IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Best thrift-store find I've had in a long time!

SNES for $10!!!

post-16281-127887105713_thumb.jpg

Super-clean, in great shape...and most importantly...**NOT YELLOWED AT ALL!!!!***

One original (says "Super Nintendo") controller with long cord

RF hookup

Composite cable

Power adapter

Only gripe? 2 controllers would have been nice.

I have been looking for an un-yellowed one of these for 3 or 4 years! Ever since I sold my SNES2 because it was el-cheapo and had no S-video.

Wow that's a beautiful system and at an amazing price.

I'm happy! I have seen so many "expensive" (relative term) SNES that were yellowed that I thought they all were. I wanted this as a backup. SNES #1 was totally un-yellowed, except for the bottom half of the case. You'll see odd patterns of yellowing where the cart door and the bottom will yellow, or just the top and nothing else. UGLY! But some dude was parting out SNES parts on Ebay. I bought a un-yellowed bottom half from him and remedied it.

But you have to be aware there are 2 different versions (internally) of the SNES when swapping case bottoms. I don't remember how to tell at the moment.... The first SNES has a larger sound hardware section (with big SONY chip I think) and later ones it was greatly reduced, and the case bottoms are not the same inside, despite identical outward appearance. Thanks Nintendo, for making it difficult!! :) :)

As far as your Dreamcast.....what kind of tape is it? If it is the clear kind, there's a chance it can be removed with a hair dryer and lots of slow care. I've removed lots of tape like that. Gotta get it good and hot and move along slowly, heating. Sometimes need to take some Coleman fuel and a paper towel and follow up on the cardboard. Sometimes you can soak the cardboard with Coleman fuel with no ill effect and it dries clean. Sometimes it dilutes the print ink.

Aaah, for $40 they weren't giving it away though, unless you NEEDED a Dreamcast and it's nice, in which case it's pretty good.

Found a handful of PS1 games yesterday, including World's Scariest Police Chases, a tie-in with the TV show that even has the show's host providing running commentary during the game. I figure that's worth $2 just for the novelty.

HA HA! I have that game somewhere! I never tried it! It's one of the last PS1 games released, I think.

But you have to be aware there are 2 different versions (internally) of the SNES when swapping case bottoms. I don't remember how to tell at the moment....

4- vs. 2- rubber feet on the bottom.

I hate the yellowing. So gross.

You do realize that the yellow SNESs have nothing to do with how dirty they are, right? It's just the crappy plastic that they used is breaking down. I'll bet that there are unopened units in boxes that are yellow today.icon_frown.gif

But you have to be aware there are 2 different versions (internally) of the SNES when swapping case bottoms. I don't remember how to tell at the moment....

4- vs. 2- rubber feet on the bottom.

I hate the yellowing. So gross.

You do realize that the yellow SNESs have nothing to do with how dirty they are, right? It's just the crappy plastic that they used is breaking down. I'll bet that there are unopened units in boxes that are yellow today.icon_frown.gif

This is very common for a lot of plastic from the late 80's to early 90's.

A lot of Commodore 64\128, Amiga, and other computers suffer from the same yellowing.

Aside from aesthetics, there is nothing "dirty" about them. I think some people equate this with yellowing from being used by heavy smokers.

A lot of Commodore 64\128, Amiga, and other computers suffer from the same yellowing.

Aside from aesthetics, there is nothing "dirty" about them. I think some people equate this with yellowing from being used by heavy smokers.

No, I know that. It just looks like piss. It's probably my #1 unfortunate side effect to collecting. For me, there is nothing desirable about a nicely yellowed SNES, NES, Atari 800, 1080, Apple //c... (A close #2 is defective product, but at least you can keep it for parts)

No, I know that. It just looks like piss. It's probably my #1 unfortunate side effect to collecting. For me, there is nothing desirable about a nicely yellowed SNES, NES, Atari 800, 1080, Apple //c... (A close #2 is defective product, but at least you can keep it for parts)

Unfortunately, it's true in a lot of retro-collecting, toys in particular. Things like 70's Tomy plastic robots and Star Wars toys are also suffering the same fate.

icon_frown.gif

Good point. I'm the same way to a degree. My old trusty SNES was badly yellowed but ran 100% and I played the hell out of it. It got replaced by one that looks as if it just came out of the box.

Edited by Shephda

Good point. I'm the same way to a degree. My old trusty SNES was badly yellowed but ran 100% and I played the hell out of it. It got replaced by one that looks as if it just came out of the box.

The Atari XE seems to suffer from this fate as well but luckily it's such an off color of white anyway, you can hardly see it.

Got 3 SMS games for $2 each - After Burner, Great Golf, and Zillion. They all have cases and only Zillion has instructions but it doesn't have the case insert. Its just a plain white piece of paper :?

Also got some PS1 games - Bust a Move 2 Arcade Edition for $1 - game only, no case or instructions. Also got a Greatest Hits Metal Gear Solid with case and discs only, no instructions for $2.99. Black label Xenogears with case and discs, no instructions :( for $2.99 and Galeriens CIB for $3.99

I guess they priced the ones with no instructions for a buck cheaper. Oh well, still great prices for those games :D

post-4103-127924474019_thumb.jpg

I stopped in at the local record shop and picked these up. I have been looking for Conker's for quite a while so I'm excited to get on that this weekend. The CD is by Rudimentary Peni and is out of print so would like to see about $30 on this one. The Final Fantasy was a bit overpriced for my taste but I had trade to spend so it's all good.

$6.99 Rudimentary Peni "EPs of RP" CD

$11.99 N64 Conker's Bad Fur Day

$19.99 PS1 Final Fantasy VII (Complete and Nice)

A very common collection of games, but stuff I didn't have so I was happy.

Genesis

Ren and Stimpy - Stimpy's Invention

Star Trek The Next Generation

Jurassic Park

PGA Tour Golf 2 (A sports title, but I kinda like the different golf games. For $2, why not.)

N64

Armorines - Project S.W.A.R.M

Pretty slow last couple of weekends

Salvation army - 6 Sega 32x games for $8

Goodwill - Virtua Racing Sega Genesis (not 32x) $1.50, man this thing is huge!

Flea Market - 4 N64 games $5 each (nothing special, but I didn't have them)

Secret Quest for 2600 loose - $2

Game Store - Decapattack for Sega Genesis

Star Raiders 5200 with overlay

Vintage Tomy handheld electronic pinball game

all for $10.00

Yard Sale - Dreamcast controller - like new in box $.50

Vintage book "Blips! The First Book of Video Game Funnies" from 1983 for a quarter. All video game themed comic paperback. Had a copy when I was a kid, pretty corny stuff. Not quite the level of Mad, maybe closer to Cracked! Mostly bad puns and jokes about Pac-man and kids playing too much. Fun fact, it's written by "Jovial Bob Stine" better known as R.L. Stine, the author of those Goosebump books! Who knew?

blips.jpg

So I had a great Saturday, and today was good also...

Saturday Cost $60.00

SNES (Model #2) with these games

Mario Kart

Street Fighter II

Tetris/Dr. Mario

Imperium

The Rocketeer

Super Bases Loaded

Out of This World

Thunder Spirit

Illusion of Gaia

FF: Mystic Quest

Kirby's Dreamland 3

Super Contra III: Alien Wars

SWAT Kats

Pac-Man 2

Super Mario World

Killer Instinct

DK Country

Timon & Pumba;s Jungle Game

Lemmings 2 The Tribes

CIB: Super Caeser Palace, Animaniacs, Monopoly, Wheel of Fortune

Gameboy Color

Gameboys Games :Bust-a-Move 2, Tetris 2, & Ninja Gaiden Shadow w/manual, Beavis & Butthead SEALED

Game Gear With Carry Case + Rechargable Battery Pack

Bugs Bunny Doublele Trouble, Super Columns, Sonic 2, Power Rangers the Movie, NBA Action

N64 (Jungle Green) + Controller w/ DK Country 64, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, & Starfox 64, Conkers Bad Fur Day (my second copy)

N64 Basic System w/clear Purple controller

Sega Genesis CD 32X Combo w/Maunals

Genesis Games CIB : Phantasy Star II Complete with Guide Book, Aladdin, Streets Rage 1 & 2

Sunday added these for $15.00:

Atari 2600 Sunnyvale Label

SNES Warios Woods

Genesis CIB: Toe Jam & Earl, Boogerman, Earthworm Jim 2, Ren & Stimpy

Edited by jumbojohnny

Found something very interesting at Goodwill today. At first I saw it on a shelf and thought it was some off brand anti-glare screen for a computer screen. Upon closer inspection, it's a Keytec "Magic Screen" touch screen add on for a 17" monitor. It's brand new, never even been out of the box. Apparently it sells for over $200 (thank you iPhone) so it's a steal for 10 bucks! The guy at the register did a serious double take when he looked it over. I think maybe he was the one to put the price on it, and wasn't paying attention when he did. icon_ponder.gif

It's usb connected and can replace your mouse on a computer.

What will I use it for? Well, it just happens that my Mame machine uses a 17" monitor, so I think I can do some interesting stuff with that. icon_shades.gif I wonder what Missile Command would be like?

Here's the specs for anyone interested: KTMT-1700 Add-On Touch Screen for 16-17" LCD & CRT

image6171.jpg

Vintage book "Blips! The First Book of Video Game Funnies" from 1983 for a quarter. All video game themed comic paperback. Had a copy when I was a kid, pretty corny stuff. Not quite the level of Mad, maybe closer to Cracked! Mostly bad puns and jokes about Pac-man and kids playing too much. Fun fact, it's written by "Jovial Bob Stine" better known as R.L. Stine, the author of those Goosebump books! Who knew?

blips.jpg

I LOVED this book! Nice find. :)

Found something very interesting at Goodwill today. At first I saw it on a shelf and thought it was some off brand anti-glare screen for a computer screen. Upon closer inspection, it's a Keytec "Magic Screen" touch screen add on for a 17" monitor. It's brand new, never even been out of the box. Apparently it sells for over $200 (thank you iPhone) so it's a steal for 10 bucks! The guy at the register did a serious double take when he looked it over. I think maybe he was the one to put the price on it, and wasn't paying attention when he did. icon_ponder.gif

It's usb connected and can replace your mouse on a computer.

What will I use it for? Well, it just happens that my Mame machine uses a 17" monitor, so I think I can do some interesting stuff with that. icon_shades.gif I wonder what Missile Command would be like?

Here's the specs for anyone interested: KTMT-1700 Add-On Touch Screen for 16-17" LCD & CRT

image6171.jpg

Awww man I hate you! ;) That looks sweet.