IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Anything that a child of the '80s or '90s would want to collect has become "collectible", so yeah, even among books and records and the like, the pickings just aren't what they used to be. We just need to go back to collecting something nobody else has any interest in. Hmm... Clothes with Strange Stains? We could catalog by scent and color... or maybe not.

Anyway, I still keep at it, and not just because I have an "in" at one shop. As FireStar found out, even a trip to Goodwill can still yield a bounty once in a while!

Do you have a Reel to Reel player? I don't have one but would like to find one eventually. I recently sold a bunch of factory pre-recorded tapes I got in an estate sale lot and would have messaged you if I knew you were interested.

I do, sort of. It's actually the very one my mother had, but I don't think it works. She eventually stopped using it and I vaguely remember she had a friend look at it who said it needed a new spring that wasn't readily available. Neither of us can recall any specific details, so I may just have to pull it down from the shelf and try my luck.

I don't know that I'm actually collecting reels now, but I like having random music bits to line the shelves with. That's why I also have a case of 8-tracks and I'm building a small collection of '80s cassettes. Heaven help me if I ever come across a stash of prerecorded MiniDiscs.

That Glass Tiger album is very good

I admit I don't know the band's work beyond their one big hit, but then that's one of the reasons I buy these, to give the rest of the catalog a chance.

A couple weeks ago, I hit up a local retro store (they sell comics, records, games, etc.) and picked up a few games. Among them was WWF Superstars for the Game Boy. When I got home and popped it in the ol' GBA, nothing happened. Huh? I took it out to see if the pins were dirty, and, well, this is what I saw:

YOqjFq9.jpg

The game's not going to work without a game in it! So, I brought the thing back over the weekend. I also brought with me some PSOne stuff I had kicking around and traded that in and got this stuff:

o4yCOOs.jpg

kTFcB3Q.jpg

The games:

-Scramble Spirits CIB (SMS)

-Field Combat CIB (Famicom)

-Demon Attack (INTV)

-3D Tic-Tac-Toe (2600)

-Power Joy multicart (Famicom)

A couple things were surprises to me. First, Scramble Spirits. At this store, they keep their commons on a shelf and the rare or more valuable stuff in a case. This one was in the case, and I vaguely remember an arcade game with that name, but never heard of a home port, especially for the SMS. Turns out that it was never released in the US, and that it's a PAL title. That got me worried, because I didn't know if it would even work in my SMS or Power Base Converter. Well, it does! and it's AWESOME! Its a vertical scrolling shooter that's like a cross between Fire Shark, 1943, and Xevious. It's on my shelf right next to Power Strike. 8)

As for the other stuff...

86EUtnO.jpg

Field Combat was on my list of cheap arcade-style Famicom games to pick up, and finding a boxed, complete copy in MA is pretty uncommon. I really like the small form factor of the Famicom boxes. Love the anime-inspired cover art, too. And after figuring out how to play the game, it's pretty good!

Not much to say about 3D Tic-Tac-Toe and Demon Attack. 3D Tic-Tac-Toe is a 1986 release, and Demon Attack is my 1st Imagic INTV game.

The real surprise was the Power Joy cart. Pirate carts are always a crap shoot. Sometimes you get 20 games, and other times you get 128 copies of the same 10 games. This one has 64 games, and about 55-60 are unique titles. And most of them were on my list to pick up! This one should keep me busy for a while.

• Like 1

We just need to go back to collecting something nobody else has any interest in.

Compact discs ;)

I can get them for a buck or two, so I keep picking up stuff I wouldn't ordinarily check out.

I've got a pretty decent grunge/alternative collection by now.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

Turns out that it was never released in the US, and that it's a PAL title. That got me worried, because I didn't know if it would even work in my SMS or Power Base Converter. Well, it does! and it's AWESOME!

Almost all SMS cartridges released in PAL-land will work on an NTSC SMS. That is very good news since a lot of great titles, including just about all third-party titles, never saw release in the States.

Compact discs ;)

Very true! My CD collection has also grown immensely thanks to thrift stores.

Stopped by a parts warehouse locally, and found these:

DSC08134.jpg

Atari 2600 switches $0.35 ea

DB9 controller ports $0.50 ea

colecovision reset switch for $0.25 ea

They had a bunch more. For someone who does repair/restoring/modding, it's a pretty good find.

Augh, that woulda been pretty handy three years ago, when I was still living in MI and needed a new switch for my Sixer. :(

I don't get to hunt as often whilst on third shift...going to wake up early tomorrow to do a tiny bit, though.

Doubt I'll find anything =)

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.

I got me a new computer =D

All decked out, Pentium 200MHz MMX, Win98SE, 64MB RAM, 4GB HDD (good and noisy), Asus SP97-V Socket 7 mobo, case is in great shape... $10 Woo!!

Has some on-board video, I don't know how it compares, but I also have a spare S3 Trio64 laying around...and a Voodoo 3 B)

No turbo support, though =( But I've got a 486 for that, this one'll be nice for Windows games from that era. I might swap some parts between the two and throw in some other upgrades.

The whole thing really takes me back to our first Windows computer, even the soundcard's MIDI sounds exactly like I remember. I didn't pop it out to check, but it looks like it's an Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro16 II (ISA).

I forgot how powerful these computers really were...I'm thinking back to the P150 I used for far too long, and I remember running games as new as Half-Life on it. I'm just itching to throw my Voodoo 3 in there and see how much I can get away with.

...oh, and I also found a scratchless copy of the second Spyro the Dragon, and some VHSes =)

Augh, that woulda been pretty handy three years ago, when I was still living in MI and needed a new switch for my Sixer. :(

I didn't even notice that you left!

I had to fix one or two of the switches on my friend's 7800 a while back, I don't remember where I got the replacements...pretty certain I didn't order them online.

Edited by Asaki

I'm on a work trip to Northern VA and I met my wife for lunch and hit a thrift by work. This area still sees a lot of nice CRTs and controllers but I'm not in a position to bring back any more CRT TVs. I ended up grabbing a black first party GameCube controller for 5 bucks and a warbird sans module(of course) for the same. I hope the modules are someday found for cheap (unlikely) as I now have 2 without a module. I needed another controller so I'm happy with the wired one at least.

These were not thrift store donations, and it's actually with a somewhat heavy heart that I post these...

post-6115-0-49100500-1472322924_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-73917500-1472322934_thumb.jpg

post-6115-0-87624400-1472322948_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-02212800-1472322958_thumb.jpg

post-6115-0-55118700-1472322965_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-18025000-1472322978_thumb.jpg

Jackpot, right? So why the heavy heart? These came from my church, and a lot of them, particularly the Atari 2600, NES and Genesis bits, were mine to begin with. A long while back, the youth pastor decided to go a bit retro with the youth area, and created a wall of old tube TV's with a smorgasbord of old game systems hooked up to them. At the time I decided to contribute... maybe because I saw a couple of nice bits I could trade for, like River Raid II for the 2600 and a NES clone that actually plays Gauntlet and The Legend of Zelda. I made sure the church still got the better end of the deal, with complete 2600, Genesis and clone NES bundles to add to the PS2, XBox and other bits that came from elsewhere.

We're on our third youth pastor since that time, and the current guy has decided the youth area needs a new look. The TV's had been disappearing one by one, along with all the other decorations that maybe shouldn't have been there in the first place... road signs of dubious origin, for example. This past week he finally boxed up all the consoles and gave the church staff, including my roommate, first dibs. Naturally it took me about 1.5 seconds to say, "All of it, please." And that's what I got.

It's a pity the kids won't get to play these old systems anymore, but now that smart phones and tablets and the like are everywhere, I doubt these were seeing much use anyway. Oh well. I'll make sure it all finds good homes.

• Like 1

It was from two yard sales - the PS1 and most of the PS1 games were from one sale for $10 and the other PS1 (like FF Origins)/PS2/xbox games were from another sale where the gal said that I could have all the games I wanted for $1 - not each but $1 total! They had 5 GC games (Windwaker being one of them) but all of the discs were missing and she said "oh well, I think they were in a CD case that was already sold." GAR!!!!!! I said that's too little for the games and she said "well if you feel generous I'll take $3" so I gave her $3. Nice people.

Dang if all 3 wavebirds are working 100% and you sell em on eBay, it'd pay off the rest of the lot.

They are :) I am selling them all. Trying all 3 at once but might sell them separate. I still have 2 of my own anyhow and I just sold 2 a few weeks ago. Seems I am a wavebird magnet lol. I actually have another set but the controller does not work, but the receiver is where the money is anyhow.

They are :) I am selling them all. Trying all 3 at once but might sell them separate. I still have 2 of my own anyhow and I just sold 2 a few weeks ago. Seems I am a wavebird magnet lol. I actually have another set but the controller does not work, but the receiver is where the money is anyhow.

I don't even bother looking at the cost if I see a receiver in store anymore. I have 2 sans receiver after many moves around the US over the last decade, sadly. It's a great addition to the GCN but the cost just feels just too high. I think 15 is my limit and that's like halfish what I usually see for the module. And then I feel the guilt of the poor orphaned controller. That GCN lot there is a great find.

Didn't think I'd actually be laboring on Labor Day, but I literally just picked up a flatscreen, widescreen, HD CRT with HDMI Toshiba set that was a curbside pickup for free. It was right around the corner from me, and had just been put out. Came with the remote too, and it's all in great shape. It's still in the back of one of my vehicles, but there'll be a Marketplace thread soon for anyone who's interested.

• Like 1

Had a close call yesterday. I was out and about, and found a small antique store I had never been to. These places are usually hit or miss (mostly misses), but I popped in anyway. As I meander around the shop, I see a glass case with a hodgepodge of Atari stuff: a 2600 Jr., a Video Touch Pad, some joysticks, a pile of 400/800 games (?) and one of these:

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

A Video Game Brain switcher.... with no price tag, of course.

The Jr has a price of $50, each of the 400/800 games was individually priced, but no price on the Game Brain. And since the lady at the shop couldn't come up with a price, I walked out in frustration. Blah. :(

TBH it's not worth much. A few games doesn't work well on multi-cart system like the above Game Brain and RomScanner. Plus if you have Harmony, it's a moot point having a system to cram in multiple carts at once.

I really need to find my RomScanner and a boxed Brain Game and dump em on eBay.

Looks like a fun novelty, though. I have flash carts for various systems, but I still like having actual carts around...nice having flash carts for the ridiculous priced games, though =)

Why wouldn't certain games work? Are some of the pins missing or something? Or is it like how Activision games are troublesome on a heavy sixer?

TBH it's not worth much. A few games doesn't work well on multi-cart system like the above Game Brain and RomScanner. Plus if you have Harmony, it's a moot point having a system to cram in multiple carts at once.

I really need to find my RomScanner and a boxed Brain Game and dump em on eBay.

I would have offered $10-15 for it just because it looked cool.