IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

On 2/9/2022 at 12:28 AM, KeeperofLindblum said:

Found a neat little gem at Goodwill...

20220208_200946.thumb.jpg.4e7b12999c74c46c77390d8803c9e57c.jpg

In fantastic condition! Only missing the remote, but it has a full carrying case that wraps around it. Only $11~

Surprisingly sharp picture all things considered, and the DVD player works on it. 

For those curious, model is EWC09D5.

20220208_201159.thumb.jpg.45771c1a9995f8b4f6a6d6a001e8936e.jpgreceived_240829014920711.thumb.jpeg.718150f8caf521e16634eef460c0331e.jpeg

I have that same plug and play joystick.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In the laundry room of my apartment building, there is an area for people to leave items that they want to share with others. Last week, I found a Legend of Zelda coffee mug:

71v9oRJV8aL._AC_SX355_.jpg71jtpyfDssL._AC_SX355_.jpg

It is not the most attractive video game collectible in my collection, but it is an official Nintendo product, and it is difficult to beat a price of free! I do not know which, if any, specific game this relates to. There is a copyright date of 2017 on the bottom. 

• Like 2

I had an apartment with the same type of laundry room table! It was probably meant for folding clothes, but it was most definitely the free stuff table. I found an original Xbox there before. It ended up having a disc tray problem, but Halo was inside, and I scored an extra s controller. 

I also found wrapping paper of dogs and cats in Santa hats that I’ve been using to wrap all manor of presents for the last 5 or so years. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a LUCKY HIT by random chance. Family said they had old tube TVs, so I took a look at them. Honestly figured it was gonna be old cheap sets, but turns out I struck unintentional gold. 

Sony Triniton KV-32FV27 with an official stand. Shelf is lacking pegs, and the glass doors fell off and broke during movement... but I'm quite happy with this get. 

PXL_20220602_154333070_MP.thumb.jpg.147a8190ea092807c641cfad0db02f23.jpg

Also a 27" Sylvania. It works well enough but only one input. I have no need for it, so I've already posted it up in a Freebies thread for local pickup. 

PXL_20220602_154354494_MP.thumb.jpg.3d35e65838f8a235f0ad5344c98cc03d.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

Well I got a LUCKY HIT by random chance. Family said they had old tube TVs, so I took a look at them. Honestly figured it was gonna be old cheap sets, but turns out I struck unintentional gold. 

Sony Triniton KV-32FV27 with an official stand. Shelf is lacking pegs, and the glass doors fell off and broke during movement... but I'm quite happy with this get. 

If you want to put the shelf back in/up - check the hardware bins at an Ace Hardware (or similar) for the shelf pegs.

Wood working stores will them too. But, they will be more expensive.

Every time anything with a peg gets moved around here, at least one ends up missing.

Or I find the pegs end up in a junk drawer and the furniture is long gone. :roll:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Local church had their mega garage sale for the first time since covid. Picked these up on their second day when everything is 50% off.

DSC00067.thumb.JPG.6cbfa3e3fd20f1cfdeef20ed0ad4cc27.JPG

DSC00068.thumb.JPG.2e6f9fc41f90e468cb82b3b4906d786b.JPG

DSC00069.thumb.JPG.2123c41c425ff8dda352af5c5a495506.JPG

Not bad for $4. All games are complete and the orange zapper has the nunchuk but no remote.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Last night in a dream, I was at a Walmart. Due to the ongoing supply chain problems and them not being able to keep the store shelves full, along with severe inflation, Walmart had decided to get into the pawn store business as a way to help customers afford to purchase food.

There in an out of the way area of the store were these shelves piled with random-dusty-used items. On the top shelf near the back, behind a pile of cables I caught a glimpse of something I recognized. It was the top of a six switch 2600 with its control levers and cartridge port.

I stretched and was barely able to grasp it with my finger tips and leverage it out from the tangle of cables. As I drew it nearer, I was surprised to find something unusual about it. The ridges in front of the cartridge port had been covered by a thin-smooth-blonde-wood deck. On the wood there were a plenitude of signatures.

I didn't recognize any of the signatures as being from celebrities. There were so many signatures. It didn't seem like the signatures of a development team either. It struck me that they must be the signatures of the people who played the console over the years.

I thought about the joy that this one console must have brought to people through the decades. It brought me joy to see it. I thought about how much the world needs joy right now and put the console back where I found it so that someone else might discover it and experience the same.

Edited by SIO2
added one word for clarity
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I kind of gave up on (lack of) good will, the stores in this area have a divide to it.  If you're talking garage sale goods, clothes, some cookware and lamps, cheap electronics you'd find at a walgreens it's fair.  But anything basically you could fence on ebay for $20 or higher, is priced as such.  Combined with the fact most around here now won't donate such goods to those stores because of that, you have to go to second hand collectible/media type stores and that's it, outside of pie in the sky on facebook/etc marketplaces.  In one respect, it's depressing, but on the other, it helps control the urge to waste time on stupid stuff too.  I used to regular many of them during the week depending on the path before 2020, I don't go out of my way at all now and even on the way it's 50/50.  I know of one left in the area that now and again gets something, decent something, and it's 50/50 they get ridiculous so there's a sliver of care there. ;)  And that is including movies, anything typically fairly good again second hand stores, they get the garage sale left overs and the few that aren't in the glass cases too. ?

I used to post a lot in here, but it got to where I felt like I kept it kind of going, I've had some zingers just in this month alone, for instance, game exchange mismarked a black box Donkey KOng all nice in the box for the orange classics price ($45) so yeah, I grabbed it. :D  A week earlier, and I don't even hunt NES anymore, I got Rescue Rangers 2 immaculate cart for $200, most by far I've paid outright for a game, but the last time it was that (hah) cheap was 2014 and before (rolls for $300-330 pre-virus, had no effect on it.) so I snapped that out of a vintage toy mall.  Next door guy was closing got the gauntlet + snes games for $40 which was more than fair.

dk-nes-blackbox1.thumb.JPG.0052a0dd4b1d8cf65946fb57a31e2aad.JPG

july24-cndrr2l.thumb.JPG.e108f243d84818e02cbbef799acf3d22.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Been a while since I posted here; I've all but stopped collecting because I already have a ton of stuff and prices have gone insane. But when opportunity knocks... 

14TYqMal.jpg

I was at the town dump today dropping off some stuff, and I see a familiar black box sitting next to one of the bins. Yup, it was an early Xbox One with the Kinect. People leave and take stuff in front of the bins, and no one wanted this, so I grabbed it.

I've had one for years, but I never had the Kinect, so it's nice to finally have that. I plugged it in with a known good power supply, and it powers on for a second and shuts off. That's likely why it's there. If I can get it to work easily, I'll turn it into an emulation machine for the living room. If it's complete junk, the place where I got it from has a great return policy. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've had this off/on again fb marketplace discussion with this guy across town at the college, he had what you see below (not the NES game) and originally had it for $175.  I originally asked if he'd part it out, wanted just PSC and I haven't been able to find an OEM pouch ever, at least without eating it ($40+) online.  He was fine, but long story short he's moving universities, was leaving in a week, and he forgot the charger too, and I got what you see there for $20 (PSC is a $40 game these days) so a killer deal.  Super C was from a local small business I'm friendly with the owner there, got it for $25 so all around good for a bit of a detour.

aug-2-22finds.thumb.jpg.86bc8bb17ab6905d1c470ecfb14553d7.jpg

• Like 3

Been a while since I have posted around here but figured this was the perfect thing show back up here with. Picked this up off Facebook Marketplace for $60 today. Unfortunately the screen is busted but it does turn on and plays music from the included copy of Klax. I am bummed out about the screen damage but since I got it cheap enough. It still makes financial sense to fix it. Only other things wrong with it is that I am missing the cartridge door and one screw.

20220807_123358.jpg

20220807_123405.jpg

• Like 3

@nightwheel Go for it.  I did a very fast peek and I think you can get a new modern color drop in LCD for that maybe around $60 or so.  Then the door those are 3D printed, I'm sure you can find one someone doesn't do a sloppy job on that color/texture matches nicely.  Beyond that, you could look to stoneagegamer.com or bennvenn.com and find a flash kit for that thing and be set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

vDPSiL3m.jpg

(big size)

PS3 games at the thrift shop. Destiny's probably a pretty late release.  And while everybody loved the first motorstorm, this 3rd one failed to initially grab me with its demo BITD. But now that I know I'm not ever getting a better one (thanks, sony...) I might as well jump in and play the rest.

$8 is the standard price for all laptops at this thrift store--I didn't think that also included Macs, but yesterday there was one.  This one's a Powerbook G4 with 512mb ram.

I really just wanted it for the HDD, so I could see what people who think they're better than me do with their time. But that's dead in both the system and my dock. :(  I have a ton of similar drives as donors, but there are a lot of 'ifs' for swapping drive boards.

I swapped a random 40gb drive in, but their recovery disk doesn't see it, and at this point I think it's time to put the system on palliative care vs wasting more time wrenching on it. Two things I did like about tearing down my first mac laptop: 1) while it used torx in an annoying variety of lengths and heads, it did at least only require one torx driver, the T8 2) the keyboard comes out in a really neat/clean way with two clips on top.  Overall not the nightmare to get into that I was expecting.  I think I've still had my $8 worth of fun

Edit: actually I missed the disk utility, and now macOS currently installing.  Potentially I could be playing some Marathon some time in here.

fK3ywH2m.jpg KClcilHm.jpg

(big size) (big size)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since I had some vacation time, I thought I would go to some garage sales and thrift shops.

On Saturday, I went to one garage sale and picked up Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree for the Wii for $1, and the Bradygames guide for Grand Theft Auto V for $2.

And at another sale on the block I live on, I picked up Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (ordinary GameStop cover), also for $1. That sale also had PS2 games for $1, but nothing but sports games.

Sunday, I went to a thrift shop and got Lair for PS3 for $3, the price for any game in the store.

Today, I went to another store and got New Carnival Games for Wii, Hitman: Absolution for PS3, & Darksiders II for PS3, plus 2 DVDs and a movie on Blu-ray. From the price lists posted ($3.29 for Wii games, $2.99 Blu-ray, $1.99 DVDs, and I think $2.99 for games for PS2/PS3/Xbox), I thought the games and movies together would be a little over $16. But there was some kind of discount today, and the total, before tax, came to $1.98. That would make the games at that store 33 cents each!

20220906_154236.jpg

Edited by snorlaxnut
  • Like 2

Was given a random basement box by my wife's friend, she just wanted it out of the house and her husband could not stand to see it just go to dump. When my wife brought it home I discovered I had been given...

SNES:

Fire Striker (!)
Mario Paint and Mouse and Pad
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Link to the Past
SFII Turbo

And a TOTALLY busted SNES console that IS going to the dump (sorry man)

NES:
Super Mario/Track and Field/Duck Hunt
SMB 2
Win Lose or Draw
Solstice
a few other randos

AND A full Atari 2600 sixer set up (console, PS, controllers, paddle controllers). I haven't cleaned this out yet as judging by the condition I expect....bugs inside. But the SNES/NES games I cleaned up. Most I had but Fire Striker and SMB 2 (which somehow I didn't have) were real nice additions. SMW I was able to upgrade from my toasty label. Was a nice afternoon surprise.

• Like 3

That’s a real shame that this dude had to get rid of his stuff, but from the looks of it, he didn’t take care of (and therefore use) any of it. I mean, possible bugs?...grosssssss. And I figure you don’t mean the digital kind haha. Well, for what’s salvageable, your win. Mario Paint with mouse and pad seems like a win to me 👍🏻

9 hours ago, fakecortex said:

That’s a real shame that this dude had to get rid of his stuff, but from the looks of it, he didn’t take care of (and therefore use) any of it. I mean, possible bugs?...grosssssss. And I figure you don’t mean the digital kind haha. Well, for what’s salvageable, your win. Mario Paint with mouse and pad seems like a win to me 👍🏻

Yeah judging by the outside and the smell....at least moths. I am hoping not cockroaches. In my experience though, 2600s are pretty tough! It can be saved I bet.

The Mario Paint mouse oddly still had the a red cover for the ball, to keep dust out (I had no idea what it was at first). Funny considering how dusty everything was. He had tons of manuals and game posters too, fun to flip through.

• Like 1

@GoldenWheels On the Nintendo side, due to a few specifics, freebie or not for quality you made out like a bandit and thankfully that cap was on that mouse so the rollers inside wouldn't get gross given how it was stored.  Mario Paint is a treasure to use, and given the use of modern media devices you could very easily record, picture, anything using the iphone or android apps given since it has so little storage space (and VCRs SUCK.)  Firestarter is a real grab, oddball game but definitely worth the attempt, but really that whole selection of SNES stuff is a little mini treasure, not a bad title at all, quite the opposite.  Also wiki it, that mouse has a lot of use as it wasn't some half dozen experiment that quietly got dropped, lots of quality titles use it or improve controls in other titles immensely with it (like Civilization's port.)

How busted is busted with the SNES?  Did it have the hookups and controllers with it and just won't work, no power?  It would be an interesting thing to try and repair to say the least, I mean, I wouldn't trash it.

33 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@GoldenWheels On the Nintendo side, due to a few specifics, freebie or not for quality you made out like a bandit and thankfully that cap was on that mouse so the rollers inside wouldn't get gross given how it was stored.  Mario Paint is a treasure to use, and given the use of modern media devices you could very easily record, picture, anything using the iphone or android apps given since it has so little storage space (and VCRs SUCK.)  Firestarter is a real grab, oddball game but definitely worth the attempt, but really that whole selection of SNES stuff is a little mini treasure, not a bad title at all, quite the opposite.  Also wiki it, that mouse has a lot of use as it wasn't some half dozen experiment that quietly got dropped, lots of quality titles use it or improve controls in other titles immensely with it (like Civilization's port.)

How busted is busted with the SNES?  Did it have the hookups and controllers with it and just won't work, no power?  It would be an interesting thing to try and repair to say the least, I mean, I wouldn't trash it.

The poor snes had a smashed bottom with most screw bosses broken, and the top was only "on" on two separate chunks. Was also FULL of dust and random bug dirt. I mean it looked like they took a hammer to it and so I didn't even try to power it up (didn't come with a PS but I could have used my SNES  set up gear). I looked on Ebay for a shell (even a yellowed one) as I hate to waste anything and random shell PIECES were going to $40+ bucks. So I left it on the dump "trade" table with a controller....if somebody wants to fix it, they can give it a shot!

As an Atari AND paddle game mark, I have really enjoyed Fire Striker. Made it to (I think) the final boss the first night. He had even kept the poster from Fire Striker that shows that you can do 4 player with the multi tap. I had never even heard of this game!

Teasingly to me, he had a FInal Fantasy III SNES manual, but the cart wasn't in the box. I may ask to check his basement! XD

Well if it's not actually dead, there are new shells they sell today, see through and others, it could just get housed in something new if the core parts aren't broken or destroyed.  Maybe it suffered a drop a drop where more fell on it too to be doubly smashed.

Good job on Firestriker, it's not an easy game by any means unless you're really in tune with that style of play, then maybe it is?  That is a tease, but even if not, that FF3 manual and box have considerable value, adding a game would be a really wise move if you don't own it already, but did it also have the FF3 poster/map?

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well if it's not actually dead, there are new shells they sell today, see through and others, it could just get housed in something new if the core parts aren't broken or destroyed.  Maybe it suffered a drop a drop where more fell on it too to be doubly smashed.

Good job on Firestriker, it's not an easy game by any means unless you're really in tune with that style of play, then maybe it is?  That is a tease, but even if not, that FF3 manual and box have considerable value, adding a game would be a really wise move if you don't own it already, but did it also have the FF3 poster/map?

I think it may have...he had clearly been a insert/manual keeper. I'll check again tonight. I know there was SOME kind of FF map in there but it could have been for Mystic Quest.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...