IGNORED

How is the 360 Slim durability so far?

Chuplayer

One of my best friends just saw the red ring of death (or should I say red ring of fear) about two weeks ago. He freaked out and shut down the machine. Started it up the next day and had no problems. No problems since either, so he's not sure what caused it. I guess it could have just been a fluke.

That's the only issue i've heard of so far.

One of my best friends just saw the red ring of death (or should I say red ring of fear) about two weeks ago.

I was under the impression the Slims couldn't red ring by design.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6266498/xbox-360-slim-cant-red-ring-by-design

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6266498.html

Is that not right?

I'm waiting for one of the anti-Microsoft, anti-360 rants, full of misinformation and misplaced emotion passed as opinion. Where is it?

This is AtariAge, it doesn't happen nearly as much here than on other forums.

I've heard of one RROD, but so far things are looking good for the longevity of the slim.

• Like 1

I think things started getting better when they launched the Jasper. so far i have not heard anything go wrong with a slim other then the PSU issues of the release slim models, and the drive that can scratch a disk if someone steps too hard on the floor (which can effect most 360 models). but other then that i haven't seen any real issues that the old ones suffer from.

I did run into a fluke RRoD on my Jasper when it turned around two months old due to a power fluctuation. powered it off and back on and it never happened again. Its now a year and a half old

but so far all of my friends are happy with their slim 360, one of which said he caught his kid playing it like musical instrument by pressing the power button and eject button over and over.

the only thing i do not like about the slim is the touch buttons. me and a friend was playing on it when his dog decided to sniff out the 360 and he hit the eject button with his nose which ejected the disk which took us out of the game.

I do like the fact it has built in wifi, so far haven't seen it mess up yet with the times playing on it at my friends house. if you ask me the 360 should have had wifi built in from the start

Edited by madmax2069

One of my best friends just saw the red ring of death (or should I say red ring of fear) about two weeks ago.

I was under the impression the Slims couldn't red ring by design.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6266498/xbox-360-slim-cant-red-ring-by-design

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6266498.html

Is that not right?

Now if they overheat the dot in the middle turns red, the consoles tells you it's overheating and then it shuts down and won't start up again until it's properly cooled off. There's no red ring displayed but it's still overheating. At least now it shuts off instead of committing suicide.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101516-New-360-Slim-Has-Built-In-Overheat-Protection

As for the OP, no you haven't been living under a rock, the 360S is much more reliable than the old 360. One shouldn't ever see the overheat warning let alone kill their console.

• Like 1

I went through 3 of the older systems. I got the Halo Limited Edition last Sept. So far no problems. However, I don't play it as much as I once did.

Mine does have a very, VERY, VERY loud DVD drive. On many games it it is horrendusly loud. Some games I can hear the fan as well. I usually copy the games I am playing to the HD, so that takes care of the DVD drive noise and is proabably better off that I do this for wear reasons. The grill on the top gets very warm though on certain games. Certainly can't set anything on top of it.

Regardign built-in Wi-Fi... I like it for the most part, but I cannot turn it off. It is always live on the network. I've had some performance issues as results of this (and no, not due to my network).

-GrizzLee

No problems so far, then again, I had my 20GB arcade from late 2007 (right before Halo 3 came out) and it died late last year, roughly a month before the 3 years were up. I sent it in, got it back and it was red ring on delivery so I said fuck it and got an S.

Anyhow, love it over all, especially with the big HDD, I have a LOT more games loaded on the HDD, instead of just the two most played ones, which should cut down on the drive noise, and wear and tear a bit. My only complaint about the thing is that I don't like the touch buttons. While static contact switches are cool in theory, they suck in practice. I don't know how many times I've reached for the cable box and killed a game, or double touched a button.

Outside of that, it's awesome.

I do miss my original one, maybe I'll see about ripping it apart and seeing what's inside of it. To my understanding, it's supposed to be easily fixable....as long as it didn't burn something out in the process.

I've had mine since September '10. I haven't had any problems (it has frozen once or twice, but nothing unlike the original 360).. My only concern is that this thing gets pretty freakin' hot. But, still, no problems, even with keeping the system on at times for 12 hours plus and more..

• 1 month later...

bought mine used about a month ago. Works fine not sure how old it is. 4gig model. Intend to upgrade with an HD and kinect eventually. Best 360 yet (I've had one of each revision) wish faceplates were still an option though

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose a little update from my end, just a week or two ago my CD drive has started making louder noises when in use. I know it's my disc drive because the noise doesn't occur when I play games installed on my hard drive. Something to watch out for I suppose.. These things are only a little over a year old, so who knows what issues can possibly crop up as time goes on... :|

Yeah my brother did say that has been happening also but nothing ever comes from it. He said he usually just softly taps the system on its side while its laying flat and the sound dissipates. Still though I don't consider it a major problem considering how faulty the older systems seemingly were.

• 1 month later...

Can I take my old 20 Gig HD from my old system and slap it in a new model or are there different hard drives for the new systems? I was thinking of upgrading eventually and the 4Gig system with the builtin wifi is pretty slick. I just want to keep my old Fallout game saves. :)

I've had my 360 for over 3 years now and it's still going good (knock on wood). Just thinking about doing the upgrade, :)