IGNORED

ANALOG Magazine Disk (image) #31 (06/85)

rost

Does anybody have an ATR of disk #31, June 1985?

The ATR from Holmes ist the wrong. It's labeled as #31 but in real it is #27.

Maybe the Atr in the Torrent is false too (but i did not check)

(If you have in your #31 ATR a file "MFWB.ACT" - your Atr ist false too...

Just to proof the ATR.)

Sorry for my poor english and

thanks in advance

Does anybody have an ATR of disk #31, June 1985?

The ATR from Holmes ist the wrong. It's labeled as #31 but in real it is #27.

Maybe the Atr in the Torrent is false too (but i did not check)

(If you have in your #31 ATR a file "MFWB.ACT" - your Atr ist false too...

Just to proof the ATR.)

Sorry for my poor english and

thanks in advance

It's a long listing. How about a community effort? I'll type in page 28 and 29 and maybe 30. How about someone taking pages

31 to 34, four people, one page each. Only page 33 would require an Atari ATASCII and even that little bit could be just ordinary/non-inverse, it wouldn't matter.

It requires an ACTION! cart to run as it is in the magazine. It has been compiled with a runtime however, that might be a little challenge. My wife says the original poster should type it in, heh heh.

Edited by russg

It's a long listing. How about a community effort? I'll type in page 28 and 29 and maybe 30. How about someone taking pages

31 to 34, four people, one page each.

Thanks, but there is no need to type it in. The listing can be found >here<, but the programm seems still buggy...

I think there are some typo-error's in the listing, that why i'm looking for the Disk-Image.

And following murphy's law the ATR in Holmes-Archiv ist the wrong one and the one posted above too... :(

Edited by rost

31 to 34, four people, one page each.

Thanks, but there is no need to type it in. The listing can be found >here<, but the programm seems still buggy...

I think there are some typo-error's in the listing, that why i'm looking for the Disk-Image.

And following murphy's law the ATR in Holmes-Archiv ist the wrong one and the one posted above too... :(

I spent about four hours checking the listing from the URL you posted and found about 6 differences from the printed listing in issue 31. I say difference rather than errors because the corrected file still doesn't compile and run well, using an ACTION! cart on a real Atari. I suppose rost is hoping the listing in the original disk is without errors. Maybe someone has an original disk. The differences I found indicate that the listing is a OCR'd listing because 0's 8's and 6's get mis-identified, which is common in OCR.

I also found two rand(0) errors, spaces where there should be none.

I messed with it some. It sets the display list and screen memory as constants, then manipulates the screen and display list

as ARRAYs. I'm pretty sure this can cause problems, it should use 88 and 89 for screen memory and 560 and 561 for display list

location. I remember now it is important to distinguish between a location in memory and what is in a location in memory, but

I fail to follow the code.

Perhaps the file ROTO.ACT was not a candidate for disk release, and never added.

ANALOG almost always puts the source code for a magazines' articles on the disk of the month, I'm pretty sure it will have

a ROTO.ACT on the disk, if anyone has it. That doesn't mean that it isn't buggy like the code we already have. We know

that at some point ROTO functions properly as there are lots of copies of the runtime that work fine.

Thanks for your help.

The Listing from the wiki (linked above) compiles only from disk. It should compile without error but the game is not running properly so there are still errors in the code.

If you try to compile with the programm in the editor, the compiler deletes several parts of the listing.

Can you give me the errors you found?

Thanks for your help.

The Listing from the wiki (linked above) compiles only from disk. It should compile without error but the game is not running properly so there are still errors in the code.

If you try to compile with the programm in the editor, the compiler deletes several parts of the listing.

Can you give me the errors you found?

I don't think the errors I found are serious.

1. BYTE ARRAY logo= line 16 88 second from end should be 80.

2. man0= second line there are three 8s it should be 0 0 8 (two zeros instead of 8 8 8

3. next to last byte in man0 should be 0 not 8

4. man1= line one last three should be 20 20 20 instead of 26 26 28

5. in PROC CheckShake() first line, there shouldn't be a space between Rand and (0) first two lines Rand(0) and Rand(5) instead of

Rand (0) and Rand (5). I'm not sure this may be OK with ACTION!

from what I see happening, it seems like the display list is getting corrupted. I think part of the problem is he made the display list be at 34816 in DEFINE at beginning of program and screen memory at 35840 instead of reading 88/89 for screen and 560/561 for DL.

I think this may make it DOS specific.

Edited by russg

DOS 2.0S does some better, it makes a decent opening screen, but the fire button doesn't work on the wall. I think DOS 2.5

also does some better than Sparta. And a real 800 doesn't even work the opening screen. I'm using a 64K 600XL and a 256K 800XL.

Thanks for all help.

Thanks to Larry i got the original roto.act.

It works. (I checked the differences between the files an i changed some * and + so the result is realy different and maybe out of a valid range.)

The listing is added to the wiki linked above.

thanks a lot until to the next buggy listing ;)

Edited by rost

Thanks for all help.

Thanks to Larry i got the original roto.act.

It works. (I checked the differences between the files an i changed some * and + so the result is realy different and maybe out of a valid range.)

The listing is added to the wiki linked above.

thanks a lot until to the next buggy listing ;)

OH, before you go, could you tell me the * and + you changed or found? I found one at PROC vblank() ... hscrol=xs*xsm >> xs+xsm.

But this change still doesn't result in a working ACT file from the one we were working on.

OH, before you go, could you tell me the * and + you changed or found? I found one at PROC vblank() ... hscrol=xs*xsm >> xs+xsm.

But this change still doesn't result in a working ACT file from the one we were working on.

OK here you go...

First there are some differences in

logo and cset, man0 and man1

+/* in vblank (you mentioned)

l/1 in Checkshake

+/* in Scroll (ary=@a ...)

+/* in zapit (4th line)

that's it (i think)

OK here you go...

First there are some differences in

logo and cset, man0 and man1

+/* in vblank (you mentioned)

l/1 in Checkshake

+/* in Scroll (ary=@a ...)

+/* in zapit (4th line)

that's it (i think)

Thanks for that. I was looking at the code and expected some error of logic. The real changes are not major logic problems, just minor, really hard to find OCR changes (seem to me to have been an OCR). How you found the errors is also difficult as you had to go thru the listing and carefully observe the differences, so no offense, but there may be some differences we haven't discovered. Thanks for the correct listing, or also thanks to Larry. I was looking at vdslst=dli a couple places, this is setting up the DLI and I didn't know you could point a variable to a PROC that way.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong again. I typed the changes into the listing from the URL you gave and all is well, the magazine had the correct listing, all errors were differences from the magazine. ANALOG

had a TYPO to check BASIC listings, but there wasn't anything like that for ACTION!

Edited by russg

How you found the errors is also difficult as you had to go thru the listing and carefully observe the differences...

No it was very easy. Many editors (?) like UltraEdit or PSPad (which i use) can shoe you the differences between two files. :)

And yes it's some times realy amazing, which effekt the error's have to a program...

Edited by rost

How you found the errors is also difficult as you had to go thru the listing and carefully observe the differences...

No it was very easy. Many editors (?) like UltraEdit or PSPad (which i use) can shoe you the differences between two files. :)

And yes it's some times realy amazing, which effekt the error's have to a program...

I tried holding the original and the corrected printed pages up to a light to detect differences. Not a very good method.

Your program to detect differences, well, there were places where there was a line of space in one and not the other, there were

other places where the indentation was different, a simple comparison would have to allow for non-important differences like

spaces and sometimes an IF would be at the end of a line and one carriage return down in another.

I tried to compile it with an ACTION! runtime. No success, I used a couple RUNTIMEs and RTSCAN3.COM and RTWRITE.COM, but it

didn't work. We know somebody succeeded in making a BIN file out of it. I've written ACTION! code, but never a game.

I used RT_NOGR.ACT as an INCLUDE, but I had no graphics, and my program was very small.

Your program to detect differences, well, there were places where there was a line of space in one and not the other, there were

other places where the indentation was different, a simple comparison would have to allow for non-important differences like

spaces and sometimes an IF would be at the end of a line and one carriage return down in another.

Yes, right, but the program shows both listings side by side and colors the differences, so you can check with one glance what ist different.

I tried to compile it with an ACTION! runtime. No success, I used a couple RUNTIMEs and RTSCAN3.COM and RTWRITE.COM, but it

didn't work. We know somebody succeeded in making a BIN file out of it. I've written ACTION! code, but never a game.

I used RT_NOGR.ACT as an INCLUDE, but I had no graphics, and my program was very small.

Which BIN do you mean? The bin in the file linked above is compiled without the Runtime.

Which error-message did you get?

I failded too in compiling it with the runtime.

Maybe at the time the program was written, the runtime did not exists yet (horrible english, i think).

So the program was never testet to compile with the runtime.

I tried with the original RT from ACS - Error.

The problem is in my Opinion two different sets of defines.

So i changed the original RT; for the defines beeing obsolete.

After that i ran out of Symboltablespace. Error 61.

I tried the Bigsymboltablespace-hack from ACS (more entries possible)

Still error 61.

I tried big STSpace and increased the memoryspace for the ST (SET $495 = 12).

But get now error 9 (Variable not declared.) - don't know why, because everything is declared.

What do the Programs RTSCAN3.COM and RTWRITE.COM, sounds quite intressting.

Sounds like the Programs checks for the necessary parts of the runtime - are this programs checked and valid?

Where can i cet these programs?

Maybe the result of this programm and the solutions above could solve the problem...

Edited by rost

Yes, right, but the program shows both listings side by side and colors the differences, so you can check with one glance what ist different.

Which BIN do you mean? The bin in the file linked above is compiled without the Runtime.

Which error-message did you get?

I failded too in compiling it with the runtime.

Maybe at the time the program was written, the runtime did not exists yet (horrible english, i think).

So the program was never testet to compile with the runtime.

I tried with the original RT from ACS - Error.

The problem is in my Opinion two different sets of defines.

So i changed the original RT; for the defines beeing obsolete.

After that i ran out of Symboltablespace. Error 61.

I tried the Bigsymboltablespace-hack from ACS (more entries possible)

Still error 61.

I tried big STSpace and increased the memoryspace for the ST (SET $495 = 12).

But get now error 9 (Variable not declared.) - don't know why, because everything is declared.

What do the Programs RTSCAN3.COM and RTWRITE.COM, sounds quite intressting.

Sounds like the Programs checks for the necessary parts of the runtime - are this programs checked and valid?

Where can i cet these programs?

Maybe the result of this programm and the solutions above could solve the problem...

I already replied to this, but it seems to have disappeared. RTWRITE is used on a RTLIST file created by RTSCAN.COM to make

a runtime.ACT that covers what is used in the original ACT file. The BIN I'm talking about is ROTO.OBJ, it is a ML file

that runs ROTO, has been around since about the time ROTO came out. Following is a .zip file with ROTO.OBJ, a RUNTIME.ACT

and three RTSCAN versions. RTWRITE has to have RTLIST file and RUNTIME.ACT (must use those names).

Sorry about all the files in the .zip, or maybe it is being deleted?

RUNTIME.zip

Edited by russg

russg,

I believe there was a CRC checking program for ACTION! I think it was called D:CHECK in ACTION! I thought it was from Analog, but I could be mistaken. It could also have been created after ROTO was published.

Russ

@russg: the programs in the zip are based on Jeff Reisters Runtime. I don't know this runtime. And i don't know if the programs (f.e. search) needs a special syntax in the code. As an example: maybe you have to write "Rand(10)" in stead of "Rand (10)".

As i think, the runtime uses no addional symboltable space, because all proc's and func's should be the same as in the cardridge (at least for the original RTP). So to delete some parts of the RTP saves no symboltable space only diskspace.

I compiled Roto without changes with the original runtime from disk, but it's necessary to enhance the pages for the symboltable. Just enter "SET $495=16" in the monitor before compiling (default = 8 pages).

@russg: the programs in the zip are based on Jeff Reisters Runtime. I don't know this runtime. And i don't know if the programs (f.e. search) needs a special syntax in the code. As an example: maybe you have to write "Rand(10)" in stead of "Rand (10)".

As i think, the runtime uses no addional symboltable space, because all proc's and func's should be the same as in the cardridge (at least for the original RTP). So to delete some parts of the RTP saves no symboltable space only diskspace.

I compiled Roto without changes with the original runtime from disk, but it's necessary to enhance the pages for the symboltable. Just enter "SET $495=16" in the monitor before compiling (default = 8 pages).

I'm not sure I understand you. 'The original runtime from disk' what disk? Did you 'INCLUDE D:RUNTIME.ACT'? The SET $495=16

works to compile, but I still don't get a .COM/.OBJ that runs without the ACTION! cart. The article says, and it works, to

CLEAR the listing in the editor and compile from disk.