IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Congratulations on getting a Nuon DVD player! I recommend Nuon-Dome for more info about it. And there's some nice homebrews to download there, too. And someone there might help you track down a joystick or two.

Thanks, I've checked out Nuon-dome, and, at the very least, I need to order my T-shirt now! It seems that homebrews only work on the Samsung 501, so I think I'm SOL there. (As long as I can play Tempest 3K, though, I'm good...) I already bought two controllers from ebay, pretty cheap. Now if only the games were cheap... :)

I managed to get the games when they were first available. Yep, I was an early adopter. I ordered a HPI Warrior joypad, and later bought a Logitech controller when Best Buy started carrying them. I picked up a few as spares, just in case.

I recommend Merlin Racing and Tempest 3000. Freefall is a good game, it's just very difficult. Iron Soldier III is hard to find, but it's also recommended. Or you can play the PS1 version, which looks amazingly close to the Nuon version. Ballistic is a good puzzler. There was a used book store chain who's main location had a bunch of copies of Ballistic, but I didn't pick them up. I wish I would have now.

Oooh - Always wanted a Nuon!

Today I had a smallish score today videogamewise, but did really well otherwise.

NES $1 each

Adventures of Link

Donkey Kong 3 (forgot how fun this is)

Empire Strikes Back

3" Sony portable B/W TV from 60's - $3

11 juice glasses from 50's for different states - $3

Casio KX-101 boombox + built in keyboard - free (in trade for some work)

big box of 16mm home movies from 40's - free

BTW if any of you are in the Wisconsin Dells, there are a pair of stores on the main drag (they have a lot of model guns and swords in the windows) that are selling out everything in the store for $5. That includes Famiclones!

Got a Miracle keyboard for $3. No power supply or cables, and it's a bit ugly (bits of masking tape on all the white keys to label their notes), but it makes up for paying too much for the boxed one I got a few months ago (Mac version minus the software). One o' these days I've gotta rig up a cable for it. The Genesis version will probably be easiest for me to get working if I can find the pinout. (too late to look right now)

Today I had a smallish score today videogamewise, but did really well otherwise.

NES $1 each

Adventures of Link

Empire Strikes Back

BTW if any of you are in the Wisconsin Dells, there are a pair of stores on the main drag (they have a lot of model guns and swords in the windows) that are selling out everything in the store for $5. That includes Famiclones!

Damn, I'm not going to the Dells for a couple more weeks yet. Are there any other places of video gaming intrest I should check out while I'm there? I's going to be a little family vacation, but I'm sure I could squeeze a few minutes in someplace for something other than tourist traps. ;)

There are a couple of arcades on the strip. I only ducked into one, and it had a nice selection of your usual skee-ball, shooting gallery, redemption type games. They had some of those Midway multi-game classic cabinets (which seem to often be cranked up too fast to make the gameplay shorter) as well as some more contemporary games. Their biggie is a Dance Dance Revolution clone, so you'll recognize the place when you see it. After Labor Day a lot of the Dells closes down, but I bet that you'll still have fun!

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Back to the topic at hand, went to the annual Humane Society garage sale today, not too much there.

N64 games:

Boxed Pokemon Stadium

Boxed Hey You Pikachu

NES Games:

Minty boxed TMNT

Minty boxed SMB 2

Minty boxed SMB 3

Pokemon edition Gameboy color (sans battery cover)

GBA carry case

I'm sure that most of the good stuff gets picked through during the orginazational process, but you get lucky sometimes. Next year I'm going to try to volunteer for it so I get first dibs :cool:

Passed on a few commons at that were at Best Thrift a block north of Mac Arthur and Reno Ave (Oklahoma City)

There were two Combats, a decent looking Stampede, Vanguard, Asteroids, Video Pinball

Another thrift had some SNES games, one was red! I picked up a translucent green first party N64 pad there with a very tight joystick. I swapped that with the semi tight one I rebuilt in my greay N64 pad, and I've got a green N64 to match the pad I got today.

I think I'm going to put them up for trade.

Do people just list anything they buy at the thrift store here no matter what it is?

Pretty much the way we do it around here. Sometimes you don't find much (I didn't find squat this week), but when you come across something interesting, you just want to brag about it. :D This is a good place for that.

...but when you come across something interesting, you just want to brag about it. :D

Like when you get 20 or so 6-foot ethernet cables, brand new, plus a PC steering wheel with the foot pedals, for $3 total. :) The lady said they were getting ready to clean the place on Monday, so she was ready to make a few deals. I'd say this was a good one.

I also picked up a handful of good NES games at Goodwill for $3 each. I was pleasantly surprised to see all but one of them also came with the manual. Of course, the best gem in the bunch, Tecmo Super Bowl was the one without a manual. I still can't complain, because now I have manuals for Commando, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Gradius and Spy Hunter, among others.

Well today was a good day, for one reason, I found a Streets of Rage 2 game Complete in great condition for $3. I also bought a nes ac adapter, the last one I had I never got back, after bringing it to a friends house, so I was just using the snes/nes power adapter, the one with two cords coming out of the back.

I was gonna pick up a couple nes games, for $3, they were Tetris(I still don't have this one), and star voyager, but I decided against it, as I need money to put down on a game I have reserved.

I picked up a nice snes turbo controller, and they had 3 nes controlers, and 4 light zappers, along with two PS1 controller(non-dualshock), and one of the large PS! consoles.

Here's a neato one. I got Atari "Touch Me" handheld electronic game with box for 75 cents. It was at a Unique Thrift (a chain here in Chicago) and today is half off of everything.

Almost picked up a GBA over the weekend, but at $10 it seemed a little much for me given how much better the new backlit displays are. At the same yard sale I got a Norcent DVD player for $3 and the 2 disc Peter Jackson King Kong production diaries for $4. Other than that I got a whole bunch of other weirdness that you guys can read about at my blog over the next few days - retrothing.com

Dude, That Sony stick is a sweet find for thre $3!

I got a 19 inch CRT Gateway monitor the other day, went back and got the cable (and a stronger table) to support it.

It's hooked to my Fedora box, so that box will be getting more use now without having to look through a magnifying glass to see the 13 inch screen it had.

The whole lot cost me $12 or so. The CRt is pretty big, but at least it's got a quality feel to it. The thing I just couldn't pass up was the hard drawn Marvin the Martian it has.

Do people just list anything they buy at the thrift store here no matter what it is?

yeah.. i think anything particuarly bizzare qualifies for inclusion as well. typically somehow technology, gaming related, or adaptable to gaming is geranly on the up and up.. like.. the old school console stereo cabinet that I found a few years ago and is now the heart of my main home entertainment/theater console counts...

then again.. if its just out right bizarre.. as in.. what the hell is this crazy friggen thing? finds. it is worth mentioning..

its helpfull if you have to plug it in. otherwise.. its pure entertainment factor

NES $1 each

Adventures of Link

Empire Strikes Back

Donkey Kong 3 for $1 !!!!!

Dang I am jealous.

I keep seeing them on Ebay for more than that. I hope I get lucky one day and find that gem for a buck.

I used to play the arcade version before I headed for school in the morning. High School that is. LOL

I miss those days. It was one of the few games I was ever able to get a high score on.

Over the weekend I picked up a Commodore 128. It came with a 1571 drive, Monitor, Printer, Power Supply and all cable hooks ups.

Had a bunch of software. Sadly, half the disks apparently had corrupted files. :(

The one that really hurt was the Sargon II disk. It apparently has wiped clean. I tried accessing the directory in both 64 and 128 mode. No dice. I remember that use to be a really decent chess game.

But, then again, I am a lousy chess player.