IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

$3.13 @ Goodwill for Interact Mobile Monitor For PS2. No power supply (found a suitable replacement) or mounting clips, but it works like a charm. The LCD still had the protective packing film on it.

Lucky dog. My local thrift has one too. They want $30 for it. I would snap it up if it was lower.

No kidding. My local Goodwill usually overprices the fool out of everything. I'm convinced this was a fluke. icon_lol.gif

Y, Goodwill is kidding themselves in my area too. I saw common Genesis games in original boxes like Troy Aikman Football and RBI Baseball for $8 a piece. They are seriously smoking something. Same store has a N64 console with power adapter and one controller, but it is completely missing a memory pack (probably someone stole it out of the console), and they have $25 marked on it. Wow, they will hold onto that one for a while. I saw a Genesis II console only with full motherboard stickered at $25. I told the manager they would never sell it at that price so he "reduced" it to $15. They have now had it at that price for over a month. Imagine that...

See, the funny things it's the same thing at the GW's in my area, but the stuff must be selling. I only get a chance to stop by one of the better GWs in my area about once a month. Every time, the "overpriced" stuff I passed over is gone by the next time I get there, replaced with new "overpriced" stuff. Somebody is buying it I guess. icon_confused.gif

GW in my area has 50% off sales twice a month. That is when most of the overpriced goods go out the door. Funny thing is even with those sales the overpriced Genesis console and partly-there N64 are still sitting there taking up space. May be what is happening at your GW as well...

GW in my area has 50% off sales twice a month. That is when most of the overpriced goods go out the door. Funny thing is even with those sales the overpriced Genesis console and partly-there N64 are still sitting there taking up space. May be what is happening at your GW as well...

Hmmm...I assumed Goodwill used the same program everywhere. Here they price stuff with five different color stickers, a new color goes on the new stuff each week and the colors rotate. On the start of the fifth week (sunday here) the color goes 50%. So I think the strategy is to overprice, if it sells great, if not it will probably go for fifty percent off in week five. After week five, most of it goes to the "outlet store" to be sold by the pound with all the crap that wasn't good enough to put out in the store in the first place.

Soooo....my favorite new thing to do at Goodwill is to go early Sunday morning and dig through the really junky aisles for all the stuff that some shady d-bag hid to come back and buy when it is half off. Lord knows I would never hide anything in there myself :-) Morgan

Goodwill tends to over charge, so I goto Value Villiage and Savers. The best deals I got were on Craigslist though, I got an Atari 800 w/48k RAM, Floppy Drive 20+ Game Carts, two binders filled with floppys, and assorted boxed floppys, 6 controllers, 2-3 paddle controllers, controller extension cbles and other assorted goodies for the price of absoluteley nothing. The guy just wanted someone who would appreciate it to have it.

Goodwill tends to over charge, so I goto Value Villiage and Savers. The best deals I got were on Craigslist though, I got an Atari 800 w/48k RAM, Floppy Drive 20+ Game Carts, two binders filled with floppys, and assorted boxed floppys, 6 controllers, 2-3 paddle controllers, controller extension cbles and other assorted goodies for the price of absoluteley nothing. The guy just wanted someone who would appreciate it to have it.

The Value Village near me is pretty similar on prices of stuff I buy, but I have to give them the nod for the shopping experience. The store is so well kept and organized compared to any Goodwill. The aisles of clothes are color coordinated within each size for god's sake! The sales guy I usually get is so good, I am bringing him the NES RF switch he needs as a gift next weekend. Morgan

My fiance's getting really good at the whole thrifting thing. :D Last week, she got bored while I was at work and hit up a Goodwill that's up the street from her house. This Goodwill is usually hit or miss, but she ended up getting me a minty NES Double Dragon and a pretty interesting Star Trek: The Next Generation PC game.

It's called Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity. From what I gather, it's hard to find. It's a point-and-click adventure that has all of the TNG cast as voice actors. It came out in 1994, and this copy is absolutely mint and complete in the box. She paid $0.45 for Double Dragon and $1.50 for the Star Trek game. It will fit in well with my Star Trek collection. :cool:

I was happy with what I found this last weekend.

PICS! :cool:

post-4103-127780320075_thumb.jpg post-4103-127780320575_thumb.jpg

post-4103-127780321057_thumb.jpg post-4103-12778031946_thumb.jpg

post-4103-127780321489_thumb.jpg

$2 - NEW/SEALED Trivial Pursuit "Pop Culture 2" DVD Game

$5 - Super Paper Mario Wii (Complete and even had the Club Nintendo code in it)

$5 - Wario Land Shake It Wii (Complete)

.25 each - 14 Carts (Seven SNES, six NES, one N64)

$5 - Nintendo 64 System with cords and two controllers

$5 - Sega Dreamcast System with cords and two controllers

$2 - Dr Dre CD!!

$2 each - BOOKS (Video Game Design, Photoshop? and Computer Cartoon Kit)

>$1 each - DVDs! Lots of DVDs!

Now, what will be sold and what will I keep? The Wii games are a keeper as well as the Super Mario 64 cart and Trivial Pursuit.

This is a cool thread, I've made tons of great thrift finds in the last year or so. I guess I'm apprehensive to say just how well I made out cus I sell a lot, to people here and ebay etc. :P On my last deal, I paid a guy $180 for tons of gaming stuff (Craigslist deal). He wanted $200 but it was an hour drive each way with traffic. It's mostly classic stuff from the 90's. I estimate I will make over $500 profit when all is said and done after I sell it. :) I bought the stuff 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and have already sold most of it on ebay. This type of thing has become my second job out of necessity, as I can't survive on my regular job! It's a fun second job for sure, I just wish I could keep all the gaming stuff and not have to sell it.. :(

This is a cool thread, I've made tons of great thrift finds in the last year or so. I guess I'm apprehensive to say just how well I made out cus I sell a lot, to people here and ebay etc. :P On my last deal, I paid a guy $180 for tons of gaming stuff (Craigslist deal). He wanted $200 but it was an hour drive each way with traffic. It's mostly classic stuff from the 90's. I estimate I will make over $500 profit when all is said and done after I sell it. :) I bought the stuff 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and have already sold most of it on ebay. This type of thing has become my second job out of necessity, as I can't survive on my regular job! It's a fun second job for sure, I just wish I could keep all the gaming stuff and not have to sell it.. :(

Watch what you buy and try sell off. The economy is still in bad shape and it might be harder to unload stuff than you would think.

I went to the Wisconsin Dells, and due to a complete lack of Pawn Shops, I went to Antique Malls instead. All of the game stuff I found was ridiculously overpriced (Super Mario/Duck Hunt for $10? WTF). That was, until, I found this happy little C64 lot. I got a CIB C64, 6 CIB games (Tapper, Galaxian, Ms. Pacman, Kickman, Pinball Spectacular, and Speed/Bingo Math), and two boxed controllers. All for $25.

post-23072-127803358878_thumb.jpg

post-23072-127803362538_thumb.jpg

Next up, I got 3 records. I got AC/DC Back in Black, Eagles greatest hits, and Van Halen II. Each record cost $3. The records themselves are in pristine condition, and they play great.

post-23072-127803365522_thumb.jpg

Finally, I picked up a Genesis Game Genie ($2) and a Foreigner Double Vision 8 track tape ($1).

post-23072-127803367432_thumb.jpg

Edited by brandondwright

Watch what you buy and try sell off. The economy is still in bad shape and it might be harder to unload stuff than you would think.

Oh I know that. ;) but on this last deal im making like $50 an hour (atleast) so I have a good grasp on what I'm doing! :D In the last several days I have had to package and ship close to 50 packages! (sold tons on ebay, and did well,) All myself, what a chore (the packages)... but I cant complain because i am making good money and my customers are happy! :D i am lucky to live in a high population area where I can find these super deals on big lots. i have found many on craigslist in the last year. done very well for myself! :) talking $1000+ in profits and ive not ripped anyone off. And im dealing with video games which i love. its a win win situation, only if i could keep the stuff, that would be a dream... i wish i had rich parents and could do this 24/7 I would open my own store and everything, actually, no i wouldnt... that would cost too much money, id just keep everything and become a super hoarder (but organized) :D I can only dream.. :P

The sales weren't that good this morning, perhaps the holiday has something to do with it? I followed many signs that led me nowhere and most of the sales that I did find mainly had big piles of clothes. I did manage to find a couple things so I was happy to come out with something.

$4.00 - Two Sega Dreamcast Controllers, one has the memory thing (1 Sports Edition, 1 Third-Party)

4.50 - Nine Super Nintendo Cartridges (50 cents each!)

.50 - Super Nintendo Controller

post-4103-127809691568_thumb.jpg

$9.00 for everything shown! :thumbsup:

The sales weren't that good this morning, perhaps the holiday has something to do with it? I followed many signs that led me nowhere and most of the sales that I did find mainly had big piles of clothes. I did manage to find a couple things so I was happy to come out with something.

$4.00 - Two Sega Dreamcast Controllers, one has the memory thing (1 Sports Edition, 1 Third-Party)

4.50 - Nine Super Nintendo Cartridges (50 cents each!)

.50 - Super Nintendo Controller

post-4103-127809691568_thumb.jpg

$9.00 for everything shown! :thumbsup:

Oooohh! Love the green controller! I'm a sucker for bits of translucent green plastic. Morgan

ok i forgot i had saved the text of my craigslist score from a couple weeks ago. :) Heres what i got for $180 + $10 gas + 2+ hours traffic driving.

lots of videogames! - $200 (healdsburg / windsor)

Date: 2010-06-16, 11:30PM PDT

Reply to: sale-mvz2a-1796254725@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

hey i got for sale all these in as is condition. im lookin to get rid of them at once so no single games or systems unless you got a really good price 200 takes em all, thanks for lookin

systems:

:one nes (not sure if it works and i dont have cables)

:one virtual boy(probly used five times idont know if it turns on it might the connectors cleaned, it uses batteries)

:sega genesis 1,2 and 32x these work, but the power connectors are little janky one control works not sure about the other one

:one sega saturn one control works good i have the box

:sega master system doubt it works but might be fixable (just the system)

:sutper nintendo works good two controls

:psx one red control,i think it might be modded not sure where the cables are

: two gamegears one works

:nintendo sp and madcatz charger

:nintendo ds top left trigger isnt very sensitve

:xbox one control and dvd remote

:dreamcast two controls one might not work

alright heres for games

virtual boy: mario tennis, jack bros.

nes:magician, stealth and wheres waldo( i have some ninja turtle ones at my brothers and mario/duck hunt, a gold zelda, if you want let me know

super nes: clay fighter tournement edition,zelda a link to the past, nhl 94, donkey kong country 2, wrestle mania,robocop vs terminator, super godzilla,super mario world,tmnt turtles in time

gamegear:spider man,terminator2,castle of illusion,sonic the hedge hog 2,sonic triple trouble, g loc air battle, batman returns.

ive never used these(coleco vision pepper 2,atari hunt and score,27 tele-games)

gameboy advance: pacman collection, mario advance and advance wars

dreamcast:without case(sonic adventure,sega bass fishing,sega collection(genesis 1-n?),virtual striker 2,cannon spiker, rainbow 6 rogue spear,army men sarges hereos, nba 2k2,resident evil 3 nemesis,mars matrix,resident evil code veronica, giga wing2, gun bird 2,expendable,soul reaver, (with case-) unreal tournement,nightmare creatures 2,sword of the berserk guts rage, toy story 2,fighting force 2,crazy taxi,soldier of fortune

psx:jet moto,test drive 4,moto racer 2, courier crisis,mortal kombat trilogy,crash bandicoot, road rash 3d, tomarow never dies 007,grand tour racing 98,need for speed v rally,need for speed high stakes(might not work, looks kinda scratched)and not in case-resident evil 3 nemesis, resident evil,grand theft auto(might not work),soulblade, resident evil directors cut, syphon filter, and twisted metal.

sega saturn:virtual fighter kids,bug! and without case manx tt super bike,virtual fighter 2, daytona usa and virtual cop

genesis:with case (tommy lasorda baseball,cobra desert attack helicopter and mortal kombat 2 32x) then without case street fighter 2 special champion edition,streets of rage 3,sonic 2,tengen,madden 96,starwars 32x, (menacer with gun and receiver),jurassic park, sonic 1

xbox: scarface, starwars knights of the old republic,star wars the clone wars, halo 2,halo, fable,battle field 2 modern combat,triple play 2002,freedom fighters, (unreal 2 the awaking might not work) and fight night 2004.

also some electronic gaming monthlys from a couple years ago in not to great condition and an expert gamer from 98'

-sorry but i couldnt find all the cables so some of the systems have to share them

Not too bad today for a holiday weekend.

Sega Saturn Battle Monsters - $2

PS1 Crash Team Racing - $1

Sega Master System grab bag (no system, but one Phaser Gun, one controller and 7 CIB non-sports games) - $15

Game Boy Advance Platinum (original model) like new complete in box - $4

Game Boy Advance Graphite SP model 2 (brighter screen) used but nice - $4

Gameboy original Game Shark, like new - $2

Stopped at one garage sale that advertised games, but at 10am they were just setting up and everything was still dumped into boxes and didn't know what they had or exactly where it was. icon_mad.gif I had a lot of other sales to hit, so I just got the one PS1 game and left.

Also picked up a very nice condition 2nd gen 6gig iPod Mini for my wife to use. Seems to be fine, jury is still out on the battery life though. Nice find for only $5 though!

Wife picked up a couple of Sims2 Stuff packs she didn't have for $5 each, they still sell for $20 in stores.

I might convert the SMS gun to work on my 7800. The GBA was new to me, I have an SP, but not an original. Every time I've found one it was beat up and missing the battery cover.

I picked up a SNES plastic mouse mat for a dollar, that was marked 50 cents. No one was vending the sale. When they showed up after 10 minutes knocking on the door, the mother sent her kid to get her wallet so she could give me 50 cents change for my 50 cent purchase from an adjacent trailer. I put up with waiting for the seller to show back up because I figured I could ask about other games, since this was video game evidence, and the only bit at that (saw it from the street, almost didn't get out) After another 10 minutes, the boy came back and said "Daddy said NO." After 20 minutes total (I KID YOU NOT) trying to tell this woman to just take my buck, she told to just wait for the change over and over. Finally, I said my time wasn't worth this, gave her the buck got in the car and left. Ug.

AX

Managed to find 2 original xboxes and 2 SNES systems (consoles only) for $10 each. Haven't had a chance to test them.

Also found a Turbo Grafx 16 system with controller for $15. Tested it right when I got home and the thing keeps getting the white screen. I tried everything from cleaning the contacts to solder a game straight to the pins and still no luck. :( I should have walked away after he said it was complete and then tried to charge me $10 extra for a third party power supply for it...

Managed to find 2 original xboxes and 2 SNES systems (consoles only) for $10 each. Haven't had a chance to test them.

Also found a Turbo Grafx 16 system with controller for $15. Tested it right when I got home and the thing keeps getting the white screen. I tried everything from cleaning the contacts to solder a game straight to the pins and still no luck. :( I should have walked away after he said it was complete and then tried to charge me $10 extra for a third party power supply for it...

I have a similar TG16. I don't know if they pop like jaguar, but I do know neg is supposed to be in the center. :( I paid $15 too!

AX