IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

If anyone wants a multisystem crt television for their games and is in Central FL, the Goodwill in St. Cloud has a Samsung unit for $50. Both ntsc formats, pal, and secam with two scart sockets. Posting pics. Also found a Sony Multiscan X9200 in need of minor repair for $25.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

CIMG2869.jpg

SNES Illusion of Gaia, Super Mario World & TMNT IV Turtles in Time for $3.99 each at Goodwill.

CDs, DVDs and disc-based games are slowly disappearing from most of my local Goodwills here in Los Angeles. One employee said that they were going to their "bookstores" (the only one I've seen is near my work; they only sell books, records, CDs and DVDs and games). The clerk today said they were going to the auction site. I'm hoping for more of the bookstores, but I'll believe 'em when I see 'em. Is this happening for anybody else?

Then we look at the paltry electronics they have. 25 bucks for a 1980's toaster that you can get a brand new model of at Wally for 10 bucks. Ugh.

You should see the projection TV the local Goodwill wants $150 for.

And when I say projection, I mean front projection.

And speaking of Goodwill, I see they have yet another online store, onlinegoodwill.com. There have been a couple of ads for it on YouTube. So yeah, expect to see even less decent stuff at the brick-and-mortal stores.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Not exactly a thrift store find but an ebay find. I got a package full with stuff:

- 1040STF souped up to 2.5 Mb (with bad floppy drive as it seems)

- 1040 STE with a HD floppy build in

- SM 124

- SM 146

- Mega ST 1 including the somewhat worn out keyboard

- Mega ST 4 with good keyboard

- SH 205 hard disk with cable, drivers & stuff

- 5 mice (2 of them broken :( )

for 50 bucks! *yay*

And speaking of Goodwill, I see they have yet another online store, onlinegoodwill.com. There have been a couple of ads for it on YouTube. So yeah, expect to see even less decent stuff at the brick-and-mortal stores.

Visited the local Goodwill the other day. It's been a while since they have had anything worth buying. They used to have consoles and games behind the glass, now even those get tossed on the shelves with the rest of the junk. The same with the games. And it's all the typical crap: PS2s and PS1s.

Looks like that onlinegoodwill.com site just jumps you over to the shopgoodwill.com site which, in my opinion, is fast becoming as ridiculous as eBay.

-B

Visited the local Goodwill the other day. It's been a while since they have had anything worth buying. They used to have consoles and games behind the glass, now even those get tossed on the shelves with the rest of the junk. The same with the games. And it's all the typical crap: PS2s and PS1s.

Looks like that onlinegoodwill.com site just jumps you over to the shopgoodwill.com site which, in my opinion, is fast becoming as ridiculous as eBay.

-B

I suspect there will be less and less that shows up on the shelves at the goodwill stores. I haven't seen much in about a year at our goodwill other than mothball smelly clothes, old, over priced George Foreman grills, and broken dishes. Honestly, I think hitting thrift stores is just a waste of time and gas these days, at least around here. Seems like one would be better off finding 2-3 mom and pop online stores that you have come to trust and have sensible prices rather than wasting time.

system120.jpg

Really proud of my $4 Goodwill Radio Shack Realistic System 120 Stereo.

This did not have a working turntable when I grabbed it yesterday (sold as-is for radio only).

Had to take the motor out and open it up, clean it on the inside (think 2600 paddle refurb).

Then the motor voltage regulator was wonky or not working, so I took a variable resistor (pot) from a PS1 and rigged that to control speed.

Now it plays records really well. I'd still like to find an MMI-6T2R motor, and a AN6652 motor regulator.

They were each available in Europe. eBay for the regulator, and Poland Allegro or some such eBay like site for the motor. Difficult to know how to order from the Polish site since it wasn't in English and I'm not registered (not sure if they take Americans). Anyway for the moment, I have a $4 record player that works!

:D

AX

Honestly, I think hitting thrift stores is just a waste of time and gas these days, at least around here.

If you're thrifting just for the sake of finding old video games, save your money and your gas. That era has passed.

Mostly I buy music CDs now. Even when Goodwill gouges upwards of $3 or $4 for a CD, that's still better than buying them new or even at places like Half-Priced Books. The local charity thrifts are even better, sometimes letting CDs go for fifty cents a pop. It's enough to justify the weekly run, where on increasingly rare occasions I can still find an old video game worth bragging about.

Honestly, I think hitting thrift stores is just a waste of time and gas these days, at least around here.

If you're thrifting just for the sake of finding old video games, save your money and your gas. That era has passed.

Yep, I haven't found much in traditional thrift stores lately. Most of my local finds are pawn shops or Value Village and both are usually overpriced.

I tend to try to look for other things. I still find good deals on video game hardware and software, but the rate has tailed off significantly over the past couple of years, at least for older systems. I blame Gamestop in part, it's quite likely that the perception is that anything Gamestop isn't selling just isn't worth even donating anymore. That, and the much older stuff, we've likely gotten to the point that the only donations are occurring when someone who collected the stuff dies, and the relatives always thought they had a wasteful hobby. And even then, it's just as likely to end up in the landfill instead.

Yep, I haven't found much in traditional thrift stores lately. Most of my local finds are pawn shops or Value Village and both are usually overpriced.

Same goes for me. It seems that everything has been dead around here for the past year.

Picked up two great GBA games at Bullmoose Music in Portland yesterday. Advance Wars 2 and Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island. $6 apiece. Now I have all 4 Super Mario Advance games for the GBA. I was going to put this and my backlit GBA on eBay along with other great games but now not sure. Couldn't believe how great Yoshi's Island is! And as an added bonus: the woman there who sold them to me was BEYOND HOT! Had a look like Zoey desomething from TV but with some sweet looking ink. ;-). My apologies to the women who read this.....

Picked up two great GBA games at Bullmoose Music in Portland yesterday. Advance Wars 2 and Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island. $6 apiece. Now I have all 4 Super Mario Advance games for the GBA. I was going to put this and my backlit GBA on eBay along with other great games but now not sure. Couldn't believe how great Yoshi's Island is! And as an added bonus: the woman there who sold them to me was BEYOND HOT! Had a look like Zoey desomething from TV but with some sweet looking ink. ;-). My apologies to the women who read this.....

Zooey Deschanel - yea I like her too. She has that ability to be both cute and hot at the same time. I think the first time I saw her was in the "Hitchhikers" movie a few years back.

Zooey Deschanel - yea I like her too. She has that ability to be both cute and hot at the same time. I think the first time I saw her was in the "Hitchhikers" movie a few years back.

Her sister's not bad either...

Her sister's not bad either...

Okay, since the topic has derailed (I wasn't going to go here) but Zooey is one of my favorites. That scene in Hitchhikers with the boxers. :lust:

On topicL Hit Goodwill today. Nothing game wise. Got a nice frame for $3.99 (with glass) and a few 9v power cords for a buck each. The old woman from the back was looking through the bins (not putting out) and grabbed a PC controller. Looking at the end disappointedly I asked her if she was looking for a controller to put out with a system. She said that she needed an NES controller. In response I asked if she was about to put one out. She said no, it was going to be purchased by her Grandson, but that she needed a controller. :| employee pilfering.

AX

CIMG2995.jpg

Found Real Sound: Kaze no Regret and American McGee's Alice (case & both discs only) at a hole in the wall thrift near downtown L.A. Kaze no Regret is missing the outer slipcase and bag of seeds, but the manual is still sealed and discs are in great shape, and since both it and Alice were $1 each, I can live with it.

Wacky, thanks for the link. Never heard of that. As a musician and general audiophile I'm intrigued about that title.

AX

Not really a thrift find by any means seeing as this cost an arm and a leg practically but I got in the mail today a console I've wanted for a very long time. a PC Engine Duo-R! It came in its original box(matching serial numbers FTW!) and has been region modded by the seller for me so I can play my US hueys on it as well. I know the region mod wasn't really necessary seeing as I have a Turbografx-16 but its nice not having to swap consoles to change regions, plus when I get a multiplayer tap and extra controllers I won't need to get one for each console instead just this one. Along with the console I also bought a nice selection of Japanese HuCard and CD games and got 2 freebies as well. The last game on the lower right is an arcade card game I won in a trivia contest over on PCengineFX that happened to arrive the same time as the Duo-R and right next to it the loose card you see is a Ten no Koe bank card, a card that adds to the systems memory so I can have more save slots for RPGs which was a very nice little surprise. :) All in all the console + mod + games + shipping ran me $380. :-o More then I've ever payed in one go for anything gaming related but it was worth it. :thumbsup:

duorbox.jpg

duor.jpg

duorgames.jpg

1. Zooey is the celebrity that I find the most atttractive, period. Saw her in "manic" first, good movie I believe with Don Cheadle, and yes, the boxers in hitchhiker. So beautiful. Anyway

The goodwill here throws cartridge games on the shelves. They go quickly because the flea market vendors, who sell games only and charge ebay prices, scour the place regularly. I buy CD's though, someone in the area (CT) is just getting out of Ska now. WTF? If you were in it for a minnit, then you got rid of your shit over a decade ago. Who held on to Ska all the way up to 2011 and then suddenly decided they don't like it anymore? Anyway, I have bought three ska t-shirts, two pairs of shoes which almost certainly came from the same person who had the tshirts, and mu330, moon comps, ruder than you, slackers, pietasters, buckonine, less than jake, planet smashers, vgs, and many other Ska cd's. At four bucks a CD, it's not piss money exactly, but it's still a great deal. Your average CD has what, 16 tracks? So that's .25 cents a song, or 75% off what you'd typically pay to download music, which is already relatively cheap. Kind of sad that music has been deflated like that, but it's not something that could have been stopped.

I also have a little crush on the girl there.