IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Very big of you, Iceman. You have my respect. Nice gets, too!

:) Yeah, being honest with people will get you much more than trying to screw them. I always tell people what I think their games are worth and generally offer about half. If they say no "which has not happened yet" I'm not out anything. I also leave them my name and number and tell them I will give them an honest estimate.

Every time I tell my aunt I purchased a bunch of games for $100 or $200 more than the person was asking, she tells me I am nuts. I tell her no I'm not. She needs to understand these people tell their friends and their friends and I'm not thought of as screwing them over. I get random calls to buy peoples games from. It's not a bad move to let people know who to call when they want to sell some games.

• Like 4

Real great expansions on the Choose Your Own Adventure book formula.

Well technically they are all just revisions of something that Tunnels & Trolls started, but CYOA and Twist-A-Plot wisely decided to drop the character sheets, dice, battles, etc.

Where did you get said PSP TV from?

Wal-Mart is clearing them out. Plain PSTVs are $20, and bundles go for $30. Note that the free game vouchers inside have expired (I'm working on getting mine honored by Sony customer service) but everything else should work fine. I'll be keeping the controller but have debated what to do with the system and memory card, as I already own a PSTV and don't really need another (and don't want to activate one under my account).

So I'm coming home from the grocery store and I pass one of our local game stores, Game Cycle 2, and as I'm at the stop light I notice a father and son bringing in some boxes and I see atari games. So I go home and wait half an hour then go back and look through the box, nothing spectacular but I did get a back up copy of Frostbite and a couple of manuals I didn't have. In case he's watching this thread, I'd just like to thank "Red" for hooking me up :)

post-2493-0-79319800-1459712513_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I picked up about 80 disks (5.25) for the Atari for about $12. Only a few original disks (Summer Games & Juggles House) but they both work. The rest of the disks are homemade with a lot of utilities. I did come across some BBS disks and I would like to figure out how to fire them up and check out the BBS. I did come across PROTerm and it had a few BBS's listed - maybe someone here recognizes them: Peanut Gallery, Blackstar, Atari Base, BAAUG (Bay Area Atari Users Group), Rats Nest.

At Midwest Gaming Classic:

1.A box of Apple // games & utils for $20. This box is overstuffed with disks. And they all work!

2. Looping for CV - $5

3. A PS1/PS2 controller adaptor for use on USB - $10.

Still can't find Tron:Solar Sailer.

Wal-Mart is clearing them out. Plain PSTVs are $20, and bundles go for $30. Note that the free game vouchers inside have expired (I'm working on getting mine honored by Sony customer service) but everything else should work fine. I'll be keeping the controller but have debated what to do with the system and memory card, as I already own a PSTV and don't really need another (and don't want to activate one under my account).

None of the Wal Marts in my area seem to have any PSTV's left. I went looking for one over the weekend. :_(

I picked up 3 N64 games over the weekend at a flea market: Wipeout 64, Lode Runner 64, and War Gods. Paid $9 for the three. I've always wanted Wipeout, and I remember hearing good things about it. War Gods was hyped so hard back in the day, and I'm sure it's terrible, but I always wanted to try it. And Lode Runner 64 looked interesting, and people seem to like it, so I snagged it.

War Gods was hyped so hard back in the day, and I'm sure it's terrible, but I always wanted to try it.

I have it. We got it shortly after we got our N64, and only played it a few times =)

It's very similar to Mortal Kombat IV, but I don't really care for MK.

$3 isn't bad.

None of the Wal Marts in my area seem to have any PSTV's left. I went looking for one over the weekend. :_(

I picked up 3 N64 games over the weekend at a flea market: Wipeout 64, Lode Runner 64, and War Gods. Paid $9 for the three. I've always wanted Wipeout, and I remember hearing good things about it. War Gods was hyped so hard back in the day, and I'm sure it's terrible, but I always wanted to try it. And Lode Runner 64 looked interesting, and people seem to like it, so I snagged it.

I bought War Gods when Blockbuster sold off their N64 stock. It actually was alright. It's hard to really standout in the Fighting genre against most of the classics but I had a good time with it. Not a bad price.

XQB12fi.jpg

Picked up Big Bird Egg Catch $2.99 and 7800 Food Fight $1.99 (mostly to encourage them to put more 2600 games out rather than on eBay or shopgoodwill site) and left the rest. No console anywhere and they had no idea about it.

I also found this:

vrufkrW.jpg

For some reason I thought I had found another 2600 game in the same Goodwill but it was just an 8-track tape.

Edited by 7800fan
  • Like 1

'80s 8-tracks are actually worth some decent money if you find the right buyer. Hard as it might be to believe, a lot of people still collect them. '80s titles in particular are hard to find, because stores for the most part were no longer selling them, but mail-order clubs like Columbia House still offered them. I see that Escape has gone for as high as $10 on eBay recently.

• Like 1

And how to test them? I haven't had any 8 track player in oh about 30 years when my parent sold their car that had 8 track deck. I have no experience in fixing player so even if I found a player, I wouldn't be able to make it work without having it eat tape or something. Also magnetic tape can be ruined if it was stored close to magnets like old speakers that aren't shielded.

That is the $64,000 question. :)

I've got a player that was a thrift store donation not too long ago. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I imagine the players are fairly resilient if they're anything like good-quality cassette players, but if the tapes are anything like late-'70s-era cassettes, getting them to play could be an uphill battle.

Holy crap moly! Are we talking 8-tracks? I see 8 track players all the time at thrift/swap meets. Fixing them usually isn't that big of a deal. Open them up, clean the heads, and replace the weak (maybe even broken) rubber belt (you can find them on ebay).

I love playing Star Wars OST on it.

You could even go nostalgic and get an original 2XL. I still have all my tapes for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Today it's kingsday. A great day with lots and lots of fleamarkets.

Usually i go to a few of them because it's the best day in the year to score great stuff in the wild.

Today no exception. I wanted to visit 2 since we are on holiday, but the weather on our island was bad, so we traveled to the other island because it was dry there.

Although there where only a few people putting stuff out because of the weather i got very lucky.

One stand had a lot of cd-i stuff, and i finally got Zelda Adventure for 1 euro. All games where a euro. Sadly arcade classics is case only. But the rest is complete.

post-5654-0-10613100-1461767344_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Today it's kingsday. A great day with lots and lots of fleamarkets.

Usually i go to a few of them because it's the best day in the year to score great stuff in the wild.

Today no exception. I wanted to visit 2 since we are on holiday, but the weather on our island was bad, so we traveled to the other island because it was dry there.

Although there where only a few people putting stuff out because of the weather i got very lucky.

One stand had a lot of cd-i stuff, and i finally got Zelda Adventure for 1 euro. All games where a euro. Sadly arcade classics is case only. But the rest is complete.

attachicon.gif20160427_143507.jpg

Incredible find! Congrats!

So, what exactly is kingsday?