IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Can't wait to hit up flea markets and garage/yard sales, but the weather's not quite there yet.

I've seen a couple, but they were just clothes/baby stuff.

Seems like most of the yard sales I get to now are ALL baby clothes/items, or just more clothes and dirty/nasty garbage dump things.

Seems like most of the yard sales I get to now are ALL baby clothes/items, or just more clothes and dirty/nasty garbage dump things.

It's been like that for awhile around here too. I always think that with the amount of clothes I see people dump at good will or take to flea markets, it's possible for my local area to clothe the entire world.

Been a little slow lately, but did get a few good deals last weekend:

Purple N64 console only with expansion pack for $2. Haven't tested it, but can always swap out the board if needed with a cheap regular N64 system.

Genesis games for $1 each:

X-Men 2: Clone Wars complete

Jurassic Park complete

Ghostbusters cart only

A local recycling center was having a sale, so picked up these:

486 computer for $5. The motherboard is great because it has built in IDE and floppy connections, 2 serial ports, parallel port, and a VGA port. It also came with Soundblaster card with CD-ROM controller on it. To my surprise the two hard drives, floppy drives, and cd-rom drive still worked and had Windows 95 installed.

N64 ASCII racing wheel for $1

Edited by SEgamer

I got lucky this weekend (AND I went to a few yard sales/thrift stores too!). I found some Captain Power Toys unopened for $7, N64 Cruisin USA & SOTE CIB for .95 each, a box of old 80s toys like He-Man and M.A.S.K. for $2 and I'n going to check on some Atari games tomorrow. I also found Temple of Apshai, Ra, and Covert Action for the IBM all CIB.

I got lucky this weekend (AND I went to a few yard sales/thrift stores too!). I found some Captain Power Toys unopened for $7, N64 Cruisin USA & SOTE CIB for .95 each, a box of old 80s toys like He-Man and M.A.S.K. for $2 and I'n going to check on some Atari games tomorrow. I also found Temple of Apshai, Ra, and Covert Action for the IBM all CIB.

good find on the He - man toys... i have a bunch of them still in the box

Yeah, I still have Stratos from my childhood. I never got too much into the He-Man toys although I loved the show. Same thing with the Transformers, although I had a few more Transformers than He-Man. Both were great shows. BTW - did you know that the voice of Megatron is also the voice of Curious George?

Well, I went to check on the "Atari" today and it turned out to be ... a Colecovision!!! So, for $20 I got the system, both controllers, power supply, the 2600 adapter and a few 2600 games but I also got Cosmic Avenger, Donkey Kong, Frogger II Threedeep and Star Wars Arcade all for the Colecovision. Took it home, plugged it in and in less than a minute I was playing my new Colecovision - no problems. One controller doesn't work perfectly but the other one functions awesome!

• Like 1

Well, I went to check on the "Atari" today and it turned out to be ... a Colecovision!!! So, for $20 I got the system, both controllers, power supply, the 2600 adapter and a few 2600 games but I also got Cosmic Avenger, Donkey Kong, Frogger II Threedeep and Star Wars Arcade all for the Colecovision. Took it home, plugged it in and in less than a minute I was playing my new Colecovision - no problems. One controller doesn't work perfectly but the other one functions awesome!

Nice

Yeah, I still have Stratos from my childhood. I never got too much into the He-Man toys although I loved the show. Same thing with the Transformers, although I had a few more Transformers than He-Man. Both were great shows. BTW - did you know that the voice of Megatron is also the voice of Curious George?

Work the buttons that are giving you trouble firmly for a while. I assume side buttons? If after a couple hundred firm presses they still don't work you may need to take it apart. They tarnish internally on the contacts from lack of use over time.

• Like 1

I feel like a dumb ass for leaving an MK1 for original gameboy at goodwill for a buck and a half yesterday. Looked it up on Azon and they were going for $5. Damn, when did B&W commons start to be worth something for Gameboy?

I've got Play Action Football for the Gameboy - I can get $5 for it, right? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA all the way to the bank

Work the buttons that are giving you trouble firmly for a while. I assume side buttons? If after a couple hundred firm presses they still don't work you may need to take it apart. They tarnish internally on the contacts from lack of use over time.

Thanks for the tip, Ax. I didn't know that. I'll try it this week sometime.

Got to hit our local Paris Flea Market yesterday.

Saw (and passed on) a few good systems, boxed PS2 for $25, Xbox for $30, and a Gamecube for $25. All were complete and good prices for just starting out.

Saw the proverbial NES system with six VERY common games for $60, and a copy of SMB\Duck Hunt for $10. :roll:

BUT, I did snag an ALMOST complete boxed SNES Superscope for $8! All that is missing is the eye piece!

Found Paperboy for the Sega Genesis for $1, then four NES titles for a couple bucks each, Little Nemo, Zanac, Vega Dreams, and Boulder Dash.

Not a bad weekend.

Just got one of these for $1 at Goodwill today:

GabrielPocketBox.jpg

Complete like the one in that picture, but I don't know if all of the "chips" are in there (obviously, mine doesn't have the baggie of extras). It's a heck of a lot smaller than the Tournament edition I picked up a few years back @_@

Then went to the thrift across the street, just in time for all the crazies and the scaries to flock in >_< The audiophile PSX was gone, but the other two were still there. Didn't find much besides a copy of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for Gamecube, which the Internet tells me is basically just a port of Dreamcast's SA2.

Edited by Asaki

GabrielPocketBox.jpg

Complete like the one in that picture, but I don't know if all of the "chips" are in there (obviously, mine doesn't have the baggie of extras). It's a heck of a lot smaller than the Tournament edition I picked up a few years back @_@

Then went to the thrift across the street, just in time for all the crazies and the scaries to flock in >_< The audiophile PSX was gone, but the other two were still there. Didn't find much besides a copy of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for Gamecube, which the Internet tells me is basically just a port of Dreamcast's SA2.

Great finds! Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is one of my favorite games!

I've never been able to get into it much (the original DC version, at least), it gives me really bad motion sickness.

Also, re-reading that, I might clarify that the two PSXes left were not audiophile models, and I did not buy them ;)

GabrielPocketBox.jpg

I had this one at one point. It does indeed look like you have all the chips. And the two chip trays.

That's not mine, just a pic I found online ;)

But yeah, I counted all the discs and they're all there (sans the two extras shown). Funny enough, it wasn't until I was about halfway through counting them that I remembered that the game wouldn't be quite as enjoyable if any of them were missing.

I need to superglue one, though.

I've got a good question:

How do you guys plan out your yard sale/garage sale/flea market days? Do you scour the newspaper, check Craigslist, or even use some of the new yard sale apps I've heard about? Do you draw out a map and work outward in a circle or something? I've never caught on to how to be 'efficient' at it. I always end up going to 1 or 2 of them and then my entire day is gone and all the good stuff is already sold, more than likely, so I end up going home. I can hit a couple local thrift stores, but never really flea markets or yard sales. Let me in on your secrets! :)

I've got a good question:

How do you guys plan out your yard sale/garage sale/flea market days? Do you scour the newspaper, check Craigslist, or even use some of the new yard sale apps I've heard about? Do you draw out a map and work outward in a circle or something? I've never caught on to how to be 'efficient' at it. I always end up going to 1 or 2 of them and then my entire day is gone and all the good stuff is already sold, more than likely, so I end up going home. I can hit a couple local thrift stores, but never really flea markets or yard sales. Let me in on your secrets! :)

I normally just use the newspaper.

But, today I just ran across a garage sale that was in my neighborhood. I walked out with 3 complete PC games: Prey ($2), Dead Space ($2), and Quake 4 ($1). I'm feeling pretty good!

I never plan it out anymore. Seems like if I take out cash from the ATM and plan on anything, I end up with nothing. The moment I just stop because I see something and have peanuts for cash I get the best deals. I don't know if that holds true for anyone else.

Me too. I grab whatever cash I have on hand and then just set out. There are a few areas of town I don't go to anymore because they are either too pricey, just clothes or dirty junk but I find the best deals when I just stop because something looks intereasting (or if I see a lot of tubs/boxes).

This is my Last Haul for a while..

Load Metallica - Cassette $3.97 Amazon

Reload Metallica - $4.88 Amazon

Sega Master System 2, Flogs and Flies VCS - $63 shipped

Master Converter 2 $51.89 Ebay

Master Game Adapter Traded

Bubble Bobble NES - $5 Yesteryears This came in March. I forgot to post it

Wii Boss Red - $6.49 Gamestop

3 Blank Cassette Tapes $2.98 Goodwill

Q Bert Red Pictured 2600 $4.50 AtariAge

RCA Component Cable $3.23 Eco Thrift

Voltron Collection One, 2 Cassette Tapes $9.59 Rasputin Records