IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Today the lords of thrift saw fit to smile upon me. I found a giant box of SMS games - all boxed. I picked up about ten of them including an Activision labeled game (I think those are rare). They also had a big sack of controllers for SMS including a roller ball, two guns, two controllers, video hookup wires, and arcade joystick (though the gearshift shaped handle is missing. I saw the box for the arcade stick on the shelf and thought that it was lucky that I found two of them in a day, but for some reason the box turned out to be full of rocks. (!)

I also found an N64 with two controllers and some add-ons that I don't know what they're for. That was $4, and I picked up GoldenEye for another $4.

The biggie today is that I found a "64-in-1" NES bootleg console for $6. I've seen this particular one before, but never for less than $50. It looks like an N64 controller with a gun barrel on the end. Yep, it plays Zapper games! It also included a second controller toi jack into it for playing 2 player games. There's also a big custom configuration cart that sticks out the bottom.

When you fire it up, it gives you a menu of 64 games to chose from. Many have their titles changed and the sprites are hacked so it's somewhat less ovbious that these are stolen Nintnedo games. The weird thing is that when you pop off the cart, the unit still works and it becomes a "9,999-in-1" game unit! There are tons of repeat titles of course. I think that it's sort of like Game Genie codes... different game selections give you infinite life, start at a later level, etc. It's very cool and very flimsy so it'll get the kid gloves treatment from me.

Haven't had a score this cool in a while! With the weekend coming up, I"m going to stay cocooned in my frozen Chicago apartment. To the rest of you, good luck finding great stuff!

I've seen a few of those joystick/lightgun games around. Have one here..."power joy" Some chain must've been selling them or something.

I haven't really thrifted this week, but happened to stop in the Goodwill near my office and scored a few 5200 games including junglehunt which completes my rarity 1's and buck rogers for .99 each. Left 4 other commons there.

No sign of the console or joysticks. :( I hate that...enough carts that you just know someone else snagged the console and that Bounty Bob Strike Back or whatever. Ah well, still a good find.

No sign of the console or joysticks. :(  I hate that...enough carts that you just know someone else snagged the console and that Bounty Bob Strike Back or whatever.  Ah well, still a good find.

I recall finding 10 saturn manuals. No games or console in sight.

This has to be the second worse thrift feeling next to the dreaded "Going back" *eek*

"Knowing someone beat you to it". :(

This has to be the second worse thrift feeling next to the dreaded "Going back" *eek*

Oh yeah...thrifter's nightmare. Like when you find a lonely Combat and Pacman sitting there (or a Mario/Duck hunt and some sports titles). Someone's been there and cleaned it out, leaving the dregs behind. :x

Oh yeah...thrifter's nightmare. Like when you find a lonely Combat and Pacman sitting there (or a Mario/Duck hunt and some sports titles). Someone's been there and cleaned it out, leaving the dregs behind. :x

Heh heh! Yea thats me! I remember going into a thrift and finding a box of Atari stuff. Then with box in hand, I turn around and as I walk to the cash register, I see this guy who came in shortly after I did, looking at the box in my hand and with furrowed brow he says, under his breath "Atari! . . . S**T!). As I'm paying for my goodies, I'm watching him tear the shelves apart hoping I forgot something. I did not! :D

Woohoo! All hope is not lost. :) I stopped in there again today (it's on the way home from work) and they had 5200 Star Wars Arcade labeled for $1.25 with today's date (the others were Monday.) Maybe they're just slow in getting it all out on the shelf.

On a related note, I noticed this week that both of the area Goodwills I was in (cutting back from my usual round of a half dozen or more) had a massive influx of donated goods in general.

Of course, the other one I stopped in today (closer to the house) had that lonely combat cart sitting there. :)

I might make a circuit tomorrow to see what the other stores have.

Aha,, so have found a usefull thrift here. Today i picked up 10 nes ans 5 sms carts. The nes arent anything thrilling but the sms carts and boxes all have SEGA PROMO stickers on them,, No idea about sms carts but i like the machine,, They are time soldiers, strider, outrun, double dragon and Klax.

I rescued a 5200 controller, a Slik Stik controller, a Sears Blackjack, and an inidentifiable Super Famicom game cartridge at the flea market today.

I'm not sure which game the Super Famicom one is. The label shows a tree and a house in a misty photo. The code on the label is: SHVC-EU.

Anyone know which game this is?

Aha,, so  have found a usefull thrift here. Today i picked up 10 nes ans 5 sms carts. The nes arent anything thrilling but the sms carts and boxes all have SEGA PROMO stickers on them,, No idea about sms carts but i like the machine,, They are time soldiers, strider, outrun, double dragon and Klax.

I have a Penguin Land with that label as well. I'm not sure there's really any significance, maybe they were meant for in store display but they're still the same games - no differences I can see. :P

I'm really liking the SMS, thanx megamanfan, The built in alex kid in miracle world was a bit of a shock.... Anyways, heres todays finds.

1 Famicom clone which looks like a SNES, Its called a superman and im still laughing.

1 Hanimex HMG-2650, This i beleive is the australian Arcadia? The pads have 12 buttons like the inty. The games are definately arcadia. This came with 5 boxed games with overlays.

After 3 Weeks Of Absolute Dryness, I fianlly struck gold today on what I wanted, It was on my mind yesterday night and was showing a friend going to Melbourne To look out for an Atari 7800. Coinsidence Or Luck, I found One with the 7800 32 In 1 Cart, Two Pads, Manuals, Power Cord, RF and the actual system for only A$15 He also had some HES Carts the guy I got it from, but I don't like HES carts. and The ain't worth shit here. The onlyuthing wrong with it is that had a rubber foot missing, but I pulled one off a Spare Jr. ;) Thats Not All I found, either. I found a Boxed Commodore Datasette and a Very thick VIC-20 Book for only A$2. Great Day Today, I've beenb wanting a 7800 For 6-9 Months!

Not thrift per say, but some flea market finds today...

Bugs Bunny Birthday, complete in box $4

Legend of Zelda, complete in box $5 (not a big deal, but I didn't have it)

And in the "it never hurts to ask" category...I picked up a couple of things from the extremely overpriced lady (she charges $7.00 for 5200 commons and $10 for NES commons loose.)

SMS Phantasy Star, complete and pretty minty looking $10

Wico Command Controll joystick for the 5200, $5

I also saw a NES top loader that the guy will sell me for $40 complete, but I didn't have $40 on me. I'll probably swing by and get it from him next week.

The Wico is a great find for me. No more worrying about upkeep on the stock controllers and it'll play the games that my comp pros wont.

All in all a worthwhile trip to the dirtmall for me. :)

And in the continuing saga of the phantom 5200...

Stopped in the goodwill near work again today and they had a bunch of stuff...

Complete hook ups for a 5200

Complete hook ups for a 7800

Paddles and Driving controllers

Large stack of 2600&7800 games (every last one a common)

So I'm piling crap on the checkout and mention that I'm suprised that the consoles aren't out when everything else is. The checkout lady tells me to ask the guy in back if he's going to put them out today.

So I go to the back and ask him. He says that he put a console out earlier and didn't see any more back there (doesn't mean much, the place looks like a bomb went off back there.) Argh! That explains why all of the carts were common. Someone grabbed the console and probably any carts that were uncommon or rare.

Pretty disappointing, but I did manage to snag some commons that I didn't have as well as a few label upgrades for .99 each and thepower supplies, joysticks, and paddles were $1.25 each. Considering what the 7800 PS goes for (and I had a 7800 without one) I still came away with a good find, just not the find it could've been.

Score :D

Today I found some C.D's :

Metal Gear Solid - Original game soundtrack

Green Day - Fully illistrated book and interveiw disk

and the thrift owner put aside a whole bunch of SMS stuff for me that

I'll go back for *eek* on tuesday :D even though they have a "no holding" policy.

I feel so special :)

PaulMcCraneFan, thats too much.

A way to see if its worth that much is leave it a week and if its still there

its to expensive. Then offer the owner a reasonable price for it, if they say

no go back every week and offer a little less, make sure to say

"Oh! is that "STILL" here" and they should soon catch on ;) if not, let some other fool buy it.

I thought so, especially for a "thrift" store. I told the girl that was working that it's only worth about half of what they were charging for it, at the most. But I'm sure they won't lower the price. I realize that the money from this store does go to charity, but they went overboard on this one. I got a humungous Atari 2600 lot there last fall for only $50.00, a lot that I would estimate the value of as at least $100. You'd think they'd be more consistent on their pricing.

The only way to find a "Bargain" is if they aren't consistent on their pricing :D

If it's on a back shelf or in the corner, take the price off it and ask them

how much it is worth ;) I'v got some really good bargains like this (not really

but they sometimes put stuff out that isn't priced and I get the checkout chick

to give me a price :D )

The only way to find a "Bargain" is if they aren't consistent on their pricing :D

I did that before and I got a pair of SuperAction Controllers for $1.99. They originally listed for $4.99.

Haven't tried it again since. It's a bit dishonest.

I did that before and I got a pair of SuperAction Controllers for $1.99. They originally listed for $4.99.

Haven't tried it again since. It's a bit dishonest.

Like I said I haven't actually done that mainly becase "It's a bit dishonest"

But sometimes my local thrift puts out stuff they havent priced yet.

I saved a PC Propad 6 from being put into "another" overpriced megadrive

package and got it for $5 :)

Also just recently (and not games related) I got a really nice BelleHowell

Super 8 camera with carry case and manual for $5 It has a really nice

brushed silver and woodgrain look :D

They also had a scabby looking Hanimex Super 8 cam for $10 behind glass

(I got that too because it had a tape in it) (it also had leaky batteries :( )

Also got a Gravis 4 button Joystick for $1 because it didn't have a price tag :D

Like I said earlier, I have some stuff on hold even though the store has a

no holding policy. Getting to know your local thrift owner is the best thing

you can do to lower prices ;)