IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Nice finds, SpendTooMuchOnAtari, and good job raising your kid right. ;)

This weekend marked two in a row of excellent video game finds! Here's the latest haul.

post-6115-128011311846_thumb.jpg

Most if not all of the Sega Master System stuff that I didn't get the previous weekend was still there on Saturday, so I bought almost all of it. As an added bonus, what had been $3 a game was now two for a dollar! It also turned out there was less overlap with my existing collection than I originally thought, so over the past two weeks I have filled in a lot of holes in my Master System collection. Good shtuff.

A different thrift yielded the rest of this set, including an SNES Mega Man X. Ridge Racer for the PS1 is nothing special, except now I can replace my beat up long-box edition with something that will actually fit in with (most of) the rest of my PS1 discs.

Edited by FujiSkunk

This weekend I picked up a few things.

Final Fantasy 7 Black Label

Gameboy Advanced w/Bomberman & Ironman

Gameboy Color w/16 Games (Zelda Oracle of Seasons & Link's Awakening)

NES System w/Wires, Wireless Controllers, and Dungeon & Magic

Got it all at a tag sale in a richy neighborhood for a whopping $5.00

Thank you rich folks who are happy to sell me your "kids old crap". It has become my treasures

grabbed some stuff from flea markets.

A complete Sega Genesis Liberty or Death for $4 was probably the best find. Somebody put a large letter 'P' on the case and manual though.

80+ page manual for that game...

Also got a Genesis 3 with a kind of neat first-party, 6-button turbo/slow controller.

Edited by Reaperman

Not too much these days, but a couple weeks ago I got an import Wonder Project J for Super Famicom for 8 bucks from a dealer who had a bunch of import games (EXCEPT MEGADRIVE GRRRR) at an anime convention.

And a month or two ago I found the disk for the Game Cube GBA module for 3 bucks at a Goodwill. I had a module that I got at a thrift a couple of years ago without the disk.

These are starting to get a lot cheaper. I think the DS is finally winning the war. It's a shame too, the PSP, especially the older ones, really are nice systems. I think the price and not using carts just hurt them in the end. the UMD disks are just too cumbersome and fragile to carry with you in any quantity. I personally like it a lot better though.

Not trying to start something here, but was it ever really close between the DS and the PSP? Don't get me wrong, the PSP is one awesome peice of kit, but if it was a war........icon_ponder.gif

Initially I think it was close, but over time, the clear winner began to emerge. From there, it was just Sony trying to maintain its base and to hopefully make a profit (or more profit) from it. In a way, it is similar to the Blu-ray/HD-DVD war. We all knew Blu-Ray was the winner, but HD-DVD hung around and was supported for quite a while to support the people who had it and to not see a total loss in the tech.

With that said, playing both, I think the PSP is the superior product. Unfortunately, as with most things, technical superiority is not a requirement for success. Good marketing, ease of use, ease of programming, durability, and licensing are. Sony dropped the ball on the marketing and the ease of programming. Also, the DS game library is more diverse, catering to more people than the PSP did. In the end, I think that is what made it win.

Cliff

Hit up some usually dry thrift shops today only to discover about 2000 carts for NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and none of them were sports titles. They were all fairly priced so I didn't pick any up since there was no deal to be made. I had most of them anyway. Out of the lot I only got a Super Gameboy for $5 and an Ascii Super Advantage for $10. There was also a PS1 dual shock variant I have never seen before . It's a black with metal flake like the black no analog PS1 controller I found last year except it has dualshock. It's pretty cool as I don't remember there being PS1 controller color variants.

Edited by STICH666

While not a thrift store find, I thought it was interesting.

Computer Geeks has a sale going on, and I picked up a 2GB MP3/MP4/gaming device.

post-7758-12803229719_thumb.jpg

It also plays NES, GameBoy and GameBoy Color ROM files. While I have never owned an actual NES, it's not too bad. It just takes a little while to get used to the separate buttons for movement.

Computer Geeks has a sale going on, and I picked up a 2GB MP3/MP4/gaming device.

It also plays NES, GameBoy and GameBoy Color ROM files. While I have never owned an actual NES, it's not too bad. It just takes a little while to get used to the separate buttons for movement.

I have never seen one of those, but it looks like it could be a fun game. I sit on my ass a lot for work, so I may need to buy one of these and try it out.

I have never seen one of those, but it looks like it could be a fun game. I sit on my ass a lot for work, so I may need to buy one of these and try it out.

I haven't seen them locally before, but Geeks has several different models to choose from. Some will also play SNES games.

HMmmm...they also have another one a few dollars cheaper ($24.99 instead of $27.99) that doesn't have the flip screen, but does appear to have a D-pad. Link below. Morgan

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=DVG-06A-2GB-WHT&cpc=RESX

rgbmoddedpcengineduor.th.jpg

Picked up this PC Engine Duo-R bundle today for $200 Canadian. Includes a complete in box RGB-modded PC Engine Duo-R with one controller, power supply, A/V cables, all the paperwork and plastic bags, and the 3 games you see there: R-Type Part 1, Dragon Spirit and Emerald Dragon(I won't play that, as I HATE RPGs).

This has now officially turned my incredibly unreliable TurboGrafx CD into a paperweight mixed with a TurboBooster Plus. And that's a good thing 'cause I was really getting fed up of the TurboGrafx CD's laser mechanism constantly jamming due to a gear(the problem gear that shatters) that gets stuck.

Yard sale were rained out last weekend, but I did manage to hit a flea market with a couple of nice scores.

CV Games:

Buck Rodgers

Burgertime

Subroc

Slither

War Room (with overlay!)

plus

2600 Titlematch Wrestling

All for $25

Also got

PS2 component cables - $5

Xbox - Advanced HD AV Pack with cables - $10

(I was actively looking for both of those since I finally got a decent tube TV that has component inputs.)

And a Craigslist deal, my first Sega Master System! This was the only Sega system I didn't own so now my collection is complete (not counting Pico.)

Got the SMS (original version) 3 pads, 1 joystick, and 19 boxed games (all the damn manuals are missing though! icon_mad.gif ) Lots of sports games though, whatever. Got it all for $45, originally they wanted $75.

rgbmoddedpcengineduor.th.jpg

Picked up this PC Engine Duo-R bundle today for $200 Canadian. Includes a complete in box RGB-modded PC Engine Duo-R with one controller, power supply, A/V cables, all the paperwork and plastic bags, and the 3 games you see there: R-Type Part 1, Dragon Spirit and Emerald Dragon(I won't play that, as I HATE RPGs).

This has now officially turned my incredibly unreliable TurboGrafx CD into a paperweight mixed with a TurboBooster Plus. And that's a good thing 'cause I was really getting fed up of the TurboGrafx CD's laser mechanism constantly jamming due to a gear(the problem gear that shatters) that gets stuck.

Was this an online, or wild/local deal?

Very nice!

AX

That's a smexy looking little device! Not a fan of the d-pad, though.

That's a smexy looking little device! Not a fan of the d-pad, though.

The individual buttons aren't too bad. Then again I have big hands. :)

So far I've tried it with Toki, Heavy Barrel, Galaga, Galaxian (Japanese only), Donkey Kong Classics and Tetris - all NES games. They all play OK, but hitting the diagonals in Heavy Barrel is a little difficult sometimes.

Well didn't expect this since SNES stuff is fairly rare in my area. Boxed SNES Super Set complete, Boxed Turtles in Time, Mortal Kombat, and Castlevania IV. Then a second SNES with all cables/hookups and 2 controllers.

Edited by STICH666

I got an Xbox with hookups and 2 duke controllers for $15. I haggled down from $20, the lady accepted my offer so quickly it made me wish that I had offered $10 :(

Edited by brandondwright

I got an Xbox with hookups and 2 duke controllers for $15. I haggled down from $20, the lady accepted my offer so quickly it made me wish that I had offered $10 icon_sad.gif

In my email notification, it shows your un-edited post, and I HAD to ask what the hell a "hamburger" controller was! icon_mrgreen.gif

Nice price on that! I think the cheapest I've gotten one was $20

I got an Xbox with hookups and 2 duke controllers for $15. I haggled down from $20, the lady accepted my offer so quickly it made me wish that I had offered $10 icon_sad.gif

In my email notification, it shows your un-edited post, and I HAD to ask what the hell a "hamburger" controller was! icon_mrgreen.gif

The "hamburger" controller is the nickname my friends and I gave the original Xbox controller (they were the size of these massive hamburgers that a local restaurant made). I posted "hamburger" out of habit :lol:

The "hamburger" controller is the nickname my friends and I gave the original Xbox controller (they were the size of these massive hamburgers that a local restaurant made). I posted "hamburger" out of habit icon_lol.gif

That sounds like my kind of hamburger! icon_lust.gif

The streak continues! I've now had three awesome weekends in a row!

Apparently I was the only one interested in the Sega Master System games, because the ones I'd skipped over the past two weeks were still there. Since they were still selling them dirt cheap, I went ahead and picked up the rest:

post-6115-128064295956_thumb.jpg

I'm glad I did, because after the fact I discovered I was missing three of the "Great" sports titles!

I decided to grab the two remaining Genesis boxed games they had also. They're sports games, but they're two of the slightly more collectible Genesis sports games.

While paying for these, the lady behind the counter said, "We've also got this bag full of video game stuff that we're not sure what to do with." One look and I knew I had to grab it as well:

post-6115-128064320625_thumb.jpg

There's various A/V cables for various game systems, two SMS controllers, one six-button Genesis controller, a Genesis power adapter, an original Game Boy battery pack, and... the funniest Famiclone I have ever come across.

There's the Wii, and then there's the Chinese knock-off called the Vii, and then there's this knock-off of a knock-off calling itself a Vii, when really it's just a Famiclone! It tries really hard to look like a "genuine" Vii, which in turn tries really hard to look like a Wii, so we have wireless controllers that sort of look like controllers that sort of look like Wiimotes, and even detachable "nunchucks," which really do nothing but offer a third button. The knock-off-of-knock-off Wiimotes, in their quest for two-degrees-of-separation authenticity, space the two buttons so far apart that without even playing I can tell they are very impractical for 2-button NES games. Speaking of the games, the console has an 111-in-1 game program built in, featuring such gems as Pyper Olympic and Tenage Nutant. A 60-pin cartridge port for Japanese Famicom cartridges allows other games to be played. Truly this is a remarkable piece of work, and well worth the three bucks I paid!

And hey, I also picked up this little collectible:

post-6115-128064400138_thumb.jpg

Yep, a Sega-branded first-party RF transformer, for those Genesis players who still had TVs with screw connectors and weren't comfortable unless everything said "SEGA!"

I doubt my streak will continue into a fourth week, especially now that I've bought all the Sega stuff this particular thrift had to offer, but it's been a fun run!

Edited by FujiSkunk