IGNORED

PSN Outage

SpiceWare

The one thing that I really liked about PSN was that by using a CC, I didn't have to deal with those annoying XBL points. I paid an exact amount for games and movies on PSN and never had to figure out what to do with those few remaining, unusable points that always seemed to be left dangling on my XBL account.

No more, though. After this fiasco I'll never assign a CC to a gaming service again.

@#$%^&* hackers!

Mendon

Why wouldn't you want Playstation to succeed? You only want Xbox and Wii? Or a monopoly?

Seriously?

• Cracking down on select 3rd party controllers.
  • 'Adjusting' their policies on game sharing.
  • Large chunks of constantly changing legalese everywhere, and a rather heavy handed approach to forcing agreement.
  • Removing other OS.
  • Allowing abusive DRM, letting customers know after purchases.
  • Removal of purchased movies from download queues.
  • Frequent firmware updates which add nothing positive.
  • Mostly unfounded lawsuits against modders and sites.
  • Backwards compatibility inconsistencies.
  • PSN connection nags on certain applications. (netflix for example)
  • PSN performance generally poor (p2p gaming)
  • And of course the obvious handing of gobs of personal data over to hackers.

I don't know if I'm up to the 'I hope sony gets aids and dies' level yet, mostly because I firmly believe that its competition is still slightly worse and has been from the start. However sony seems set on eliminating any advantage I believed they previously had. The biggest deal for me is that none of this is really about playing games anymore, it's about being bullied into changing agreements, and legal questions about functionality.

At this point, I wish I had never bought the stupid PS3, and that's not a great place to be from a commercial standpoint. I understand that I am still stuck with it because of steering wheel support, but for the longest time now, that's all PS3 has had going for it IMO.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

Looks like some info might have been compromised, hopefully this helps anyone with info linked to their account...

Yep...mainstream picked up on the story now:

http://www.foxnews.c...ed-hack-attack/

QUOTE: Hackers may have obtained users' names, home addresses, addresses, birthdates, PlayStation usernames and passwords, and answers to password security questions, according to the blog post.

There was no evidence that credit card information had been compromised, but Sony said it "cannot rule out the possibility" that hackers could access such information.

and here:

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=T1

Just one more reason I am thankful that I don't place any credit cards on file - online!!! I hope they catch those hackers and hang em by their thumbs! icon_mad.gif

Yeah the mainstream has it now. I just heard it on the news this morning from a local radio station here in Youngstown. Y-103 here in Y-town had it on the news and basically said the same thing.

The whole thing is an unfortunate clusterfuck of stupidity on Sony's part. But there are a few important details here that a number of you are mashing together that are unrelated other than by mere coincidence.

When Sony added support for OtherOs, they gave the tinkerers exactly what they wanted, thus no need to hack the system or really even study GameOs to write homebrew. Win-win, right?

Sort of.

Then it dawned on Sony that this feature might encourage a good chunk of people (like say, the USAF) to buy the PS3 hardware for OtherOs capability, with no intention of ever buying any game software. And that's where it all went sideways. Sony saw a potential dip in revenue, and decided that just arbitrarily taking OtherOs would be better for their bottom line.

Heh. Oops. FAIL.

Not too smart, deciding to royally piss off the folks with the greatest amount of collective coding and hacking knowledge using your system. So the real hackers made it their goal to take back what was rightfully theirs. But along the way, the very knowledgeable among them also discovered just how flawed and easily exploited the PS3 really was. And they shared that info with the world, hoping it would lead to a whole new crop of homebrew goodness.

And it did.

But it came at a cost. Sony started hanging up strawmen (geohot) and suing it's users for trying to simply reclaim what they paid for that was taken from them. They made headlines and tons of bad PR, and subsequently a mockery of themselves in the process.

So the hackers decided to show the general PS3 userbase what inconvenience means to them, by having OtherOs taken away - in the form of taking down the precious PSN for a few days. But sadly, a couple of bad apples used this as an opportunity to do unscrupulous things and really start breaking laws and causing damage.

And that's really the difference. The scumbags who took personal info from the PSN servers ARE NOT the people fighting for their OtherOs rights.

For those of you who say it's all just about piracy and freebies - to a small extent for some people you're right. There is defintely a growing underground market for piracy. On EVERY platform. But that wouldn't be anything like having an iPod or iPhone with several gigabytes of non-purchased music on them, would it?

Enough with the high horse attitudes, you hypocrites. If you're going to start trumpeting from the Pulpit, lumping everyone who is in the hacking and homebrew scene in this together as all thieves and pirates, you really need to include yourselves here too.

I mean Jesus Christ on a Cracker! - people, we're all here posting on a gaming site that hosts THOUSANDS of *technically* illegal ROMS that 90% of us have no intellectual use or copyrights to use or distribute.

Edited by Underball
  • Like 2

george-hotz.jpg

The notorious battle between Sony and PS3 hacker George "Geohot" Hotz has ended today, with the two parties settling out of court.

Hotz has agreed to a permanent injunction imposed by Sony's legal team, which is being taken to mean that he's not going to post source codes, hacking tips, or anything else that will help circumvent the PS3's security. Any further agreements remain confidential knowledge of the parties involved.

"Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us," said SCEA general counsel Riley Russell. "Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal."

Hotz also made a statement, seeming similarly glad to be done with the battle: "It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier. I’m happy to have the litigation behind me."

Whether this will satisfy Anonymous, and whether SCEE will continue its fight with Graf_Chokolo, remains to be seen.

http://www.destructoid.com/george-geohot-hotz-and-sony-settle-out-of-court-198595.phtml

After all the big talk from that shit head, when it came down to it, he ran off to South America to get away from the judgment and stayed there until they settled out of court.

After all the big talk from that shit head, when it came down to it, he ran off to South America to get away from the judgment and stayed there until they settled out of court.

:roll:

don't believe everythign you read on stupid gaming blogs.

He didn't run off anywhere. Someone took a photo from his facebook account of him wearing a Boca Juniors futbol jersey, while standing on the Roof of a FRIENDS DORM AT MIT in Cambridge MA. They used it as "proof" that he ran off to Argentina. The photo was taken months ago. He doid go on a vacation while the case was on hiatus, but his vacation wasn't even to Argentina, and it was planned Months in advance of any suit being brought against him.

This wasn't a victory for Sony. They won nothing. They had no leg to stand on, and were going to get annihilated in court just like Apple did. They backed down, and settled with him, basically saying "you dont' have to pay us anything for showing the world how to hack our system, as long as you Pretty Please With Sugar on Top Promise not to hack anymore of our products".

Sony got no monetary gain. Geohot lost nothing.

And that blog is so factually WRONG, it's not even funny.

The case was settled, a WEEK BEFORE anonymous DDOSed the PSN.

Edited by Underball
  • Like 2

:roll:

don't believe everythign you read on stupid gaming blogs.

He didn't run off anywhere. Someone took a photo from his facebook account of him wearing a Boca Juniors futbol jersey, while standing on the Roof of a FRIENDS DORM AT MIT in Cambridge MA. They used it as "proof" that he ran off to Argentina. The photo was taken months ago. He doid go on a vacation while the case was on hiatus, but his vacation wasn't even to Argentina, and it was planned Months in advance of any suit being brought against him.

This wasn't a victory for Sony. They won nothing. They had no leg to stand on, and were going to get annihilated in court just like Apple did. They backed down, and settled with him, basically saying "you dont' have to pay us anything for showing the world how to hack our system, as long as you Pretty Please With Sugar on Top Promise not to hack anymore of our products".

Sony got no monetary gain. Geohot lost nothing.

And that blog is so factually WRONG, it's not even funny.

The case was settled, a WEEK BEFORE anonymous DDOSed the PSN.

I'm trying to be funny by calling him a weasly little prick. In all honesty whether he fled or not doesnt really matter. He made it public when he hacked the PS3.

Thats trouble.

Thats what I've been trying to say here on these boards here endlessly.

You release this info online someones going to do things with it. Usually for illegal reasons.

Its fine to own your system and do things with it etc. I know exactly what your coming from but you go on youtube, put up a website your just asking for trouble.

I could care less who the hell wins. Nobody wins in the end.

And he's still an idiot.

Sony better be offering free credit monitoring too if they want to get back in my good graces.

Here are the phone numbers to put a fraud alert on your accounts.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/helpfaq#fraudalert

Oh I'm sure we signed away the right to so much as complain about this by accepting the TOS. We're going to be getting nothing.

Subscribers to their various services will (at best) get a novelty virtual tee that says "sony is sorry" for use in PS Home.

At this point it would probably take a free copy of Colony Wars 4 to *really* put Sony back on my good side.

I wonder if there will be successful lawsuits.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

For what, a free network not being available?

Doubt it, and like you said there is pages of text you have to "agree" to before activating a credit card, you can bet Sony has their ass covered. Can't imagine any lawsuits sticking.

Maybe if you were paying for the network you could file a lawsuit, although had Sony charged a fee for the use of the network and had the cash to support, maintain, monitor and upgrade it. Probably wouldn't be in this mess. The PSN had been a failed model from the start if you ask me. It was doomed to fail. Wanna bet you'll pay a monthly fee for the PSN when the PS4 hits?

Although, these big companies aren't exactly known for learning from their mistakes so maybe not.

My guess is, if anything, they'll kick everyone a free $5-$10 Sony Store title.

• Like 1

Doubt it, and like you said there is pages of text you have to "agree" to before activating a credit card, you can bet Sony has their ass covered. Can't imagine any lawsuits sticking.

Maybe if you were paying for the network you could file a lawsuit, although had Sony charged a fee for the use of the network and had the cash to support, maintain, monitor and upgrade it. Probably wouldn't be in this mess. The PSN had been a failed model from the start if you ask me. It was doomed to fail. Wanna bet you'll pay a monthly fee for the PSN when the PS4 hits?

Although, these big companies aren't exactly known for learning from their mistakes so maybe not.

You can be sued even if there is an agreement. Criminal Neglegence in the design of their system. Trust me, you can be sued for anything--agreement or no.

You can be sued even if there is an agreement. Criminal Neglegence in the design of their system. Trust me, you can be sued for anything--agreement or no.

Temporary restraining order to keep PSN from returning to operation, and seizure/examination of all psn-related sony computers and storage media by lawyers until the completion of the case. I think that'd be successful enough even if lost.

I'd put a solid $100 toward the "do PSN up like they did geohot" legal fund. Not that doing so would necessarily make me happier.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

The one thing that I really liked about PSN was that by using a CC, I didn't have to deal with those annoying XBL points. I paid an exact amount for games and movies on PSN and never had to figure out what to do with those few remaining, unusable points that always seemed to be left dangling on my XBL account.

No more, though. After this fiasco I'll never assign a CC to a gaming service again.

@#$%^&* hackers!

Mendon

I am more ticked off at Sony for letting something like this happening. I mean maybe a few isolated hacks but the whole entire system. How fucking stupid can a person be to let that happen. Plus a company that is so big. I mean really how hard is it to protect your servers, even Norton security is better then that. I hope Sony gets sued for criminal negligence with people private property and info. Sony's derserves any punishments they get after this. Yes the hackers should have not done it but Sony should have not stored things in such plain site, even Xbox live is safer and it is ran by mircosoft. Plus with the passwords.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...curity-scandal

"The whole notion that password details have been taken defies belief. There's a reason that most internet sites can't tell you what your own password is and can only reset it – it's because the server itself doesn't actually store it at all. Your chosen password is hashed when it's first transmitted, and only this checksum is stored. When you enter your login, the password is hashed again and compared to what is on the system – if we have a match, you are granted access.

In short, there is no actual need whatsoever for your password to be stored server-side at all. Sony's statement suggests that it was actually storing sensitive information in plain text format, which defies belief."

• Like 1

Trust me, you can be sued for anything--agreement or no.

I didn't say they couldn't be sued.

You can sue someone for spilling a hot drink on yourself if there isn't a warning on the cup that states the contents are hot. I said I don't see any lawsuits sticking. Could be wrong, time will tell.

I'd put a solid $100 toward the "do PSN up like they did geohot" legal fund. Not that doing so would necessarily make me happier.

Careful, folks are still waiting for a refund from the "Help Hotz fight Sony" (a fight that never happened) legal fund.

I'm sure the cash was put to good use. Rapping lesson is my guess.

In short, there is no actual need whatsoever for your password to be stored server-side at all. Sony's statement suggests that it was actually storing sensitive information in plain text format, which defies belief."

Maybe that's what happens when you throw together a shit network with no financing to support millions?

• Like 1

Well said, Moycon.

It's reasons like this whole friggin mess (and other things) that made me glad I decided on a 360 over a PS3.

I'd much rather pay the $5-10 a month for acess knowing that my data is safer then be involved in the middle as a innocent bystander in this pissing match between Sony and the hackers.

MSN has been much better at dealing with this to pervent messes like this from happening, and for that, I'll gladly pay for it.

Not that any information stored online is safe....I use a small credit card exactly for that reason, not my major ones or my debit card. But this while incident has made me feel better about avoiding the PSN.

I do feel sorry for all of you and hope that it goes back online soon (although reports are it may be down for another week) and that Sony learns a lesson from all this and it comes back much better and safer.

Edited by SoulBlazer

"The whole notion that password details have been taken defies belief. There's a reason that most internet sites can't tell you what your own password is and can only reset it – it's because the server itself doesn't actually store it at all. Your chosen password is hashed when it's first transmitted, and only this checksum is stored. When you enter your login, the password is hashed again and compared to what is on the system – if we have a match, you are granted access.

Copy/Paste from a chatlog in FEBRUARY.

<user2> creditCard.paymentMethodId=VISA&creditCard.holderName=Max&creditCard.cardNumber=4558254723658741&creditCard.expireYear=

[Line break inserted here to prevent page scroll]

2012&creditCard.expireMonth=2&creditCard.securityCode=214&creditCard.address.address1=example street%2024%20&creditCard.address.city=city1%20&creditCard.address.province=abc%20&creditCard.address.postalCode=12345%20

<user2> sent as plaintext

<user3> uh

<user3> did you censor that card?

<user2> ya its fake

<user3> good

<user1> wow, plaintext :S

<user5> plaintext wow

<user3> im never putting in my details like that

<user2> ya is all fake lol

<user2> i never used cc on ps3

<user2> normally you ATLEAST enccrypt the securtity code, even if its ssl

<user5> id hope sony would do such in a safe manner

<user5> psn cards probably plain text to then

<user2> fake certs are known since years as vuln so companies encrypt such data twice normally

Full link: http://pastie.org/private/97oth9v5tspkiztwwdmnga

The lawsuit would be because they let someone steal tons of personal information from their clients. It has nothing to do with PSN being down. PSN is only down because someone was allowed to break in to the system and steal personal information. I'm glad they got the barn door closed after the horse got out.

The lawsuit would be because they let someone steal tons of personal information from their clients.

Right, I think I understood that part....

there is pages of text you have to "agree" to before activating a credit card

Once again it wouldn't bother me if someone sued for that reason. In fact I believe I have a card tied to my account! I think all the stuff you agree to when you activate the card probably says some legal stuff that Sony will use in court if it came to it. I'm just not so sure a lawsuit will stick, especially when your dealing with a free service is what I have been saying.

My guess is even if it does "stick" some class action lawyers will get millions of dollars and everyone else will get a free download. WIN!!! :thumbsup: ???

Careful, folks are still waiting for a refund from the "Help Hotz fight Sony" (a fight that never happened) legal fund.

I'm sure the cash was put to good use. Rapping lesson is my guess.

Why they would still be waiting when it's been donated to the EFF as originally intended is beyond me. While they can be disappointed over the settlement instead of getting the legal battle they hoped for, they knew they wouldn't be seeing the money again as they were told up front any "excesses" would be donated.

• Like 1

What about all of the PSN plus users ? i didn't know that PSN plus was free.

What about all of the PSN plus users ? i didn't know that PSN plus was free.

I asked that question earlier. If not in this thread, another recent one, maybe the PS+ thread I started?

Anyways, what I asked was does the PS+ content stop working when you can't log into the servers?

I was told it works fine, but I think the person wasn't entirely sure. Can you confirm it does or doesn't?

In any case I hope they extend any PS+ members membership by at least a month regardless how long the outage lasts.

Especially for new users, not having access to that content to download and services like cloud saves you just paid for would suck. I don't see them doing anything else but tacking on a month or two, do you? Who knows, time will tell.

they knew they wouldn't be seeing the money again as they were told up front any "excesses" would be donated.

Ah good to know the money is being put towards something other than a new PC or something. Dude really did need some rapping lessons though.

george-hotz.jpg

The notorious battle between Sony and PS3 hacker George "Geohot" Hotz has ended today, with the two parties settling out of court.

Hotz has agreed to a permanent injunction imposed by Sony's legal team, which is being taken to mean that he's not going to post source codes, hacking tips, or anything else that will help circumvent the PS3's security. Any further agreements remain confidential knowledge of the parties involved.

"Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us," said SCEA general counsel Riley Russell. "Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal."

Hotz also made a statement, seeming similarly glad to be done with the battle: "It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier. I’m happy to have the litigation behind me."

Whether this will satisfy Anonymous, and whether SCEE will continue its fight with Graf_Chokolo, remains to be seen.

http://www.destructoid.com/george-geohot-hotz-and-sony-settle-out-of-court-198595.phtml

Wow what an ugly little nerd.