IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I didn't find anything much today. Bought Kid Chameleon for the Sega Genesis (although the cart inside the box says Sega Mega Drive), $2.49. And I picked up some random junk at a thrift, like The Palm Springs Open and The Emperor's New Clothes (shrinkwrapped) for the Philips CD-i, $2.98 each. Paperboy for the NES, 99¢. And Pocket Billiards for the Odyssey2, $4.95. And an audio CD called Science Fiction Movie Themes (cheesy synthesizer remakes of original movie songs) for $1.49.

Quick edit: I just listened to a few of the songs on the CD. Wow, do they suck. I mean, they suck like a black hole. If you remember the old TV show Buck Rogers, the crappy disco music they used to play on the show as 'modern 25th century music', this music is in the same vein, but far crappier. In fact, I have to say that it might be the worst cover songs ever created. Now I realise why the CD ended up in a thrift store.

Edited by SteveW

Went to GameXchange again today--this one on the south side of town.

I was looking for a Pole Position II cart 'cause someone had asked for one here.

This is the conversation that took place.

"Any titles in particular you're looking for?"

"Yeah, Xante's Alien and Atlantis II."

The fellow whipped out theis box from behind the counter, which contained a second PP2, plus Solar Fox and MASH. He let me mix and match two sets of five for $15.

I wound up with Megamania, Sears picture label Pac Man, Kaboom!, and a few others.

At the second GameXchange (Edmond, OK), I told them I was looking for Survival Island and Atlantis II. I came home with Spider Fighter and Vanguard. Hmph. Not worht nearly getting arrested for racing up there just before they closed.

They have two CX-40's for sale, though.

Not a thrift find. Added 27 more sega gensis carts. ALl but 2 with boxes and some with manuals. Local video store was closing out genesis, snes, n64. Plus got tons and tons of those clear plastic cases. Like two boxes and a big black trash bag full. Cleaning labels off is interesting. ANyway 50.00 and basicly doubled my sega genesis cart collection. Like above 80 carts now. Can't wait until I hit 100. Then again I could count the sega cd's I got too. Was going to pick up his snes games 25 or so in all. But some other things came up. So I'm not sure. At one time he had all of the n64 games except for 2.

Later,

ussexplorer

Bought yesterday some great stuff.

For 2 euro i bought a Radiofin tele-sports III boxed with gamecart.

For 2,50 euro a Atari 800xe with 11 game-carts.

For 15 euro a Snes in a portable box. You can put the snes, with 2 controllers and 8 games in it, to play you don't have to take the snes out, because there are hole in the top and back where you can put the cables in. It came with 6 games and a super gameboy.

For 20 euro a N64 with 2 games.

post-5654-1124631361_thumb.jpg

post-5654-1124631393_thumb.jpg

I found this "stuff" this past weekend at two area GW's:

N64 Console - $4.99 (works)

Sega Genesis 2 Console - $3.99 (had broken power jack - resoldered it - gets power now)

Sega Game Gear AC adapter - $0.59 (works for Genesis 2)

Sega 3-button controller - $1.99

NES controller - $0.99

Atari CX24 proline - $1.99

Not bad for about $15 bucks + tax of course. I usually find the consoles mixed in with the telephone answering machines and the controllers in a bin with old cheap cameras or sometimes with the used (yuck) curling irons.

I've seen the systems they sell in the glass case that are complete for $20-$30 bucks, those apparently come with a 10-day warranty. The cheapees you have to hunt for don't, they are as-is according to the cashier anyway.

post-7533-1124762274_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prodos8

On Aug. 9th, my husband hit the jackpot at the thrifts and found a NES Monster in my Pocket in a near mint box with instructions for $1 at Salvation Army, a VB Mario Clash for $4 at Goodwill, and an SNES WWF Raw at Goodwill for $2 all for me! Isn't he a nice guy? There's nothing like coming home from work to find vintage video games. He also found a Commodore 64 and 1541 disc drive at Salvation Army for himself. Good times :D

On Aug. 9th, my husband hit the jackpot at the thrifts and found a NES Monster in my Pocket in a near mint box with instructions for $1 at Salvation Army, a VB Mario Clash for $4 at Goodwill, and an SNES WWF Raw at Goodwill for $2 all for me!  Isn't he a nice guy?  There's nothing like coming home from work to find vintage video games.  He also found a Commodore 64 and  1541 disc drive at Salvation Army for himself.  Good times  :D

917974[/snapback]

allright that rocks Jen.. you got a keeper there!.. personaly.. virtually every nintendo I have.. I got for the wife just so she can play zelda.. I got the VB for me ($15 complete!) and introduced her to it.. but she didn't get fully into it on account she has a bad stigmatism or whatever it is when theres a dead spot in ones vision.. lets face it.. if you get headaches off of VB with good vision..this things going to be MURDER if you got that problem.. not to mention..theres not a zelda title for it :ponder:

but isn't it nice to have a spouce that not only puts up with the weirdness.. but also encourages it?

I've kind of been out of gaming lately, had a lot of other things going on... Yesterday on the way home from work I hit a few thrifts just for the hell of it and found a big ol' box of mixed 2600 and 7800 games, all CIB. No price was marked so I asked the manager, expecting him to say something like $5 - $10 each. Nope! 99¢. I couldn't pass on a deal like that, so for $34 and change I came home with 35 boxed games. Not too shabby. Quite a few R4s in there too.

My best weekend of the year. Here's what I got.

Genesis:

CIB system complete

CIB controller

CIB Game Genie

Games:

CIB Pac-Mania

CIB Ms. Pac-Man

CIB Sonic and Knuckles

CIB Bubsy

CIB Fantasia

CIB Alladin

CIB Sonic 2

GameGear:

System with rechargeable power pack and AC adapter

Games:

Columns

Sonic Chaos

Sonic

Super Space Invaders

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

TI 99/4A:

System with all connectors and Joysticks

Speech Synthesizer

Games:

TI Invaders

Donkey Kong

Various manuals for other games

Colecovision:

System with all connectors

Expansion module #1

Games:

Donkey Kong

Mouse Trap

Mr. Do!

Atari:

6 joysticks

Set of paddles

Touch pad

Heavy Sixer AC adapter and normal AC adapter

Games:

Asteroids

Defender

Combat

Space invaders

Boxed Pac-Man

Boxed Video Chess

Boxed Telegames Target fun

Gatefold Telegames Pong Sports

Gatefold Telegames Speedway II

NES:

Two controllers, Zapper, AC supply, and RF

Games:

Win, Lose, or Draw

Rad Racer

Pong consoles:

Boxed Video Olympiad Colorama

Boxed Coleco Telstar Colormatic

Other:

Oddesey controller

13" Sony Trinitron TV w/ remote

This big trunkload of stuff all from garage sales cost than a new Xbox or PS2 game, i.e. under $50. Great Thrifting Friday. Here's a pic of the bulk of the stuff.

Edited by Wester

My best weekend of the year. Here's what I got.  This big trunkload of stuff all from garage sales cost than a new Xbox or PS2 game, i.e. under $50. Great Thrifting Friday. Here's a pic of the bulk of the stuff.

919644[/snapback]

What a weekend! I did pretty good this weekend too, although not that good. Today my husband and I hit 10 thrift stores and 1 Game X-Change (a record for us). Here's a list of the finds:

Bargain Thrift - S. OKC

Wall-mountable Laserline black plastic 90 CD holder (will be used for Dreamcast and computer games) $2

N64 console with expansion pack and power supply $1.50

N64 Gameboy Reader $1.50

Mary's Swap Meet - S. OKC

Atari 2600 Pitfall 2 $2

NES Yo! Noid $3

For the Children Thrift - S. OKC

Atari 2600 Dark Chambers $1

10 Floppy discs for C64 $1.50

Salvation Army - Norman

Sega Genesis Foreman for Real w/ box no instructions $2

Sega Saturn Fighters Megamix import $2

Sega Saturn U.R.A. Ultimate Revenge Attack import $2

That's all the game-related stuff although we also picked up 3 records, 3 gnomes in need of repainting, a Scrabble crossword/dominoes game, and a Fire King Jadeite salad bowl.

Found a first-run "beige" Macintosh G3 system today. Either 233MHz or 266MHz, 4GB hard drive, 192MB memory, built-in A/V inputs and outputs, internal ZIP drive, and somebody was even nice enough to add a PCI USB card. $35, not too shabby. Nothing incriminating on the hard drive, alas. :)

I also found some TG16 CD games and a 3D0 game recently. I don't actually own these systems, so they don't do me any good, but I figured somebody around here might be interested. They're in my trade list now.

Found an N64 controller that's tagged for EA Sports at a sidewalk sale. It's all rubberized and included what is either the memory card, rumble pack, or both (I can't really tell). Scored for the princely sum of 50 cents.

I also got a buttload (that would be about 70) white metal Doctor Who miniatures. These were put out just a few years ago by a company called Harlequinn miniatures, and were pretty expensive per piece - like $10 each. I got the whole batch for $30. Now I just need a really long and really skinny display shelf. :)

Edited by gulag picture radio

I got this today... I think I did ok... probably the most I've ever spent on a game system or old computer at a thrift...but I don't think I did too bad.

Escape for Monkey Island for Mac OS: $2.99

Super Advantage pad for SNES: $3.99

Hulk game box and manual(no game inside...I can get it loose) 20 cents

RoadRash for Genesis: $2

Atari 130XE in box with one serial? cable and a printer interface: $21

I don't really know if the Atari computer works or not.... The last Atari computer I found I ended up selling without ever trying it... afterward I ended up regreting that.... so now I have another....later model...one so... I guess that leaves me needing a power supply and a disk drive... and maybe some actual games/software... I have an extra C64 monitor cable.... I wonder if they use the same connector and pinout?

post-210-1125377978_thumb.jpg

I believe the Atari 130XE and the Commodore 64 both have the same monitor connectors, but not the same pinouts. It's slightly different. I have an old TI Home Computer universal monitor cable (3 RCA plugs on the end) that's also compatible with the Atari 8-bits and the C64.

Yesterday, I bought a baggie with Star Raiders, Video Pinball, Air Sea Battle, E.T. (I actually don't have an E.T. in my collection!) and Ms. Pac-Man for the Atari 2600, for $4.99.

Three unopened 10-pack boxes of DS/DD floppy disks, $1 each.

A Virtual Boy controller, $3.

A brand new, unopened Nintendo DS AC adapter, $1.48 (!). I don't even have a DS, and I have no intention of picking one up anytime soon, but I couldn't pass it up for a buck and a half.

At the Goodwill I bought the Virtual Boy controller at, they had accessories for a bunch of different videogame consoles, but not the games or consoles themselves. They had the VB controller, a Panasonic 3DO controller, and a plastic CD carrying case that came with the TurboGraphix-16. That usually means that the good stuff was sold off before I got there, and I only got to see the junk left over. :sad:

Found a Commodore power supply for $2.50, a bit pricey for a thrift store, but worth the money just the same (assuming it works).

Here's the kicker, though: It's not a C-64 or VIC-20 power supply, nor does it fit the 1541-II disk drive, but otherwise it is the same shape as those (circular, not square like the Amiga and Plus/4 adapters). The model number is DV-512. It has four pins: one ground, one 9V AC 9VA, two 5V DC 8.5W. Google yielded nothing informative.

Anybody know what this thing powers?

Heya Figgler - you got a tremendous deal on the DOnkey Kong junior game. I've got the same one that i bought for about the money in '89! It was probably one of my earliest thrift finds, and even though I could have sold it for some nice money in the past, it's just too fun of a game.

Skunkworx, about your power supply, Commodore used a similar power supply for some of their later floppy drives, likr their slim line 1541, or their 3.5" floppy drive. I don't know too much about the Commodore stuff, I just remember buying an obscure PSU like the one that you found, and then months later finding the equally obscure thing it powered. :)