IGNORED

How many harmony carts have been sold?

My current projects are utilizing the advanced features in order to hopefully spur sales of Harmony & Melody carts so that batari can recoup the money he spent developing it.

I don't have a Harmony cart yet-- although I had meant to buy one of the first ones (just had other $ stuff come up at the time)-- but I'm starting to experiment with DPC+ kernels in assembly. Not saying I'll ever have anything for *sale*, but I'd love to see all or most future 2600 programs take advantage of the Harmony's features!

By the way, what's the price up to? I know the price has gone up once or twice now. I need to buy one sooner or later. Right now I have no way to test my DPC+ stuff on a real 2600.

Michael

There are some quirks with Stella's implementation where DPC+ and ARM code runs OK on Stella but not on the real thing. As such, I recommend getting one before you get too far along on a project, else it could be extremely difficult to track down what's not working correctly.

$60 for standard, $80 for deluxe.

Someone else asked about the market potential for an atari product in another thread and I thought this question might be relevant to him. Now I'm curious too. Also, any idea of the number of Krok/Cuttle carts sold?

What thread?

Market potential is hard to estimate without knowing anything about the product.

Someone else asked about the market potential for an atari product in another thread and I thought this question might be relevant to him. Now I'm curious too. Also, any idea of the number of Krok/Cuttle carts sold?

What thread?

It's item #10 on the list of questions in this thread: 2600 Questions

Market potential is hard to estimate without knowing anything about the product.

Speaking of improvements to the 2600, the DPC+ is rather advanced for it as is, however I would love to see dedicated frame-buffer functions for bank 6, and data fetchers that can access all banks not just bank 6 as well. (can be done internally inside the DPC? without bothering the 6507?)

This way you can do advanced tile mappings of the screen space and have the future DPC++ handle scrolling and masking of sprite data.

But most of these functions are really just catering it to myself though :D I can probably still make it do these things with some custom ARM code.

There are some quirks with Stella's implementation where DPC+ and ARM code runs OK on Stella but not on the real thing. As such, I recommend getting one before you get too far along on a project, else it could be extremely difficult to track down what's not working correctly.

Patches are welcome to fix the deficiencies in Stella :)

The HI / LOW discrepancy is probably easy to fix, just need to know what's happening in the Harmony's DPC+ routines and make Stella match.

The crashing of ARM code is another matter, though we did find a change in custom.S (used when compiling the ARM code) that may have fixed that issue. Need to do a lot of testing to confirm it one way or another.

Edited by SpiceWare

What thread?

It's item #10 on the list of questions in this thread: 2600 Questions

Thanks. Well, they said exactly nothing about the "product."

Atari 2600 stuff is already very much a niche market. I would say that depending on the product, you'd have a market potential between a few and a few hundred units - the former being an overpriced, poorly-programmed demo that only collectors would buy, and the latter being a reasonably-priced, must-have product.

I would say that in general, the market is not very viable if your idea is to hire someone to design a product (and indeed, there are many examples of epic failures here). However, if you possess the technical skills yourself, that's another story, and while you may generate a profit, when you account for your time, it may be less than minimum wage.

• Like 1

Atari 2600 stuff is already very much a niche market. I would say that depending on the product, you'd have a market potential between a few and a few hundred units - the former being an overpriced, poorly-programmed demo that only collectors would buy, and the latter being a reasonably-priced, must-have product.

I would say that in general, the market is not very viable if your idea is to hire someone to design a product (and indeed, there are many examples of epic failures here). However, if you possess the technical skills yourself, that's another story, and while you may generate a profit, when you account for your time, it may be less than minimum wage.

I fully agree with this. IMO, one should never enter into this market specifically expecting to make a profit. At best, it will either be a break-even deal, or turn into a labour of love. Don't mean to discourage anyone, but it's best to be honest up front and let people know what they're getting into.

For my work on Stella over the past 10 years, all the contributions I've received probably add up to equivalent of 1/2 a weeks wages :) And I do appreciate every donation that's been made. But if you do something in this area, it has to be because you want to, not because you expect to make a fortune (or even minimum wage) doing it.

For my work on Stella over the past 10 years, all the contributions I've received probably add up to equivalent of 1/2 a weeks wages :) And I do appreciate every donation that's been made. But if you do something in this area, it has to be because you want to, not because you expect to make a fortune (or even minimum wage) doing it.

My own little Atari projects have provided me with the means to acquire probably 4 times the number of other people's homebrew cartridges than I'd have been able to with only my own disposable income. All my Atari income stayed in the Atariage ecosystem as store credit (and has long since dried up) but that's more than I'd ever have expected from such a niche hobby. I roll my eyes whenever people start talking about market analysis and potential profits... either you're compelled to write a 2600 game as a passion project or as an artistic or scholarly statement, or you're embarking on a quest which you've already failed. Hardware is a more complex issue, but 2600 accessories haven't been an industry in about 28 years and it's not going to just spontaneously come back to life now. It gets created when there's an itch to be scratched, and someone figures out how to scratch it without having to win the lottery, like the need for one-off portable 2600s with tiny paddles, or a RAM-loaded, flash-enabled 2600 cart with a coprocessor.

I have both a Cuttle and a Harmony. I've never actually tried the Harmony because I have no more TVs with antenna inputs and can't find either my old VCR or AV-modded 2600; my life has been chaos for over half a decade now. But I look forward to finally, after all these years, being able to have every variation of every homebrew ever made -- hell, almost every game ever made including Pitfall 2 -- on a single cart with a nice menu and 5 bucks worth of SD card in it. I'd guess that the Harmony's continued production alone means that there are more out there than there are of Cuttle Carts.

• Like 1

The Harmony cart needs a slogan similar to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9o2I5Z0cpY&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0&start=28

Crank out so many that there are more Harmony carts than there are Atari 2600s. Then when somebody starts making a new Atari 2600 clone, there will be enough for everybody. If the new 'clone' turns out to be the Stellacon that uses bin files itself, then people wouldn't need the Harmony cart for that, but who knows what will happen, so more Harmony carts better be made just in case. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

take the number of carts purchased, and add one. I will soon be the proud owner of a Harmony Cart!

Just in time, too. I just found my 2600's power supply and little RCA>Coax adapter!

Now all I need to get is a copy of Dan Iacovelli's Laserman and a genesis controller.

• 3 weeks later...

i wish i could get a hold of batari before i ordered one. i never place an order without contacting someone. cant email him. can message him on the board. whats up with that?

What's wrong with that?

Write him a contact message on the board and let him decide if he wants to meet your requirements.