IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Sadly, this one has bit the dust as well. I was running OS 9.2.2 and it just stopped working. I now get the infamous blinking question mark/folder. The eMac no longer recognizes the hard drive. I even attempted a HD swap to reinstall 9.2.2 and it did not recognize that HD either. It won't PRAM reset and it does not see any HD when I try to set the boot sequence. The logic board is probably out. Sad times ...

Did you try replacing the battery on the logic board (if there is one). I've had experience with older Mac system losing their minds entirely when that logic board battery is drained.

Did you try replacing the battery on the logic board (if there is one). I've had experience with older Mac system losing their minds entirely when that logic board battery is drained.

Not yet, I will try that (if there is one). Thanks.

No pics, but I hit up a local flea market over the weekend and snagged a couple games and some 80's heavy metal vinyl! I picked up the following:

-Rambo III for the SMS, CIB

-Twin Cobra for the Genesis, CIB

-Y&T: Mean Streak

-Michael Schenker Group: Assault Attack

-Saxon: The Power and the Glory

I picked them all up from the same guy too. The two games had label fading, but were complete. Twin Cobra even had the old Sega poster in it from around 1990! I have been chasing that game for a while, so it was nice to add it to the collection. As far as the records go, I was really excited to find a Saxon record in the wild without overpaying. Another booth at the same market was selling metal records, and was getting $25-50 a pop for stuff like that! I got it all for about $30. I've been seeing Twin Cobra alone go for that, so I'm happy.

• Like 1

I stopped at my local Savers today and I came across a new Logitech Wingman GP Racing Wheel set for the PC still wrapped up in the box. I paid $15 for the set, kinda unsure if it would even work, the racing wheel dates from 2002. I wasn't surprised my Win7 PC recognized it and loaded the drivers nor that my copy of Outrun 2006 PC worked like a champ with it. What DID surprise me was that apparently it appears to be supported by the XBox 360/PS3. I plugged the wheel into my PS3 and the console treated it like a normal controller at the main menu. That is awesome, it makes the $15 I spent much more worth it if I can use it with something like Gran Turismo.

• Like 1

I found another Interplay manual mixed in with the books at Goodwill. This one's from The Forgotten Realms Archives, which is pretty cool because my Dual Jewel version of it just came with PDF files...and a couple of password wheels that I have misplaced =|

Edited by Asaki

Saw a nice looking flat CRT that measured over 30 inches. I mean flat, like if you flipped it on the back a party of 20 can snort coke off of it! But a quick check on the back ruled out buying it. RF and 1 composite/audio input and the yellow plug looked like someone used blowtorch to it. I think it may have been cooked by lightning.

I did pick up a very cheap video camera, it has color viewfinder made from using a 1/2" LCD panel. If I could make it work (probably analog RGB) and could find a tiny emulator board like ultra small Pi plus 3D printer I could do a mini Lynx :D like the cover of video game magazine when Lynx was first introduced.

Fighting Fantasy #20: Sword of the Samurai

Grailquest #3: The Gateway of Doom

Weird that I don't recall hearing of Grailquest before. Sounds like it's a little bit different from FF, and actually has continuity to it.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

Found 2 Famicom carts: Gradius and Milon's Secret Castle. The real stuff from Japan, not the clones or counterfeit that comes up a lot toward late Famicom era. I wonder if someone died and his relative who disliked game stuff dumped them to Salvation Army? Genuine Famicom normally don't pop up outside used game shop and garage sales.

This just goes to show how cheap and greedy people in my area are. I seen this listing a few days ago for $20 listed as "old video game system". I clicked it and was like holy crap mine! I emailed and offered $80 even though she was only asking $20. I then showed my buddy who pointed out it had a booster which I knew nothing about. Turbo grafx is not my expertise. So I sent another email offering $125.

Got a phone call today from the lady selling it and said I gave the highest offer and it was mine. While I was there she told me she had an offer of $10, mind you she was asking $20. She had another offer of $50 then my two offers. So essentially I "could" have got this for $80 but I don't care about paying her the $125 for it. I try not to totally rip people off lol.

Anyhow here it is. It had an RF but it does not work. I tested w/my RF so it is not the port it is the cable. The booster works. I needed all games but Keith Courage. I am torn on selling the booster but I either have to sell the booster w/the system or my rf and cover. I kind of like my cover so I think I will give up the booster, it's worth a lot anyhow. I'm still deciding.... I may just keep both systems screw it lol.

Anyway to fix the r/f?

post-25078-0-99450600-1459395767_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Very big of you, Iceman. You have my respect. Nice gets, too!

Time for another round-up!

Not too long ago I showed off a bundle of '80s Troma DVDs that had come into the place where I help. More recently we saw these...

post-6115-0-21209300-1459481408_thumb.jpg

Just the thing for when I find that perfect girl!

And then a whole smorgasbord of goodies showed up...

post-6115-0-94442200-1459481608_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-06509100-1459481615_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-21368000-1459481619_thumb.jpg

I claimed a few of these for myself and put the rest in the for-sale threads. Needless to say they didn't last long!

post-6115-0-79467100-1459481702_thumb.jpg

Apparently somebody was really gung ho about 3D and then... really not gung ho about 3D! World War Z hadn't even been opened, and the remaining discs were in great shape, even if some of the cases weren't. The I, Frankenstein disc is interesting. It seems to be a 3D-only release, but I can't find anywhere where the 3D version is sold new by itself. The disc has a rental sticker, so I'm guessing this was originally sold for rental. Technically that would make it one of the rarest releases of the movie, but as we all know in the video game world, rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable!

post-6115-0-71828700-1459482321_thumb.jpg

If I may lean on another movie reference... :D

A few weeks back I acquired a PSP, which meant I finally had something to test UMD games and discs. And now there's this:

post-6115-0-42739600-1459482495_thumb.jpg

The power jack does not like to keep a good connection and there is a parental lock I'll have to muscle past, but other than that it works quite well. This may be the first time since the Game Boy Advance I've actually owned a Nintendo portable while it was still on the market. So naturally the rumors are flying that it won't be on the market much longer.

And finally...

post-6115-0-89534200-1459482771_thumb.jpg

I found all these at another one of my usual weekend stops. A good selection and the price was right!

• Like 1

Weird that I don't recall hearing of Grailquest before. Sounds like it's a little bit different from FF, and actually has continuity to it.

I had all the grailquest books as a kid. Did through the first 4. Real great expansions on the Choose Your Own Adventure book formula.