IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I feel offended at the misspelling of dragon as "dargon" lol

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

@Silverfleet Wow awesome.  I love small multicarts like that, any chance you'd let it go?  That's such a fun selection of stuff there, even that turd of a SF2 clone.  I have one too, got it from fcgamer over there in Taiwan it's called Street FIghter III on the cart itself, but it's the known best of a worst situation thing as it actually has all the characters and their moves and works relatively well, it's not a dumpster fire so it's fun enough to bother with casually.  That one there is one of the others.  I used to have Mitsume ga Tooru (3 eye man) there and I really like that game, it's a fun one, a solid platformer run n gun type game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a Samsung 910MP LCD monitor for ten bucks. I almost didn't buy it until I saw the SCART socket on the back. It even has a euro antenna jack. Main thing wrong with it is it's missing the stand, but at least it has VESA holes in back. I don't have much in the way of SCART sources, but I think I have a euro-SNES with the appropriate cable to try on it. And it wasn't quite ten bucks... on a previous visit I saw that the thrift store had a 30% senior discount on Tuesdays for the absurdly low age of 55, and that's why I went today. It was my first senior discount ever.

• Like 3

Found a Toshiba 27AF42 TV at the dump today. I have a 27 WEGA, a 32 WEGA, and I 20 inch JVC I'art, but I just couldn't let this thing go. Dual S vid on the back, component, clean af on the outside. No cracks or stains.

Brought it home but won't fire it up until I am sure it is moisture free inside...pretty wet outside in CT right now....now where do I store it....

• Like 3

On 10/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, Tanooki said:

This place needs to be resurrected, so how about a couple posts?

The first tracks back to October 9th, yeah I didn't bother.  And it's a mix as you can see.  The Micro was a buy off online (private forum) for $95, a good deal given the OEM power alone is $40 these days and original plates are $20+, I like the micro, good to have an extra and I keep extras.  The three games below it, a friend I have who I help with reselling stuff and collecting gave me those.  The DK Land was a second hand store for $10, I got hte box now it's complete in reverse.  Then that EVO, that was a trade, another micro I had to a local along with something else, yes the box isn't real, I don't care, the game is.  And finally the 4th time I've seen one of those in nearly 10 years around here, shows up at the half price just up the street, it was the day I got those GB games for helping the friend out.  I got there first, and SHOCK was at the counter, only at $150 too, which some may think is a lot, it's not, even when it had one eye not working, see the reason being is the extra they didn't realize.  The AC power tap+adapter combo sells for $100 online now, so $50 complete VB.  It's a 2nd I have one.  I didn't like it was dead, despite being 3 years, I cracked it open and solder fixed it.  As it sits thats a $300-400 value console.

10-9-vb-evo-more.JPG

I had a micro.  I should not of sold it.  But I still have a purple see through gameboy color with the original box.

That, for the time being is the one use of a CRT at all anymore, light guns.  The gap is closing, there are projects in the works that should come to term hopefully sooner than later on that end.

And yes, as silly as they are, even perhaps depending on hands/age uncomfortable too, the micro is something to hold onto.  It has some uses, and if you're not vanilla, have a flash kit, you can get around the stupid omission of GB/GBC games through the omega(or ed) as both natively run goomba color to cover that end.

Well the CRT ended up being toast....no power at all. Damn shame given the outside condition. Back to the table it goes! I put a note on it for the next retro gamer with discerning taste.

CRTs have more than one use....amazingly all my non light gun games still work on them, for instance. I know because I played the hell out of some Colecovision last night (been on a bit of a CV kick).

Sure, for someone without the luxury of much space, or someone not fit to move one, they're not an ideal option. But that hardly makes it a uni-tool. There's even pluses to them like...not having to work with various software, filters, and scanline options to make the image look like it would have BITD...it just does that, cuz that is how it would have looked BITD. Plug and play baby!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Eh luck then as my original hardware likes my tv and the one before it too just fine, and now using HDMI on everything I do have it's instantly excellent so the only loss is the light gun.

That said, this is a finds/thrift thread and I had a cheap whopper of a pick up yesterday over the river.

The bag, and the two manuals below it, check that price tag. :)  They were back to back, MM facing forward.  At first thought it was #1, then realized it was #3 and I snapped that bag off the wall immediately, yes, the fool had it on an open wall on a metal peg just sitting there in the open and no one realized it, must have, because I can't see how this wouldn't have been snatched by some wanker since there was no camera in that area of the store.  Meant to be I guess.

MMX3 was utterly thrashed, nearly ripped in half cover and wasn't attached either, written all over the inside rear space with codes in black ink, wear, hole in the cover too.  I decided to do something trigger worthy and did some touchup, repair, and damage mitigation to it because it didn't need to completely fall apart as the interior pages are great still.  It had a small rental sticker on the front, and I (non-sharpie) black ink touched up the fold that was split, then did some clear taping full width inside, half width outside to seal the damage.  Did a band-aid of white paper over some black ink that wouldn't come off right where the hole was and a small bit of tape edge around it (like a band-aid) then colorized the paper to match the black exterior, and a tiny tape patch over the outside where I did this to seal both ends.  TOok probably an hour between working on that and using some acetone on a q-tip to eat some ink, then a lot of work with a white art eraser to get the inside cleaned up too.  THere was no way I was going to let this one rot, an immaculate manual (MMX3) sells for $500+, even beat up cover this thing is worth probably 100x what I had into it minimum ($1.50 per manual, $3 on the tag!!)  The only wear on Lufia is just a bit of cover wear, inside is great, now I have a reason no to drag ass recovering that cart as I used to own it. 😕

mmx3-lufia2manuals-silentmobius.thumb.jpg.f5ce53dc08a8d57d74147f150ad1475c.jpg

mmx3before1.jpg

mmx3before2.jpg

mmx3cleanup-inside.jpg

• Like 3

IMG_20221231_153542.thumb.jpg.5e4ee31abd04334c06c11726e6979ea9.jpgIMG_20221225_100343.thumb.jpg.3b3e1631e944fdc59c9ec7c787c9902c.jpg

Some end of the year finds, I get to see if the new Yoshi games are actually worth playing or not.

Kinda cheating with the second picture because only the calculator and electronics kit were a thrift find, everything else was game store pickups or a christmas present in the case of the star and aeropress...

• Like 4

While buying some movies a couple days ago at my local Goodwill, I found a nice amount of PS3 games. Final price after 25% off for 10 or more games/DVDs/CDs: $2.99 each.

And I found a pink PS3 controller for $4.99.

image.jpeg

Edited by snorlaxnut
  • Like 1

Well, some of it is kind of gaming related:

• Big find is a NIB intel compute stick. Red tags were half off, so it's $12.50.

32gb storage, 2gb ram, quad-core atom, win 8.1--those sound like perfectly fine gaming specs to me. It'll run hydro thunder,  maybe jamestown or torchlight. It's probably even overkill for dosbox, etc.  That's assuming this thing isn't caged into running apps from the m$ store, or something. I'd occasionally wanted to play with one of these, but tbh, I keep forgetting they exist.

• $13 for a whole sack of leap pad carts--I'm pretty sure I've got at least one of those around somewhere in the 'drawer of edutainment'
  • $8 & $10 for the Madame Alexander dolls

(embiggen)

pULQfS6m.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I found Donkey Kong Jr. Math today. Pretty sure the seller had no clue what it was since it was out in the open in a pile of crap. I dont know exactly how much I paid since I did a bundle deal with a bunch of others but I know I paid a fraction of what it typically seems to be going for. No clue if it works or not, but it was in good shape

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dudeguy said:

I found Donkey Kong Jr. Math today. Pretty sure the seller had no clue what it was since it was out in the open in a pile of crap. I dont know exactly how much I paid since I did a bundle deal with a bunch of others but I know I paid a fraction of what it typically seems to be going for. No clue if it works or not, but it was in good shape

Well there's an easy horrific way.  Take price /(divided by) total games.  Then take that and go look the value up and you'll know how much you robbed the guy. ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well there's an easy horrific way.  Take price /(divided by) total games.  Then take that and go look the value up and you'll know how much you robbed the guy. ;)

Same seller sold me a fake Pokemon Ruby and didnt realize it til I got home. Thing looked legit, had the word Nintendo on the PCB, label looked clean, nothing looked off about it whatsoever, even had what looked like the right copyright date on the PCB, tri-wing screw, etc. Fired it up, didnt work.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, dudeguy said:

Same seller sold me a fake Pokemon Ruby and didnt realize it til I got home. Thing looked legit, had the word Nintendo on the PCB, label looked clean, nothing looked off about it whatsoever, even had what looked like the right copyright date on the PCB, tri-wing screw, etc. Fired it up, didnt work.

Well that's shitty, wonder if they knew or was a lazy reseller who just turns and burns.

Are you 100% sure it was fake, got a picture I can look at of the front/back of the shell?  I could point out any tell as I'm up on it, even the newest scammy ones.

The way I figure I'd probably assume they got burned and turned it around on someone else to get out from under it quietly, so any solid win you got was compensation.

And with that I usually seem at times to be the one who posts here, so nice to see something new.  I figure I could share some luck I had today, I paid up a bit given the toys below are from goodwill, but...it's still a win if not a big one I think (not looked hard enough yet.)  Those are all original first run Star Wars Kenner figures, $65 for them in the center there, and yes Han gets to shoot first as the blaster was included, and the other gun I have a storm trooper who will appreciate it.  They're all 1977 figures where applies as Yoda was 80 and Palpatine was 84 when those popped up.  I already had more they're all originals I got at a flea market maybe 5-7 years ago for $40 total which I only remember as it was a steal. :)  I added another image I did for myself below if you're curious about that too.

The anime I recently got since a week back at most, the top left I saw at a ripoff rate so to make the point I paid under value with a straight ebay bin $15 shipped on it, the top right and black below were today local for $15.  Ocean Waves was a missing Ghibli movie amazon delivered it two days ago.  About a week back got the Tezuka movie down there for $10 and $20 for the entire Guyver remaster series there.

2-1to5finds.thumb.jpg.06ce2b45cefa331bb7880273e0269dc0.jpg

starwars77-84.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

here's the Pokemon Ruby. I watched a Youtube video and I am 100% sure its fake. The vendors where I'm at knowingly sell fake games and are pretty open about it, it's just that most of the buyers dont care. I also got a Rockman World 2 GB cart with a fake label (fake cart as well? idk yet) and Super Mario Advance with fake label, likely fake cart too. I guess Im not up to speed on my counterfeit games.

16756340567572979343637743572509.jpg

16756340918405798388602563201494.jpg

16756341189217154870922684623635.jpg

Edited by dudeguy

Totally fake, but I wanted to know because I knew you'd likely be bright enough to realize it, yet I wanted to see if the seller had any wiggle room for not being a con artist.

100% fake, and easily identifiable by a noob seller.
- Pinhole vias through the pins
- Rear, upper left side PCB should have 4 shiny rectangles
- Plastic molding is off, doesn't have the same look of an original
- Sticker looks little like the original with font and color, background style and metallic sheen all bogus
- PCB etching I can see is off as well

That's just some of it, ebay is a solid resource enough to see the details --https://www.ebay.com/itm/174034852544

On 2/5/2023 at 4:41 PM, Tanooki said:

starwars77-84.jpg

How many kids must have cut off the thin "tip" from the light sabers back in the day?  I always thought they were stupid as well.  But at least you've got the replacements!

Pic of my only two remaining Kenner figures.......the classic struggle of father and son

IMG_20230208_085348.jpg

• Haha 1

@TeddyBear89 Yeah no doubt.  I only had a few random figures in the day like the 1980 or 84 X-Wing with Luke and R2, Wicket, not much else, I think Vader as well.  What you see there as I said were found all within the last 7 years at two points in time.

I went back to the store regretting leaving a few of them there, walked away with 5 more.  Given what they were asking looks to be just south of 1/2 what people pay on ebay for them cumulatively I don't feel too bad about it.

Here's an updated image.

You can see now there's the royal guard, leia, and the three aliens over on the right and a couple more random accessories too.

starwars77-84.thumb.jpg.d2aa29356c0bf24c1a78363fb920e2d9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...