IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Nice.

BTW if you need some help selling one of those ultra rare Combat carts or if you need a console to go with the Combat cart I know someone selling a brand new never opened still in the box oh wait I mean opened only once loved for decades yet shoved in a closet and then down some stairs while pooping triangles this is old school get it? poopyheads Atari for $300 ........... with Pac-Man.

• Like 1

Nice.

BTW if you need some help selling one of those ultra rare Combat carts or if you need a console to go with the Combat cart I know someone selling a brand new never opened still in the box oh wait I mean opened only once loved for decades yet shoved in a closet and then down some stairs while pooping triangles this is old school get it? poopyheads Atari for $300 ........... with Pac-Man.

While I was trying to get my money out of my wallet, the price went up to $400. I told her I'd have to go to the bank to get more money, but she said no one was going to get it, EVAR!!!, because she was taking her new used new used new Vader and sealed Pac-Man and going home.

Well, I tested another one; the newer of the two 4-switch versions (i.e., the one with the real 4-switch base instead of a converted light sixer base). This one seemed only lightly used, and the switches felt like new when operated. The switches felt exactly like the switches on the Vader I bought new as a kid in 1985. Inside it was quite clean, just a bit dusty, and the card-edge connector was rather clean too. It seemed to work perfectly when I tested it, aside from the dull colors that the 4-switch models are known for (I don't have any 820 ohm resistors onhand right now to fix that). However, while testing everything, I noticed the 2nd player difficulty switch was flaky. I figured it was probably a bad solder joint, because the switch itself seemed fine. I desoldered and resoldered the three legs on that switch and now it works perfectly.

It is going to take a while to test them all, because I like to make sure they are clean inside (especially the card-edge connector) before testing.

• Like 1

Some of my recent Atari-related finds:

This afternoon after work I stopped at a Savers thrift store and spotted on the electronics shelf an Atari Flashback 2 with both controllers and an (incorrect) AC adapter for $7.

Back in May I stopped at a yard sale a few towns away from my house and found the homeowner was selling a boxed 2600, telegames branded storage center, and CIB games. His asking price was $150 firm as "that's what they go for on eBay." Too much for me so I declined and left. Fast forward to three weeks ago when I was out yard sailing in the same area, I see the same house is having another yard sale. I stopped to find the Atari lot was still unsold and the asking prices was now $100 OBO. I haggled with the guy for a minute and we agreed upon $65.

The 2600 box is in fair shape but missing almost all of the internal packaging. The games & boxes were stored inside the console box since the 80s, so they're in near mint shape. I own most of the games in fair to rough condition, so this lot was a nice condition upgrade for me. The non-atari games is what I picked up at other sales that morning.

0513DADB-B8E1-86F2-3211437703889CBC.png

All 5 of those Ataris are now cleaned and tested, and they all work perfectly. Also, I noticed that one of those 4 Combat cartridges I got is an "01 combat", which is probably the actual Combat cartridge that came with my heavy sixer from the factory, which is pretty cool. It will be my default Combat cartridge from now on:

hBO9GUc.jpg

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 2

I picked up a turbographx-16 in the original box (box is worn) with 2 games for $40 at a swap meet today. I thought that was a pretty okay deal. I brought it home and it works fine. Now I need to locate a multi cart for it. This is one of the best systems in my opinion. I bought one new in 1992 for $129.

• Like 1

Well I stopped by a closing Pawn Shop / Junk Store and everything was 70% off.
Most of the games were newer material, but I did manage to spot something quite nice...

It's a copy of Riven: The Sequel to Myst. The manual is missing, but everything else looks to be in great condition. Only cost me like $1.
I'm not super interested in keeping it, so if anybody here wants it, just shoot me a PM. Probably just send it for free even. lol

qwfoOVk.jpg

Made a trip to various thrift stores around town

post-31281-0-82247100-1444948152_thumb.jpg

Oddly enough one thrift store had a complete copy of General Chaos for $15, but nothing else was price checked.

post-31281-0-68491500-1444948146_thumb.jpg

This isn't a thrift store, but I saw this a during the same trip at Best Buy (yes, today, in 2015)

I picked up an Atari 2600 Jr at Goodwill today. I was going to pass on it cuz they were asking $30 for the system, all cords with original RF switch, 1 controller plus 3 games - Jr Pac-Man, Pole Position, & 1 other (I forgot what but common I think). They had it locked in a case so I asked to see it & it looked pretty mint, the metal strip on the front even had the original thin plastic film on it. Brought it home to test and tried out Jr Pac-Man, the joystick is one of the best I've ever used, nice control & tight.

Nice little "instant collection" there, rmcalhoun!

So today my roommate and I are doing our volunteer work at the thrift shop when the roomy gets a text from one of the managers. The manager is working at the sister store, which specializes in more upscale resales but also accepts donations just like the main store. They got a box of video game bits in and wondered if I could do anything with it. I look at the included picture and say, "Yes, absolutely!" So after a quick detour to the sister shop, I bring home a box full of goodies like these...

post-6115-0-95733400-1445743031_thumb.jpg

..and these...

post-6115-0-91689400-1445743044_thumb.jpg

...and this.

post-6115-0-85189600-1445743060_thumb.jpg

That's the Atari Game Library mentioned in the older Atari catalogs like this one. I hadn't seen one in the flesh until now.

I noticed at the store there was an also an Atari 2600 console in the box, but I didn't think much more about it until I got home and dug it out from under all the other bits. That's when I discovered this!

post-6115-0-08665600-1445743261_thumb.jpg

It's October 24th, 2015, and I just snagged a Heavy in the wild! Happy day! Best of all, it works!

• Like 1

Nice score on the heavy, I already had everything system wise except the Fairchild but Ill keep the games I need then clean test and sell the extras and doubles and throw the cash back in the game fund.. Have another pick up lined up for tomorrow from a guy who cleans out storage units/repos/estates etc. Never know what he is going to have a lot of times its bins of junk but there is always at least a cople worth while things mixed in

Oh, you're gonna love this. I got a Nintendo Wii and The Last Story for ten dollars at a yard sale, but the system looks like it was resting at the bottom of a landfill for the past three years. The GameCube panel was ripped off, and the ports inside were filthier than a Larry Flynt magazine. However, a little cleaning (a LOT of cleaning) got the system back on its feet. If only I could say the same for the Wiimotes, which seem pretty much shot. The Wiimote Plus has burned out LEDs and can't communicate with accessores, and the standard Wiimote works only for fifteen minutes at a time before blinking out. Blast!

post-393-0-50529800-1446183605_thumb.png

post-393-0-76512700-1446183626_thumb.png

post-393-0-28778400-1446183687_thumb.png

• Like 4

Oh, you're gonna love this. I got a Nintendo Wii and The Last Story for ten dollars at a yard sale, but the system looks like it was resting at the bottom of a landfill for the past three years. The GameCube panel was ripped off, and the ports inside were filthier than a Larry Flynt magazine. However, a little cleaning (a LOT of cleaning) got the system back on its feet. If only I could say the same for the Wiimotes, which seem pretty much shot. The Wiimote Plus has burned out LEDs and can't communicate with accessores, and the standard Wiimote works only for fifteen minutes at a time before blinking out. Blast!

There's just something about bringing an old system back to its former glory. It truly is a labor of love.

Jeez, That Wii looks like it came back in time from a landfill in the year 2045! I still think of the Wii as a more or less modern system when compared to the consoles we normally discuss on AtariAge. Seeing one in that condition boggles the mind. Thanks for sharing. The black model is cool, but might be harder to find a matching top door for it.