IGNORED

Announcing new 2600 controller USB adaptor

dualcam

Just bought one!!! works great! ... only question, using my atart paddles in mame, i only want arkanoid to work, but the paddle just zooms all over the screen!! ... i am using mameUI32.139 and windows xp .... i tried to adjust the digital speed and sensitivity of the analog but no luck ... anyone?

Some else had asked about arkanoid before, but I couldn't seem to find ROM's that MAME liked. Also, I don't have experience with that game, but If someone can point me to a ROM image, I can see if I can get it to work.

Tom

I don't think the paddles are going to work, or rather, not the way you would want.

Looks like Arkanoid used a spinner. The paddles are not spinners, but instead act like an analog joystick.

When the joystick is centered, MAME treats it like the spinner is not being rotated and the player will stay stopped at whatever position it is currently at. Push the joystick right of center, and it is like the spinner is being spun to the right. Push to the left of center, and it is like the spinner is being spun to the left. The farther over the joystick is pushed off center, the faster it takes the spinner is being spun. Put the joystick back to center, and it as the spinner as stopped spinning, and the player will stop at whatever is it's current position.

As a side note, it looks to be very very sensitive. It takes very little joystick movement to quickly move across the screen. I didn’t try slowing this down, as I don’t think it is working the way you’d want anyway.

So similarly with the paddles. When the paddle is at "center", the player holds it's current position (which is not necessarily the center of the screen). Move the paddle right of center to move right - the more right of center the faster, and likewise for left. Put the paddle back to "center" to stop moving and stay at the current position (again, not necessarily the center of the screen).

So, what you are controlling is the speed, where what you are probably wanting is to directly control the position as you would in a 2600 paddle game.

I think it would be possible to have the paddles (analog joystick) work this way - controlling the position - but it is a program change that would have to be made to MAME/Arkanoid. Maybe if the MAME team gets requests, they will consider doing this.

The driving controllers are spinners, but last I knew were not supported by MAME/MESS. And even if they where supported, they only have 16 positions per rotation and probably not a good option.

Tom

Hi Gang,

Have tested my Visiondapters and all is great with Coleco and original Intellivision controllers [iNTV1].

I know they are not inexpensive but don't miss out as I did in past with other efforts by not ordering extra. Strike while the iron is hot is the lesson I've learned with custom adapters.

I dealt with Tom a bit off-line and he was able to create custom firmware that allows Visiondapter support for TI 99 4/a Joysticks! I'm using the same exact sticks my cool Mom {may she rest in peace} purchased for me 30+ years ago to play Tombstone City, Alpiner, Tunnels Of Doom, Zero Zap, and more using MESS.

The 99/4a firmware is not on his site but contact him, if you're a TI fan you'll be glad you did. Oh and call your Mom if your still lucky enough to be able I would give anything if I could again.

Edited by JL

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Support for the adaptor in Javatari is working fine, right Tom? ;)

Regards,

Peccin

The joystick and paddle 1 looks good. Paddle 2 works but the settings have to be changed first. Have you considered paddles 3 & 4? And just to throw it out there, the 2600-II also supports the keypads.

I'm sending a PM regarding the driving controllers.

Tom

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Having a problem may be on my end could be driver. 2600 joystick doesn't work quite right but the plug on the controller is a little beat up missing the metal piece's in the pinholes. Some games work just fine, others (chuck norris super kicks) fire button doesn't always work. Other games doesn't always recognize directional movement's (combat)

Tried the controller in a real 2600 seems to work fine. Just wondering if anyone has any input. Controller may be at the end of it's life I suppose.

Having a problem may be on my end could be driver. 2600 joystick doesn't work quite right but the plug on the controller is a little beat up missing the metal piece's in the pinholes. Some games work just fine, others (chuck norris super kicks) fire button doesn't always work. Other games doesn't always recognize directional movement's (combat)

Tried the controller in a real 2600 seems to work fine. Just wondering if anyone has any input. Controller may be at the end of it's life I suppose.

The controllers only have metal pieces in the holes for pins that controller uses. The joystick only uses 4 of the top 5 and 2 of the bottom 2.

What do you get if you try in it in windows control panel->game controller? Does everything show as working?

Tom

• Like 1

@dualcam:

One idea for a project would be to do the exact opposite: An adapter to take any USB joystick and make it work on a real Atari 2600. I have a few Playstation to USB adapters that I use because the controller is heavenly. Sometimes I switch to a full USB arcade stick, though. It's be awesome to use those on a real 2600 =)

@dualcam:

One idea for a project would be to do the exact opposite: An adapter to take any USB joystick and make it work on a real Atari 2600. I have a few Playstation to USB adapters that I use because the controller is heavenly. Sometimes I switch to a full USB arcade stick, though. It's be awesome to use those on a real 2600 =)

Interesting idea - that should be possible. Could be a good winter project.

Tom

• 2 months later...