IGNORED

2600 3D Rubik's Cube Discovered!

Albert

I don't know if those shots are possible with flicker :-)

Who is David Winter anyway? If you read his Pong-Story even that is highly suspect :-)

He gives credit to Ralph Baer for inventing the video game, when he didn't even build a video game machine until 1966, almost 14 years after Tennis for two. But because Ralph Baer claims to have thought of the idea in 1951 he is the inventor :-) Silly...

I think it would definitely have to be a combo of player and playfield, but I think it has to be coded to see if it's really possible. The details and timing are too tricky (for me at least) to work out without programming.

I noticed the dithering on the first shot too, and that's little strange. But it may have just come from the program he used to convert the PCX files to GIFs. It's also a little weird that the shots are significantly taller than what Z26 generates. They appear to be padded on the top and bottom.

But I can't find any problems with the cube layout. There are no extra squares of any color or pieces that shouldn't exist. If it is a fake, he was really careful.

Also, the longest arrow+text at the bottom is exactly 48 pixels as it should be.

-Paul

... and here's the amazing solve option. On my 2600, the game would automatically rotate the cube so as to finish the game. Under Z26, that was manually done, yet I don't recall how I got the automatic solve to work. That could be an A/B option, so gimme some time to dig my 2600 out of my attic and I'll give you more infos.

Here is something weird, he says it works on his 2600 but he hasn't gotten it from the attic yet. What is that, magic ? :?

I am curious to see more information. ... smells like Airworld !

Here is something weird, he says it works on his 2600 but he hasn't gotten it from the attic yet. What is that, magic ?  :?  

I am curious to see more information. ... smells like Airworld ![/size]

I have more faith in this one than I do the Airworld proto, actually. Some of the information doesn't make sense but at least it's not completely unrealistic to think this was in development. Obviously they were not opposed to releasing a Rubik's Cube game, since I have the silver label of that, and when they couldn't work out the licensing they changed it slightly and made Atari Video Cube, and I have the silver label of that too. So why isn't it possible to think that when they were having licensing problems, they switched from the expensive to develop 3-D to the simple to develop 2-D, hoping that if they saved money there the licensing would still be worked out in the end?

Who is David Winter anyway? If you read his Pong-Story even that is highly suspect :-)

Well, AFAIK the site has been up for ages and there's even my PC version of pong posted there since long ago (http://www.pong-story.com/pcpong.htm, look for PONG1.2) :)

If I remember well, I've heard from David once or twice when I asked him to replace the binary to the above mentioned Pong version... all went fine!

Dunno this time, thou :)

Rasty.-

And has anybody checked, if the patterns are possible with a real Rubik's Cube :?:

As someone who can still solve the Rubik's Cube (yeah I was a geek kid :P) looking at those picture.. it seems fine enough to me. Although at first though I was thrown off by this pic:

title.gif

As it initially seemed there there were 5 corners for the orange color! But then I looked closer and I guess there are two very similar colors there.. orange and a mustard-ish color. So it does look ok. I guess I could take a cube and try to recreate some of the patterns.. if only I had a cube here at work :ponder:

Of course however, if you peel off the stickers you can stick them back on in any pattern you want, but I digress... :D

Who is David Winter anyway?

A David Winter exists. If you google for "David Winter" AND Atari you e.g. find this:

http://www.atarihq.com/rgvc/profile/david_winter.html

http://www.myatari.net/issues/jun2002/pong.htm

IMO it's safe to say: The man is not a fake. :)

Who is David Winter anyway?

A David Winter exists. If you google for "David Winter" AND Atari you e.g. find this:

http://www.atarihq.com/rgvc/profile/david_winter.html

http://www.myatari.net/issues/jun2002/pong.htm

IMO it's safe to say: The man is not a fake. :)

Ha ha ha ha ha! Wayyyy too much time on your hands :-) So who's gonna bug him for proof?

Since the ROM is dumped already and works with z26, the easiest way for a proof without giving away the whole binary, would be to use the trace mode of the emulator and post the (zipped!) output of the display kernel (lines ~30 ..160) here or e.g. to me ;).

Then it would be quite "easy" to find out how the display kernel works. Maybe not every detail, but the basic principle should be recognizable.

Hi guys,

A few things in this message.

1) Rumors & such

As a long time video game collector, I totally understand that you doubt about the existence of this prototype, and I should thank you for doing so because it shows how much interest there is in the 2600 community. So thanks in some way guys.

I also discovered in this discussion that this game displayed more colors than possible ? Well, what you see on my screen-shots IS what I captured on my PC running Z26. There is NOTHING changed in the screenshots. I only took the 320x200 bitmaps to do quick captures and provide information faster.

Those who know me can trust me: this is NOT a fake. The thing is, I absolutely HATE those lame ebay resellers who abuse of people's possessions, and enjoy reselling what they buy to make more money on people's back. For this reason, I don't want to hear about any ebay resale of this game. I paid to acquire this prototype, and therefore, don't see why some people would give themselves the right to "short-circuit" me and make the money I deserve.

As I said, I WILL do cartridge because I want to share with you the interest we have on this game, but this requires some permissions (copyrights, etc), some investment in cartridge cases and such, and this will take some time.

I WILL try to provide some proofs of authenticity to 2600 programers, but will NOT provide any binary image. Please understand this.

2) Hardware

The prototype came as a small 2-eprom board holding two 2716 eproms. There is NO sarah chip on the board. Just 1 or 2 extra TTL chips for the chip selection (lower 2K / higher 2K). So, maybe this game wil let you discover another trick to display more colors ??? I hope so !!!

hmmmm, David ya know I was like totally backing you on this, but.... seeing that Avatar... He's a madman, run!!! :D

Just Joking dude,

Glad to see you reading the thread and responding to people's inquiries. If you're considering making carts you should seriously speak with Alex and Albert here at Atariage, you're not going to find a pair of more honest and helpful people in the community and go look at their store, they've got cartridge making down to an art, the boards, cases and especially those labels!!! They'll do such a game total justice in a reproduction-release.

Curt