IGNORED

Security, but who's responsible?

SoundGammon

I compare security with on-line companies much like a bank. You deposit your money in and the one thing you assume is that it will be safe. The bank, on one hand, puts it in a vault watches and guards it all the time, If thieves break in, your protected up to certain amount by the government to get that back to you. Now, if you give your personal info to a company that will have access to your bank, shouldn't they ALSO be responsible for it? It's almost like you put the money in THEIR bank! I believe there show be a law now that makes companies that REQUIRE access to your money be RESPONSIBLE for it. A fixed liability if you will! Any thoughts on this?

Gammon........treating online companies like a bank is your first and most fatal flaw. Online companies have "policies" but who is to say they are following said policies. Reagan said "Trust but verify", I would suggest "Verify beforehand and check periodically". And to answer your question posed in the title, YOU (the individual) is responsible. Anyone that thinks otherwise is shirking their responsibility as a citizen.

I don't know a lot about what happened to PSN--If Sony does, they're surely not telling. It does seem obvious that the system wasn't working as it should have been. Though PSN is not a bank, there are certain rules it must follow laid down by credit card providers as well as the laws, in our PSN's case, of California.

Nowhere in the ToS does it mention credit card or personal information "sharing" in this case. At least not that I could ever find the number of times I skimmed through it.

I think there will be more than just people voting with their feet on this one. Do we have any lawyers floating around at AA willing to give a quick opinion?

Edited by Reaperman