IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

It depends on what your definition of "banned" is, but for all intents and purposes, the feds have made it impossible to buy Lawn Darts. Companies can't make them to sell or import them from elsewhere, stores can't carry them, and if it's anything like the Kinder Surprise situation, individuals can't even import them personally (assuming Lawn Darts are even still made elsewhere). I don't think it's illegal to own old Lawn Darts, and used and second-hand sales are probably still legal, but that's it.

In other news, I've discovered I can turn into a greedy little brat when the situation calls for it. Observe a few recent pick-ups where I volunteer:

post-6115-0-75099800-1487575492_thumb.jpg

The first Atari 8-bit cartridges to appear at the store since I've been there. And of course the first thing I thought was, "Only four? Where are the others? Where's the computer they went with? I WANT MOAR!!"

post-6115-0-75262400-1487575597_thumb.jpg

The book for arguably the most famous copy program for the Apple II, Copy II Plus. And my first thoughts were, "Where are the disks? Where's the computer? There had to be more! I WANT MOAR!!"

post-6115-0-92512200-1487575740_thumb.jpg

There is a crack in the front of the case, but that's easily replaceable, and the discs are just about mint. "Where's the manual? Where did all this person's other games go? Why can't we get another windfall like my very first day at the store? MOAR, DANGIT!!"

Then I breathed, calmed down, and decided this wasn't such a bad haul anyway. Actually there were a few other scattered PS1 bits, discs and cases pretty much randomly thrown together. I'll have what's here up for sale soon, and at least a couple of the Atari cartridges may make it into the sale thread as well.

Other interesting bits this weekend:

post-6115-0-98592000-1487576212_thumb.jpg

Now I can determine once and for all whether I like Nine Inch Nails. I couldn't stand them or pretty much any alternative back when it was all new, and listening to a coworker play The Downward Spiral in its entirety almost every weekend for a couple of years didn't help matters. But since then I've discovered, to my surprise, that a lot of the old stuff has grown on me. Tracks from Pretty Hate Machine are a lot more fun to play in the music games than I thought they'd be, and I've come to appreciate "Closer" as more than just a drunk frat vow. So I'll give these a spin and also see if The Downward Spiral as a whole has aged any better to my ears.

post-6115-0-54173300-1487576448_thumb.jpg

A random assortment of toons that my inner child demanded I buy.

And finally...

post-6115-0-77783800-1487576496_thumb.jpg

What do you get for the person who has everything and insists on paying top dollar for it? Harman Kardon music CD-R's. Yep, now you can pay the "make the RIAA happy" fee and throw in a few bucks more to get Harmon Kardon's name on the disc. All for the same quality of those discs you can buy by the barrel at Office Depot!

Don't worry, I didn't actually pay money for this thing. Trying to sell used CD-R's at the thrift store doesn't usually go over very well, so I'm giving this one a "proper" disposal.

• Like 2

You're in better shape with Final Fantasy VII than I am... I only have the case and disc 1. The other two were in my PS1 game collection when it all got lost so now I'm having to play it in emulation. (I mean, I could go buy the game again, it's not that expensive I guess...)

I liked NIN back in the day... around the Pretty Hate Machine album or so... but haven't listened to them much lately. My girlfriend saw him live several times in small clubs in Austin back in the early 90's when he was starting out.

It depends on what your definition of "banned" is, but for all intents and purposes, the feds have made it impossible to buy Lawn Darts. Companies can't make them to sell or import them from elsewhere, stores can't carry them, and if it's anything like the Kinder Surprise situation, individuals can't even import them personally (assuming Lawn Darts are even still made elsewhere).

That seems rather extreme. Next you'll be telling me that dartboards, arrows, pellet guns, kitchen knives, and scissors are all banned @_@

You're in better shape with Final Fantasy VII than I am... I only have the case and disc 1. The other two were in my PS1 game collection when it all got lost so now I'm having to play it in emulation. (I mean, I could go buy the game again, it's not that expensive I guess...)

Not anymore. I remember getting $60 a pop for GH. $70 for nice BL. Now its a $30 game at most. PSN killed the value of that game, not that I really care lol. I still have 2 versions both minty a BL and a BL "masterpiece" misprint. I remember at one point back in like 2010 or so having 5 copies in my hand at once lol. I nabbed most at yard sales for $5 or less and sold them for an instant $60.

• Like 1

That seems rather extreme. Next you'll be telling me that dartboards, arrows, pellet guns, kitchen knives, and scissors are all banned @_@

I'm not sure if you were old enough to remember the game, but the big difference between dart boards, pellet guns, and lawn darts is that with those other two the other player isn't supposed to be standing next to the target while you throw or shoot at them. Lawn darts or Jarts were made to be played like horseshoes and players stood at opposite ends near each other's target. Not that I'm agreeing with the bans, but its not the same as darts.

BTW - I played "Jarts" or Lawn Darts in the 70s at my grandpa's house. Lots of fun and no one got hurt. Steel tipped all the way baby!

Okay a few finds today, I picked up a free antique dresser at a co-worker's house so I made a few stops on the way home.

4 albums for $1 - The two Disney albums I did not have and i love Hooked on Classics. Had to pick up Urban Chipmunk too!

post-30739-0-04529100-1487637277_thumb.jpg

The PSone games, DC Crazy Taxi and the two GB games were $1 each. The PS2 and GC games were $2 each.

post-30739-0-56290800-1487637483_thumb.jpg

The Skylanders lot was $60. The arena is unopened and the lot included 4 portals. I probably overpaid but it was at a Hospice Thrift Store so I did not mind too much, I'm glad to help out.

post-30739-0-39244900-1487637890_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-45511000-1487637925_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-27472200-1487637936_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

^^^

Cool album finds! I like the Hooked on Classics series also and have I and II and a third red covered one. Can't remember if thats titled III or something like "More Hooked on Classics". I also had Urban Chipmunk as a kid and pretty sure I heard it so many times I can atill remember it. "Mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.....chipmunks........ALVIN!" Lol.

I loved Jarts as well btw. When I was a kid I thought they were so freaking fun! But we never played that stupid game some kids did where you just threw it up in the air as high as you could and then just tried not to get hit by it when it came down. We also never threw them AT each other like some kids did.

Not exactly a thrift find but still awesome, a mate of mine found this on the side of the road (it's "Hard Rubbish" in his street this week, where you put out your junk and the council come get it - if pickers don't get to it first).

16900349_10154432769646461_757413622_n.j

It apparently took a bit of cleaning and the joysticks/buttons are pretty cruddy.

• Like 3

Wow now that's a serious piece of very useful hard rubbish. I wonder what game had been in that? If there is much left to the buttons or sticks I'd toss them, not worth it probably given poor storage and age. Something like that it looks like if you left it alone is a solid choice for a 2 button + joystick arcade game. I suppose if the tools were there if you diagonally staggered it you could go 4 button with it too. That would open up almost any JAMMA game including Neo Geo if you bored out 2 more holes. It would be very much a custom job but if you did go with old original parts/custom either way is a real option. On one end you could swap out your favorite JAMMA boards, or you throw a few more holes into it, mount it right, a nice multi-arcade unit using MVS Neo Geo boards. The trick would be mounting it all and finding a screen that would work, or perhaps a PC quality (next to minimal lag vs a CRT) LCD screen in there and you'd be golden. The wood looks good from that one angle and it's in overall really solid shape I'm hoping from that one image.

I'd say go for it.

He said the wood was very sound, he was looking at buying MDF panels a while ago to make a cab but now doesn't have to the jammy bugger!

It looks like there are three button holes per player and maybe room to drill out a fourth, wouldn't be a standard layout but it'd do the job.

There is a License Sticker on it from QLD Treasury which expired in December 1992. :)

I have a feeling he may go the emulation route with it, either way i can't wait to get to play it!

I was out and about yesterday with the wife, and found myself near a antique/junk shop that I like, so we stopped in. They just changed owners, so I was expecting the worst.

And then I found these:

Zx1OTMXl.jpg

TtdhHLRl.jpg

hsA7tM4l.jpg

outpyYMl.jpg

M013Cjnl.jpg

2gpVWTTl.jpg

bRCRxJQl.jpg

ZYuxC4Fl.jpg

UV2yMFHl.jpg

07NqIzzl.jpg

I've wanted an Intellivoice Module since I picked up my Intellivision about 10 years ago. A while back, I picked up a lot of CIB games and it included Bomb Squad and "B17 BOOOOMMMMEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR" so I already have a few games for it. I was going to pick up the module on eBay along with Space Spartans recently, but I wanted to find one locally, and I kinda forgot about it. And then BAM! I found these.

Paid $22.50 total, with the sweet Fu Manchu CD to replace my copy from high school. All games are CIB, except Venture didn't come with overlays. Not sure if it even had overlays, though.

Side note: The Intellivision is soooooo cheap to collect for. I currently have 2 boxed consoles, about 10-12 boxed games, and about 5-10 more loosies, and the Intellivoice, and I think I have $50 into the whole collection. Must be those weird controllers that keep people away.

I'm not sure if you were old enough to remember the game, but the big difference between dart boards, pellet guns, and lawn darts is that with those other two the other player isn't supposed to be standing next to the target while you throw or shoot at them. Lawn darts or Jarts were made to be played like horseshoes and players stood at opposite ends near each other's target. Not that I'm agreeing with the bans, but its not the same as darts.

Like I said, we had a set, but our parents wouldn't let us play it. I didn't know you had to throw them towards each other...seems like you could just house-rule something safer.

And BTW, pellet guns are for shooting each other with. It's kind of like paintball, but obviously without the paint. I've been hit on solid bone before at close range...doesn't cut that easily, but it really stings.

• Like 1

And BTW, pellet guns are for shooting each other with. It's kind of like paintball, but obviously without the paint. I've been hit on solid bone before at close range...doesn't cut that easily, but it really stings.

Haha, I hear ya man! You pellet bun must be different than mine. I had one where you could pump it as for or as many times as you wanted. If you pumped it up enough it was nearly as powerful as a .22. It would absolutely break the skin and cause a very bad infection!

Lasky: That's not a real gun, is it Clark?
Clark: Are you kidding? This is a Magnum P.I.
Lasky: It's a BB gun!
Clark: Don't tempt me. I could put an eye out with this thing.
Lasky: You couldn't even break the skin with that thing.
Clark: Yeah I could. It could lodge in the skin and cause a very bad infection.
Edited by Mitkraft

You pellet bun must be different than mine. I had one where you could pump it as for or as many times as you wanted.

We had a BB gun like that, but the pellet guns my friends and brother all had took CO2 cartridges. They shoot plastic pellets, not metal BBs.

I can't imagine shooting someone with a BB gun, though I know people do it all the time. Heck, my friends used to shoot bottle rockets at each other >_<

My best friend and I used to have "one pump bb gun wars" on his grandfather's land. We both had Daisy Powerline 880's which can be very powerful at a full ten pumps, so that was why we limited it to one pump. No idea how fast they came out at one pump, but they still hurt pretty bad. Surprised neither of us lost an eye. :pirate:

We had a BB gun like that, but the pellet guns my friends and brother all had took CO2 cartridges. They shoot plastic pellets, not metal BBs.I can't imagine shooting someone with a BB gun, though I know people do it all the time. Heck, my friends used to shoot bottle rockets at each other >_<

Plastic pellets? Never seem those till air soft guns became popular a while back. We had the metallic mushroom shaped pellets BITD.

I still have my "toy" gun from the '80s that fires rubber bullets. Not nearly powerful enough to injure, but a direct hit can still sting like a mother. I have to wonder if those are still sold anywhere, or even legal.

Along the same lines, with the overkill that is certain Nerf guns nowadays, I wonder how long it'll be before they get regulated. :)

Picked this up for $35 today at goodwill, same one where the other n64 in early January and the pre-christmas Dreamcast popped up.

This I missed the first walk by, I blew off the busted open original PS2 blue box but I'm glad I got curious and peeked inside. I didn't rummage it much, was hoping for the best yet figured seeing the system and mario 64 I was safe.

Sadly there are no wires, and I don't have spare OEM AC Adapter or A/V cable, no shame here but likely not keeping any of it other than the N64 Jumper Pak and maybe one of the carts potentially. Aside from the N64 that's a working Konami/Logitech USB microphone there too. I'm conflicting eating the cost of the missing cables or just letting it ride as it tested out fine using my cables.

• Like 3

Dude, $35? At a Goodwill??

Check your fingers for pinpricks, I think you signed away something in blood when you weren't looking.

Also...

I still have my "toy" gun from the '80s that fires rubber bullets. Not nearly powerful enough to injure, but a direct hit can still sting like a mother. I have to wonder if those are still sold anywhere, or even legal.

This is the gun. Now that I think about it, there's obviously no way they could sell something like this today, at least not without changing the colors to day-glow orange and yellow. It's a fun little piece, and like I said, it's fairly harmless as long as you're not trying to shoot someone's eye out. But it can look menacing to anyone who doesn't know any better.