IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Well, Disney hasn't f-cked up Marvel up yet.....

Actually, in all seriousness, Disney doesn't muddle in the day to day affairs of the companies that they own, unlike other companies (EA, I'm looking at you!). They just pump in the money, assist with their direction and projects, and get rich off it. It's a pretty good strategy. :)

I'm more worried about Abrams ruining it.

Craigslist deal for $70

post-5812-0-39719900-1396677024_thumb.jpg

I've tested the Wii and the 7800 so far. The 7800 works fine, but it did not come with a power supply. The Wii came with it's sensor bar and other cables; it works, but it won't play disks - anyone know a fix for that?

The Genesis came with no cords at all; the N64 has a power cord and composite cable; the Xbox has an RF cable and a power cord.

I can test Xbox, but I don't have any N64 or Genesis games. I'll probably offer them as untested consoles in the marketplace.

Edit - the Xbox works but it is hard to get the tray open. Probably just needs to be cleaned and re-greased. I also discovered that the N64 has the memory expansion.

Edit (4/9/14) The N64 works! I was able to borrow a controller and some games from a buddy of mine. Now I can collect for this great system.

Edit (4/16/14) The Genesis works! It had an average amount of roach carapaces in it but was also covered in something sticky. Even the board was sticky. The power port was loose, so I tried to resolder. It's better than it was, but it won't last forever. Still it is a working Genesis and I don't have one of those. I took the Wii to a local place who replaced the laser for $45. I consider that a good deal after pricing the lasers. I could have done it myself of course but that was too good to pass up. It is going to go on loan to my MiLaw and when she finally gets a toaster that plays Netfilx, I'll get it back as a long term backup.

• Like 3

Yeah ... cause Lucas did great with the prequels :P. Disney will not fail us ...

Aside from the terrible CGI, I liked Episode II, and I thought Ep III was really good (until the "NOOOOO" scene, at least).

But that's besides the point...it just really irks me that they're going to such great lengths to make sure that people understand that Star Wars is a Disney brand. The Marvel thing was weird, but I haven't seen dozens of promo shots of X-Men dancing with Mickey and friends.

Han shot first!

Also besides the point ;) And on that note, if Disney actually release the OUT, I will eat my hat. I don't see that changing any time soon, I'm sure it was probably a huge clause in the contract.

Although I am surprised that Disney's lawyers haven't gone CAD-crazy on all the fan edits/preservations/bootlegs/etc. yet.

Edit - the Xbox works but it is hard to get the tray open. Probably just needs to be cleaned and re-greased.

Mine has the same problem. IIRC, the problem is actually because of a bad trace on the motherboard. I need to buy some wire so I can fix mine, because now the power button doesn't work =|

My recent finds:

Found a few Laserdiscs at a thrift shop for 2.50 each.

attachicon.gif20140330_194622.jpg

attachicon.gif20140330_194607.jpg

attachicon.gif20140330_194540.jpg

attachicon.gif20140330_194510.jpg

attachicon.gif20140330_194453.jpg

attachicon.gif20140330_194435.jpg

Unfortunately my player only supports Pal, so i cannot watch Universal Soldiers, Lion King and Patriot Games. I love the big artwork so maybe i'm going to frame these.

Nice thing about collecting laserdiscs is i now watching movies i otherwise wouldn't have watched. But since they are cheap i do buy them and watch them.

These CD-i games came from a trade i did with a other collector. He hooked me up with these games.

attachicon.gif20140330_194355.jpg

I found these three original xbox games at the same shop i found the laserdiscs. At 1.50 each i couldn't pass.

attachicon.gif20140330_194258.jpg

Yesterday i found these 2 games. Grand Prix i found at a thrift shop. It was only 80 euro cent. I almost passed on the game since it was in German. But when i watched the specs i noticed it was a Amiga game. Since this is the first time i come across a Amiga game in a thrift shop i had to buy it. TDU2 i bought at a gamestore. It was on heavy discount for only 7 euro's.

attachicon.gif20140330_194239.jpg

Laserdiscs!!

Craigslist deal for $70

attachicon.gifConsoleLot.jpg

I've tested the Wii and the 7800 so far. The 7800 works fine, but it did not come with a power supply. The Wii came with it's sensor bar and other cables; it works, but it won't play disks - anyone know a fix for that?

The Genesis came with no cords at all; the N64 has a power cord and composite cable; the Xbox has an RF cable and a power cord.

I can test Xbox, but I don't have any N64 or Genesis games. I'll probably offer them as untested consoles in the marketplace.

Edit - the Xbox works but it is hard to get the tray open. Probably just needs to be cleaned and re-greased. I also discovered that the N64 has the memory expansion.

Wii sounds like it needs a new Laser or disc drive. Xbox probably needs a new drive belt.

• Like 1

probably right on both counts - any idea where I can get those items?

eBay and eBay :-D I HIGHLY advise that if it is only the laser on the Wii and not the whole drive, buy a part from a US seller (seeing that you are from Texas). I purchased 4 Xbox 360 lasers from china and 4 were DOA (dead on arrival). Seller would not refund me so I had to open up a eBay claim and won. So do yourself a favor and spend the extra $1-2 and buy from a US seller. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helped some :)

eBay and eBay :-D I HIGHLY advise that if it is only the laser on the Wii and not the whole drive, buy a part from a US seller (seeing that you are from Texas). I purchased 4 Xbox 360 lasers from china and 4 were DOA (dead on arrival). Seller would not refund me so I had to open up a eBay claim and won. So do yourself a favor and spend the extra $1-2 and buy from a US seller. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helped some :)

mtilly ... I have NO idea what you said ... I can't stop watching your avatar long enough to read what you wrote.

• Like 2

Picked up some more CDs B)

PanterA - Cowboys from Hell, The Cranberries - To the Faithful Departed, Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses, Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning (promo)...uh...I can't remember the other ones I grabbed...

Xbox probably needs a new drive belt.

Probably not.

http://fillwithcoolblogname.blogspot.com/2011/02/1st-gen-xbox-trace-corrosion-repair.html

"Symptoms of this problem are be-ing unable to power up the Xbox using the power button, Xbox mysteriously being powered on everytime the power plug is in, missing LED colors, eject not working properly."

The eject problem was the first to show up for me. The rest came more recently.

This website has some more information and better pictures pointing out what to look for:

http://theisozone.com/tutorials/xbox/hardware-and-modding/trace-corrosion-repair/

Edited by Asaki

Picked up some more CDs B)

PanterA - Cowboys from Hell, The Cranberries - To the Faithful Departed, Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses, Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning (promo)...uh...I can't remember the other ones I grabbed...

Probably not.

http://fillwithcoolblogname.blogspot.com/2011/02/1st-gen-xbox-trace-corrosion-repair.html

"Symptoms of this problem are be-ing unable to power up the Xbox using the power button, Xbox mysteriously being powered on everytime the power plug is in, missing LED colors, eject not working properly."

The eject problem was the first to show up for me. The rest came more recently.

This website has some more information and better pictures pointing out what to look for:

http://theisozone.com/tutorials/xbox/hardware-and-modding/trace-corrosion-repair/

Lol considering repairing xboxes is my specialty. But I'm not going to argue, he can do as he wishes

Lol considering repairing xboxes is my specialty. But I'm not going to argue, he can do as he wishes

Ah, well, that's the problem mine has.

Not looking forward to fixing it, either. All of the contact points look way too tiny to solder to.

Wii's are getting to be cheap enough that it might not be worth fixing it up to use the drive. Personally I would softmod it and use it as a dedicated emulator box.

• Like 1

Wii's are getting to be cheap enough that it might not be worth fixing it up to use the drive. Personally I would softmod it and use it as a dedicated emulator box.

Good point! +1 for this option!

I think I'll give it to my Mother in Law as a Netflix player. But if she doesn't want it then I'll try the softmod option. PM me a link if you know of a good one for that.

@mtilly - I could NOT find the drive belts for the original XBox. That seems like an easy thing to try - you got any for me?

I think I'll give it to my Mother in Law as a Netflix player. But if she doesn't want it then I'll try the softmod option. PM me a link if you know of a good one for that.

@mtilly - I could NOT find the drive belts for the original XBox. That seems like an easy thing to try - you got any for me?

This is the only one I could find

OK well I guess the URL wanted to eat my text as well. Hopefully this post will show the URL: http://store.richspsxparts.com/rebefororxbs.html

Edited by mtilly

Found some games at Goodwill for $0.99, not many, but:

Red Ninja: End of Honor (PS2)

Swordquest: Fire World (Atari 2600)

Taz-Mania (SNES)

The Ren & Stimpy Show: Time Warp (SNES)

There were more but I only had $5 cash on me and they don't take checks, debit cards, etc.