IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

First, test the controllers in the other port - it is extremely unlikely to have both ports fail in exactly the same way. (Except for 6-switch consoles and fire button problems, which usually indicate a failed buffer IC, part no. CD4050 or CO10181602, especially if the symptoms are such that it seems like the fire buttons are always stuck down - even when there's no controller in the port.)
Uhh... that's only for the 5200. He's got a 2600 to worry about, and almost certainly it just needs to be opened up and the controller port solder joints reheated with a soldering iron.

Thrift finds... oh yeah. Got out today and found a C64+1541 ("M" key on keyboard was broken) for $4, and two different Batman games for Sega Genesis bundled togehter for $5, but I had neither, and one of them was Batman Returns, which at R4 was rare enough to be worth the effort.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

First, test the controllers in the other port - it is extremely unlikely to have both ports fail in exactly the same way. (Except for 6-switch consoles and fire button problems, which usually indicate a failed buffer IC, part no. CD4050 or CO10181602, especially if the symptoms are such that it seems like the fire buttons are always stuck down - even when there's no controller in the port.)
Uhh... that's only for the 5200. He's got a 2600 to worry about, and almost certainly it just needs to be opened up and the controller port solder joints reheated with a soldering iron.

Having fixed two heavy sixers myself with exactly this problem, I can say with 100% certainty that you're mistaken. 2600 "heavy sixer" and "light sixer" consoles do indeed use a failure-prone buffer IC to buffer the fire button inputs (as well as the video outputs) of the "Stella" TIA IC. One of those that I replaced had the long Atari part number and one had the generic CMOS number. I don't remember if either was socketed but I don't think so. Both were socketed when I was finished with them, though!

Edited by A.J. Franzman

today's very nice 2600 find, thanks to goodwill.

all complete:

frogs and flies-shrinkwrapped, opened at bottom

space attack-shrinkwrapped, opened at top

astroblast-shrinkwrapped, opened at top

lock 'n' chase

threshold

spike's peak/ghost manor-the shrinkwrap is open at the bottom, but the box itself doesn't look like it's been opened.

$1.99 each

boxed video touch pad (did this release come with instructions or a star raiders overlay?)-$2.99.

most of the games have little slips of paper tucked inside with scores and notes written on them-apparently, lock 'n' chase works best with the wico controller. :) oddly, the frogs and flies manual is folded in a very different way than usual, but there are no creases to suggest that it was ever folded the standard M network way...

post-3233-1145069735_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Today, at the flea market, I picked up a Myriad Games 6-in-1 NES cartridge, numbered #000866, and a Wildfire LED pinball game by Parker Brothers, copyright 1979. $10 total. Sweet.

Edit: I checked on the Digital Press rarity guide, that Myriad 6-in-1 cart is worth around $350. Holy crap! I didn't realise how rare it was. I didn't think any of those NES multicarts were anything special, like the Caltron 6-in-1 NES carts... an electronic junk store I used to go to in the early '90s had loads of those things. I wish I would have picked one up, but the games sounded lame.

Edited by SteveW

found a copy of chrono trigger and super mario rpg for $15 each, a nasty dirty snes under a table for $15 (cleaned it up, it looks amazing, brand new even, and works with all tested cartridges!). Game Gear dc car adaptor - $2 and old style nintendo cartridge holder - $2.

Drove down to San Antonio yesterday and stopped at the "important" places along the way.

Found a Lynx with California Games at a flea market. I wasn't too interested (not having any particular love for it), but when I asked the guy how much and he said ten bucks, I couldn't say no. Yeah, a Lynx for $10.

At Bussey's flea market, I didn't find anything video games related worth buying, but I did talk a bit with one of the semi-regular vendors who is a collector and has been trying to sell (among other things) a few PCE games. I also found an old board game called "Surpise Attack" from 1976 for $1. It had a bunch of crappy masking tape wrapped around it, and with my mad googone skillz, I managed to get that crap off without making it look worse than any other part of the lid.

On the way back, I stopped at a Blockbuster / Game Rush where I usually find good stuff. They had some new games marked down to half price, so I got Xenosaga 2 (PS2) for $10, Sega Classics Collection (PS2) for $7.50, Metroid (GBA) for $4.99, an Xbox wind-up controller extension for $3, and a used copy of Koudelka (PS1) with nothing but the four CDs for $5.

Then I found a copy of the board game Carcassonne (basic+river set) and an expansion (princess & dragon, still shrinkwrapped) for $20 total at a Half Price Books. I've been wanting to get a copy eventually, and now I'm glad I waited.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Local fleamarket picked up 2 atari 7800 controllers for 4 bucks.

The seller said NO when i offered 6 bucks for 3.

The seller said OK when i offered 4 bucks for 2.

LOL.

That's not totally insane. Many times when a store offers a great deal, they'll only let you buy so many. The conspiracy theory is that if they didn't limit you, one person could walk out with the entire stock and then scalp everyone else with a higher price. The more practicaly theory is that it keeps stock on the shelf longer, which encourages more people to come in and look at the rest of the store.

Let's just hope the seller really was reasoning along those lines, and that he or she does know how to do math. :)

Edited by skunkworx

Didn't find much today. Went to the Irving Goodwill and picked up an Atari 5200 controller for $3.99, an IBM/Apple II analog controller for $1.99 (that i'm hoping I might be able to convert to a 5200 joystick, if I can get some help on it) and a shrinkwrapped copy of Polarium for the Nintendo DS for $4.99. They had a stack of Polarium games, all unopened. I wonder how these things end up in thrift stores.

I saw the poor ol' Atari 400 that Prodos8's mentioned before, in it's torn up box. On the top shelf was the box for the cassette drive and software, called something like the Explorer Pack, but inside the box was just a couple CX-40 joysticks and the 400's power supply. Passed on all of it. I also passed on a Thrustmaster joystick that was sitting around.

$shipped is p[retty good nowadays for a fleabay..

now for my non thrift aquisition..

3 21" inch monitors!.. two gateway vivtrons and a dell trinitron..

all for the low low price of FREE!!! :D

of course I did have to lug these 70pound monsters down three flights of stairs and half a city block each to aquire them..

just pretend its a keg and suck it up..

I think I'll go for the scottish games this year :ponder:

so.. I've stepped up from a nice 17 inch.. to a kick ASS 21inch monitor..

and I have two matching.. and a couple of repeat PCI video cards..

yep. looks like theres going to be a duel monitor set-up REAL soon :D

Yep, they offered the always affordable Media-Mail. :D For those 3 games it was only like $1.50 for shipping! :P Gotta love Media Mail! :lust: And I don't even care if I have to wait a week...I HATE sellers who try to make a living off of shipping charges.... :roll:

Edited by kevincal

Here's the lamest one ever...

Value Village: E.T.: Phone Home Adventure PC CD-ROM - 1.99

Hey! I used to like E.T. when I was a kid!

I hang my head in shame.

Last year I saw a thrift that had a couple baggies full of E.T. Christmas ornaments! They were the standard glass balls painted white with E.T. on the side. They were in little individual cardboard storage boxes to keep them from getting too damaged. The next time I went in, they were gone. There's a lot of people who still like E.T. (luckily, a lot of them never played the Atari 2600 game). :)

I went to have pizza buffet for lunch today, and I decided to walk down to the other end of the strip mall and see what the Blockbuster had.

I got four PS1 games for $2 each, in good condition with covers and instructions. Sim City 2000 GH, Gran Turismo GH, Sammy Sosa High Heat Baseball 2001, and... oh wait, the fourth one was a brand new shrinkwrapped copy of Metal Gear Solid GH, and apparently it was in that "half price automatic coupon" sale because it rang up with a dollar discount. So I actually got MGS PS1 brand new for $1.

There's a lot of people who still like E.T. (luckily, a lot of them never played the Atari 2600 game). :)

with that said.. lets see what you can program in two weeks with a million dollar make or break the company thing hanging over yer head :D

the game is servicable.. it captures all the ET elements, including the major product tie in ( I STILL LOVE reeces pieces) and gets the story arc of the movie down.. it provides all the elemnts to make a good tie in..

unfortunatly.. there wasn't enough time to get the game playdown.. and i guess the pits were supposed to represenitive of ET naked, blue and delerious in the creek bed?

man.. who here hasn't been like that on a random saturday morning huh?

Well, my cousin gave me the Atari 2600 bundle he found at the swap shop at the town dump. The controls were completely wasted, but I did get a few games I didn't already have, Space War, Football, Othello, Star Raiders (with a controller in pretty rough shape - but I think workable), and Riddle of the Sphinx. I haven't tested the actual system yet, if it works I'll likely sell it/give it away.

I also hit a local used game store and picked up some NES games, Breakthru, 720, Operation Wolf, Galaga, Trojan, and Track & Field II. Pretty good for $12 - ends up at $2 a game.