my PSN subscription when I paid the high price of my console and the games. When a company sells you consoles and games, listing online play as one of the included selling features, then I paid for it, and I expect to receive what I paid for.

I work in I.T. and I understand the need for security. But it's been nearly a month since I've been able to log in. It would appear that Sony did not have a good backup (as in "oh crap, what will we do if we lose our network") plan.

I've been patient this long, bit now I want to know when I will be able to play what I paid for???

Edited by SlowCoder

I feel sorry for you guys that depend on PSN. SONY totally dropped the ball on security from the sound of things. I have a feeling that MLB/Netflix subscribers will be getting some sort of reimbursement or discount rate for next year.

Frankly, I didn't want to depend on a Gold account and my 360 to watch movies so I bought a Blu-Ray player that does Netflix, Blockbuster, Vudu, CinemaNow, MLB.TV, Pandora, etc...

I had my 360 set up for Netflix but I let my gold account expire due to lack of playing any games online.

I still have the Blu-Ray, a HTPC, and my laptop configured for it.

Apparently Sony also left some sweepstakes site on the web from 2001 and it also got hacked. This is becoming comical. :lol:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/07/sony-idUSL3E7G701T20110507

It also looks like they're going to offer a year of free identity theft protection through Debix for US PS3 owners and are working on getting something similar in place for other users.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/05/sony-offering-free-allclear-id-plus-identity-theft-protection-in-the-united-states-through-debix-inc/

It also looks like they're going to offer a year of free identity theft protection through Debix for US PS3 owners

I seriously couldn't care less about this, just get the fricken network back up!

I know it's free and all, but really? I work for one of the biggest internet backbone/ISPs in the world and I've never seen or heard of the likes of this. I can't imagine what's going on. They have to be rebuilding from the ground up or something. Either that or the Feds have refused Sony from taking the network back online. It's all very strange.

It also looks like they're going to offer a year of free identity theft protection through Debix for US PS3 owners and are working on getting something similar in place for other users.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I wouldn't doubt if this "free service" required you to sign on with some kind of credit/debit card so they can charge you when you forget to cancel the plan at the end of the year.

According to a story on IGN, PSN won't be back in service until possibly the end of May:

"Sony is uncertain when it can resume the services," Tokyo-based Sony spokesperson Shigenori Yoshida is quoted as saying in the report, before letting slip a new return date, "The company is in the process of adopting an improved security system and its plan to restart the services fully by May 31 is unchanged."

LINK

Mendon

I called MLB TV and spoke with a rep. I was told that they can cancel my subscription and issue a refund for the remaining balance of the year but cannot issue a refund for any past service since this is Sony's fault, not theirs (fair enough).

I sent an Email to Sony 8 days ago inquiring as to their intentions regarding those who subscribe to MLB TV and haven't had the courtesy of a reply. I sent another Email 5 days ago and no response. I called Sony twice and after sitting on hold for 30min on each occasion without a speaking to a rep, I hung up.

The ineptness of Sony in protecting my info, coupled with their lack of customer relations in keeping me informed as to the status of my protection from CC fraud and identity theft has pushed my patience to the limit.

Their lack of any response, even automated, via Email or to hire additional people to man the telephones during this period is further proof of their total ineptness.

My patience has about reached its limit with Sony. I'm close to joining my son in ridding the household of my PS3. And its not because I can't play Call of Duty online or the inFamous 2 Beta. And its not because I can't rent a movie or buy DLC.

It's because after 20 days, I don't know where I stand regarding ANYTHING concerning my PS3 and my personal and financial information.

I can't wait around for you to make up your mind about what you might do, Sony. I'm canceling my CC and going through the long process of changing all my payment info with all the business's I deal with. I've selected a firm to watch my financial accounts. I've selected a firm to watch for any signs of possible identity theft.

I'm doing all this on my own because of your ineptness in protecting my information to begin with and your ineptness in making a timely resolution to further protect all who are victims of this situation.

We deserve more than "Further announcements will be forthcoming".

This is no way to treat a customer, Sony!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Maybe I'm just naive, but I wouldn't doubt if this "free service" required you to sign on with some kind of credit/debit card so they can charge you when you forget to cancel the plan at the end of the year.

After this whole PSN debacle I won't give my credit card number to anyone Sony wants me to give it to. It definitely wouldn't surprise me if they did it the way you describe. One of my former employers once had an HR laptop stolen so they gave everyone the opportunity to sign up with Equifax for free for a year. That didn't require a card number. I'm pretty sure I got spammed by them to keep my service though.

Contacting the 3 credit agencies to get a fraud alert seems a lot more important to me. That only lasts 90 days though.

Edit: I don't blame Mendon at all for feeling the way he does. I've already got my new credit card in place.

The other thing that would be nice is a list of possible security questions Sony was asking on their accounts so I know which ones may or may not have been compromised.

Just wow. I might have to wait until the end of May to get back on PSN? Great! By then maybe everyone will have moved on to something different, you know like the 360. I'm suddenly very happy I pay that monthly fee everyone complains about for xBox Live. I'm also very happy I got my Duke Nukem moved to 360.

Here's something I don't really understand:

Some of the reports of PSN breach/customer data stolen are saying there were over 100 Million+ PSN accounts stolen.

To date, Sony has only sold 50 million PS3's world-wide.

Why do so many people have redundant accounts?

Just wow. I might have to wait until the end of May to get back on PSN? Great! By then maybe everyone will have moved on to something different, you know like the 360.

Yeah, my face went into my hands as soon as I saw that 'end of May' bit too. My (wild & unfounded) guess is that they've redesigned their user store and are trying to get every app in the 'web of sony' working with it.

I'm now in the 'life's too short' camp. 360 turned out to be over my budget, but I've ordered myself a Wii and quite a lot of stuff for it, so I now have some gaming to look forward to. Even having the system on order is brightening my day. I plan to mod it too. From what I've heard, Nintendo doesn't seem to care much as long as I play fair online. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo won't ever attempt to battle 'to the death' with everybody on the modder/pirate/hacker spectrum of alternative use.

There were some details on the european reparations plan.

Caplin also explained another program in which PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable users will be offered free games. "We will be offering PSN users the opportunity to select two PS3 games from a list of five, as well as offering PSP users the opportunity to choose two games from a list of four," he wrote. "We will let you know exactly what games are available very soon."

(source)

Edited by Reaperman

Caplin also explained another program in which PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable users will be offered free games. "We will be offering PSN users the opportunity to select two PS3 games from a list of five, as well as offering PSP users the opportunity to choose two games from a list of four," he wrote. "We will let you know exactly what games are available very soon."

So now they are offering free games too? They know they have screwed up royally here if they are going that far. Too bad Sony has a few IPs that I can't play on other systems. I'm going to miss them when the the PS4 comes out. A system I certainly wont be picking up. I paid threw the teeth for my PS3 crap and for this they give away my personal information. I can honestly get over the PSN outage, its the personal infomation thing that is killing me. The whole "we don't know how much information they got" thing is really killing me. If you let people assume they will always assume the worst. So if they aren't saying its for one of two reasons. 1) they honestly have no idea and therefor have REALLY REALLY BAD security on their server. This seems clear as they were completely shut down like this or 2) Its really bad and they think we wont assume its as bad as it really is. I'm thinking its both at this point. For all their EULA text and restricting the use of the PS3 they didn't include anything on their side? Nothing? Not one thing that says they are responsible to keep our information private? Great!

So now they are offering free games too?

I don't know if there is enough data to support the 'too' in that question yet. Europeans are talking about getting free games, but I don't know if they've had any talk about that questionably valuable psn+ coupon, or credit monitoring. USA's 'goody basket' is equally unclear in other ways. And how many of us have accounts in multiple regions? Also will they be real games, or downloadables?

Oh well, I guess they've got at least a couple more weeks in here to firm up all the details for the various regions.

Since there will probably be quite a gap between the Sony response and my happiness level, my own backup plan might just be to "borrow" enough of their stuff to make me happy again. I'm sure Sony would want it that way. :thumbsup:

Edited by Reaperman

Just wow. I might have to wait until the end of May to get back on PSN? Great! By then maybe everyone will have moved on to something different, you know like the 360. I'm suddenly very happy I pay that monthly fee everyone complains about for xBox Live. I'm also very happy I got my Duke Nukem moved to 360.

Plus the online is not that bad, its 4 dollars or so a month, worth it not to have crap like this happen.

Why do so many people have redundant accounts?

That's a definite :roll: question. Why the heck do we have to have a different email/PSN account for each, on the same box? Stupid. They could just say "you can have 10 sub accounts/names on one main PSN account. That main PSN account can have a single email address and payment method attached to it. 99% of households would be covered under the single PSN account. Each sub account could have age/purchase restrictions on them, and password protection. Can't be that not-doable.

• Like 1