IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Found a neat Game Gear set today.  It came with the console, power supply, battery pack, screen magnifier, four games with their instruction manuals (Jurassic Park, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Taz-Mania, and The Majors - Pro Baseball), and an official Sega Game Gear carrying case to put it all in.  I didn't exactly get it for a steal; Goodwill made me part with $50 + tax for it.  While that is definitely on the steep side, I figured the odds were pretty low that I'd find a set like this again.  I think the carrying case is quite cool, and it goes nicely with my Atari Lynx case.  I also have to say that the screen magnifier, despite looking rather shoddy, works very well.  I can actually make out what's on the screen now!

The Game Gear itself needs a little work.  It looks like somebody spilled something on the buttons, and now the start button doesn't work.  Is that bolt on the cartridge port a standard bolt, or something priopretary?  I find it annoying they would use standard screws for every hole except one.

933628[/snapback]

It's proprietary. Once you get it out, leave it. I ran into that garbage with my Nintendo 64.

Anyhow, do remember that there's close to a thousand volts running around within the Game Gear. It converts battery power to that to light the display, and some is retained in a capacitor.

Another thing--be careful with the screen. I think there's two felt thingys that run along its sides. Any rips or separation from the glass part will give you a $50 paperweight, as will any impact to it at all.

I think you're gonna have to pull the mainboard out of the 'gear to clean the buttons out. The display circuitry is all on the same side as the display itself. It's been a long time since I tore one down, but I think the display is loose from the casing and the mainboard.

Put simple, that proprietary screw is there for a good reason. Open the 'gear at the risk of it never working again.

Personally I'd clean everything out with soap and water. If necessary, I'd run it under water and then let it dry for a few days.

• Like 1

You can find bits and full screw drivers for security screws on ebay... I got mine from electric quarter He even has a table in all his auctions for security bits/screwdrivers that lists most of the systems/cartridges the bits are good for so you know it's the right one or not.

The other option is to drill it out... but that's just reckless.

shadow460, consider me warned. I will be very careful taking this thing apart, and if I botch something, I'll blame only myself. I appreciate the heads-up.

SuerPsycho, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I wouldn't want to just drill that screw out, so I'll definitely be buying those bits.

Thanks for the replies, y'all, they were most helpful.

I had an unusual find on my last thrift trip. I found one of the earlier Playstations that had actual RCA jacks for Audio and video output.... at $9.99 I was considering picking it up despite already having one working Playstation since it'd be nice to not need a proprietary AV cable. However, on further investigation I found that the space where the laser and it's associated mechanism goes to be mysteriously vacant. So I passed.

This weeks (so far) thrift finds:

Ascii Stick PS - $5

Dreamcast Console (bare) - $3

N64 Red Controller- $3

That Ascii Stick PS thing is just about as big as the PlayStation itself. Is it good to use with Tekken or other fighters?

Also, I wish all the consoles had just stuck with standard RCA jacks for the A/V connections. I hate tracking down all those proprietary cables. :x

I had an unusual find on my last thrift trip.  I found one of the earlier Playstations that had actual RCA jacks for Audio and video output.... at $9.99 I was considering picking it up despite already having one working Playstation since it'd be nice to not need a proprietary AV cable. However, on further investigation I found that the space where the laser and it's associated mechanism goes to be mysteriously vacant.  So I passed.

935467[/snapback]

sure it wasn't a "fun station" with the built in SNES on a chip thingy?

I had an unusual find on my last thrift trip.  I found one of the earlier Playstations that had actual RCA jacks for Audio and video output...

935467[/snapback]

935544[/snapback]

It's already been established in other threads that the very first PlayStations used standard RCA jacks instead of the proprietary cable we all know and love.

There's an SNES-on-a-chip system now?

I had an unusual find on my last thrift trip.  I found one of the earlier Playstations that had actual RCA jacks for Audio and video output...

935467[/snapback]

935544[/snapback]

It's already been established in other threads that the very first PlayStations used standard RCA jacks instead of the proprietary cable we all know and love.

There's an SNES-on-a-chip system now?

936106[/snapback]

or the genisis on a chip.. whataver the hell it is..

All I know is I came accross something in the thrifts a few months back that was basicly a ripped off Playstation chassis.. right down to the playstation logo(instead of "PS it said FS), calling itself a "fun station", and had a cartirdge slot under the hood instead of the CD player guts.. and of course had the RCA out jacks

All I know is I came accross something in the thrifts a few months back that was basicly a ripped off Playstation chassis.. right down to the playstation logo(instead of "PS it said FS), calling itself a "fun station", and had a cartirdge slot under the hood instead of the CD player guts.. and of course had the RCA out jacks

936115[/snapback]

Yep, that's one of the knock-off NES-on-a-chip consoles. The sad thing is, those sold for a long time in legitimate-looking mall kiosks, before Nintendo's lawyers finally got wise and started C&D-ing them all.

Edited by skunkworx

Wow! I found six TurboGrafx16 games in the wild! I was checking out the recent additions to one of the better local thrift's CD rack, and there were Turbo games mixed in. Vigilante, Andre Panza's Kick Boxing, Final Lap Twin, Dungeon Explorer, Bloody Wolf, and Ninja Spirit, all at the store's regular CD price, $2.98 each. I also bought a bunch of CDs, since they had a good selection all of a sudden. Whoever donated their CDs was really into Depeche Mode, apparently. The shelves were filled with their CDs and boxed sets. Never liked them myself, so I passed. Also found a shrinkwrapped NES Four Score in the board game section for $1.98.

Yesterday, I also bought Sneak 'n Peek, Sears Warlords, Dragonfire, and Armor Ambush, all for the Atari 2600, 25¢ each. And I found one out of the way thrift that had a few boxed Atari 2600 games on their software shelves, but marked $10 each (in permanent marker), so I passed. Strange that they would charge $10 for Atari games, and then charge $5 for Philips CD-i boxed games. And the Atari games were all commons. Some stores don't know what some of their stuff is really worth.

935544[/snapback]

I can out and out assure you it was a real playstation with it's cd mechanism missing. There was a big hole the shape of it and you could see the sheilding that goes over the main board. I'd notice something like a cartridge port under the CD door.... or any odd logos

Edited by SuperPsycho

On ebay, I just picked up nine genesis football games for $3.50 (MADDEN 96, COLLEGE FOOTBALL USA 97, JOHN MADDEN FOOTBALL 93, BILL WALSH COLLEGE FOOTBALL, MADDEN 94, COLLEGE FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, NFL 95, NFL FOOTBALL 94, AND TROY AIKMAN FOOTBALL) and earlier this week got 33 (mostly) sports themed genesis games on ebay for $18.50 + shipping (THE JUNGLE BOOK, WORLD SERIES BASEBALL, FIFA INTERNATIONAL SOCCER, SPORTS TALK FOOTBALL 93, TECMO SUPER BASEBALL, BOXING LEGENDS OF THE RING, NHLPA HOCKEY 93, RISK, SPORTS TALK BASEBALL, MARIO LEMIEUX HOCKEY, NHL 94, ROYAL RUMBLE, X-MAN, NBA JAM, FERRARI GRAND PRIX CHALLENGE, GREATEST HEAVYWEIGHTS, JURASSIC PARK, HOCKEY, NHL 95, NHL 96, NHL 97, JUNGLE STRIKE, BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD, THE BEACHED SURFER DUDE!, NFL QUARTERBACK CLUB 96, STIMPY'S INVENTION, TERMINATOR 2 - JUDGMENT DAY, TRIPLE SCORE, PRIME TIME NFL FOOTBALL, NO ESCAPE, INSTRUMENTS OF CHAOS - YOUNG INDIANA JONES, NHL ALL-STAR HOCKEY 95, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2).

6 Colecovisions

7 2600s

-1 Four Switch

-1 Sears Light Sixer

-5 Sears Heavy Sixers

4 800 XL

1 Vectrex

2 NES

1 SNES

1 Sega Genesis 2/Sega CD 2 Setup

Some Miscellaneous Handhelds

4 1050 Drives

50 games spread among those systems (mostly colecovision...and for some reason 5200...oh...some vectrex stuff too)

A huge box of controllers

A huge box of Power Supplies

TI99 4a

FREE!

HOLY CRAP!!!! Are you sure they are all true Heavy Sixers or are some the more common Light Sixers, seems to goods to be true. Awesome haul though, how did you manage it? If they are true Heavys could you please post the serial number on them here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76656

Once again nice job, it's an instant collection!