IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

the tv type switch was broken off (and bouncing around inside by the sound of things). [...] The only thing that didn't work was the Atari Power Adaptor. Good thing I have a few spares!

Can you solder? I'll send you a replacement for that TV type switch, if you send me all the pieces that you have of it, plus the bad wallcube.

rorysl, it looks like you have two light-sixers there. The heavies have a curved base in front. Either way, good score!

Thanks for the clarification -- I'm pretty excited about it -- never even saw, let alone owned, a six-switch before, heavy or light!

the tv type switch was broken off (and bouncing around inside by the sound of things). [...] The only thing that didn't work was the Atari Power Adaptor. Good thing I have a few spares!

Can you solder? I'll send you a replacement for that TV type switch, if you send me all the pieces that you have of it, plus the bad wallcube.

I'm not much of a solder-er -- is it a complicated jobbie? In regards to the 'pieces' -- you want the pieces of the broken switch after/if I replace it? Drop me a PM and let's chat!

Verified still there on Wednesday October 4:

18 boxes, most in original shrinkwrap (split from overshrinkage but boxes still unopened), 10 count Maxell FD2-D double-sided, single or double density, 8-inch floppy disks.

One box was torn open at a corner, apparently by somebody who didn't know there was such a thing as an 8-inch floppy.

The marked price is $4.98 each box, plus tax (about $5.40 total), but they may go on discount if still there in a few weeks. This store uses a colored tag system, where if an item has been out for something like 5 or 6 weeks, it will go to 50% off. If it doesn't sell at that price, it becomes 75% off the following week. After that, it may be pulled and either trashed or maybe sent to another thrift store. Also, I may be able to get a lower price from the manager if I get most or all of them.

Anybody want me to pick any of these up for you, or know someone else who might want them? I'd need to be paid in advance for the disks and shipping (which will likely be substantial) plus something for my expenses. In the event the disks are gone or any overpayment, the excess amount will be refunded.

EDIT: Still there on Thursday Oct. 12, at 50% discount. Next week, they will be at 75% discount if nobody gets them before then.

What state are they in?

What state are they [8-inch floppy disks] in?

State, as in The United = California (home of La-La Land, a.k.a. Los Angeles county)

State, as in condition = Mostly in unopened, undamaged semi-sealed original retail boxes (original shrinkwrap is present but split at seams, now held in place by tape probably applied by thrift store personnel). At least one box is without shrinkwrap and can be opened for inspection. I'm not sure if the box I saw when I first noticed them, with a corner torn open, is still there. But there were definitely 18 boxes on Thursday morning.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Not a thrift find...

A co worker of mine gave me an xbox system with 2 controlelrs and the hookups. It wont read discs though, but im working on that. The thing is really dirty so im thinking it just neads the lazer to be cleaned inside.

Thats how I got a $20 PS2 a few years ago. Dirty lazer. :D

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 25" tabletop television at a thrift store for $9.99

It's a Hitachi.

very nice internal stereo speakers

Very good picture

Two sets composite video/stereo audio inputs...

One AV output

and one RGB input...which is the only reason I even pulled it off the shelf to turn it on.

It also was fairly clean for a 22 year old TV in a thrift shop.... and doesn't smell of cigarettes.

Though.... I don't know what kind of connector that RGB port uses.

post-210-1160338237_thumb.jpg post-210-1160338402_thumb.jpg

I found my CGA cable for that connector the other day, and I'll pin it out for you, but I'm going to be gone for the weekend, so it'll have to wait a few days.

Not a thrift find...

A co worker of mine gave me an xbox system with 2 controlelrs and the hookups. It wont read discs though, but im working on that. The thing is really dirty so im thinking it just neads the lazer to be cleaned inside.

Thats how I got a $20 PS2 a few years ago. Dirty lazer. :D

There is a walkthru out there on how to basically completely disassemble the XBox DVD player so you can clean the laser out real well. You need to clean more than just the visable optic lense, there is a whole path, with some mirrors, and if you clean the WHOLE path out, it'll most likely bring the system back to life.

I had a bad drive on my xBox. Tried cleaning it and it didn't work, found the walkthru and cleaned it better, and that did the trick.

Found an Odyssey 2 at a local fleamarket today.

The guy wanted $25 for it and I had already spent like $20 on 2600 carts.

I only had $10 on me so I gave him $5 to put it away while I went to an ATM.

Luckily I was able to get across town and back quickly enough to get it.

post-9326-1160967287_thumb.jpg

post-9326-1160967422_thumb.jpg

Edited by youngskywalker

To make a long story slightly shorter, I successfully took apart the monitor, got everything cleaned and deloused, cracked one of the circuit boards, had my roommate teach me how to use a soldering iron, fixed the circuit board, and then got everything put back together again (with several false starts as parts and other reminders kept re-appearing). As an added bonus, the monitor still worked afterward.

Funny, I didn't even bother stripping the monitor, when I bought that roach-infested IIgs stuff. I figured that once I switched it on, anything inside would die. After reading an arcade game manual, I'll always be leary about working on monitors... "This area has about 20,000 volts on it AND IT CAN KILL YOU!!!"

But here's a few of my recent thrift finds...

Jakks TV Games: Classic Arcade Pinball 99¢ (fully working!)

Memorex 8mm VCR (Model 800) $6.00 (Last time I checked, these were super expensive on eBay!)

Ambico 8mm Tape Rewinder w/power supply 50¢

Waddington's Electronic Wizard (full size), in retail box $2.00

Electronic Merlin (Parker Brothers, 1978) 49¢

And a whole bunch of Atari stuff I found at the flea market... a Darth Vader console, about 50 games which had seen better days (only a few of which I didn't already have), several joysticks, paddles, and driving controllers, a Video Touch Pad, and a hardsided system carrying case, with the Atari logo. I gave $50 for it all, but that was probably a little too much... the Vader didn't work when I got it home. Oh well. Maybe reflowing some solder joints might help.

ataricase.jpg

Anyone ever seen one of these cases before? I couldn't even find one on eBay.

Edited by DrLove0378

And a whole bunch of Atari stuff I found at the flea market... a Darth Vader console, about 50 games which had seen better days (only a few of which I didn't already have), several joysticks, paddles, and driving controllers, a Video Touch Pad, and a hardsided system carrying case, with the Atari logo. I gave $50 for it all, but that was probably a little too much... the Vader didn't work when I got it home. Oh well. Maybe reflowing some solder joints might help.

ataricase.jpg

Anyone ever seen one of these cases before? I couldn't even find one on eBay.

Sure have and ebay's where I found it paid between 35 and 40 shipped if I remember right and Im pretty sure that was just for the case no extras.I'd say you did okay there.

Found some old Super Famicom games, which will go great with my Japanese Super Famicom (which I've never powered up because I didn't have the games). Does anyone know if it uses the same power as an American SNES (the power connectors are different, but that would be easy to fix). I just don't want to fry the thing.

Oh, and it should work on a regular TV since Japan also has NTSC, right?