IGNORED

Atari Super Pong Display Problem

akator

Do you have the television on the correct channel?

It looks like you are getting a ton of interference. Either:

• The channel is wrong - those Pong systems broadcast over a couple channels at the same time (only one fully).
  • The converter box is getting interference. If the channel is correct, then you might want to take a trip to Radio Shack. They have a coaxial to RCA converter for a couple bucks. It replaces that horrible little box.
  • The wire is loose/damaged. I have one Pong console where the wire broke on the inside - and I lost the picture. I will have to eventually break it open and resolder. I'm looking forward to that a tad less than a prostate exam.... :lol:

I hope you get it up and running. I have a couple Super Pongs. They are incredible fun.

Edited by Devin

Do you have the television on the correct channel?

It looks like you are getting a ton of interference. Either:

• The channel is wrong - those Pong systems broadcast over a couple channels at the same time (only one fully).
  • The converter box is getting interference. If the channel is correct, then you might want to take a trip to Radio Shack. They have a coaxial to RCA converter for a couple bucks. It replaces that horrible little box.
  • The wire is loose/damaged. I have one Pong console where the wire broke on the inside - and I lost the picture. I will have to eventually break it open and resolder. I'm looking forward to that a tad less than a prostate exam.... :lol:

I hope you get it up and running. I have a couple Super Pongs. They are incredible fun.

Thanks for the reply. The console is plugged in directly the to RF input of the TV using an RCA-to-RF adapter (like the ones here at the AA store) that works with other systems. Channel setting is correct. So... the only other thing wrong is that something came loose in the console that requires fixing?

It looks like the RF modulator inside the Super Pong may have drifted out of spec. Use a plastic hex wrench to adjust it.

Also, before you do that make sure you are using fresh batteries.

Mitch

After much experimenting, I've found that the problem lies within the VHF cable, not the FR modulator. I can move the cable around, changing the static noise and quality of the picture.

I plan to fix this by replacing the cable altogether, hopefully, skipping over this problem.

Edited by CommodoreStaffen

I purchased one of these about a year ago & have had the same scrambled video problem. Finally decided to work on it this morning and found the same thing - moving the cable caused the output to change. Replaced the cable with one from a broken 5200 & it's back in business. I still have graphical issues (some flickering & distortion at the top/bottom), but it's playable. :D

-Rob

I have the Sears super pong, and i have this problem too, but it seems isolated to certain tv's. I tried it on 5 different sets several times, and it always works perfectly on the same two tv's, and never works on the other three. Don't know if that helps, but there you go.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like shorted or pinched cables, or the RF mod unit in the system has changed frequencies due to age. As Mitch said you need to adjust it, but requires opening up the system and powering it up and adjusting while open. I just fixed up about 10 Telstars of different make and model I ended up replacing all video out cables with new ones and readjusting the RF frequency to newer tvs to get the best picture possible.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

hmm mabie youre tv has IRC HRC AND STANDARD CABLE SELECT TUNING or its just BAD my freinds sony tv has crap on ch11

I would run it into a VCR on ch3 or ch2 and SEE what that looks like then you will know weather its the TV tuner or the Atari.

there is a adjust for inside the Atari for channel witch might have got changed over years ...

also DONT use batteries use 5v+ dc power pack or 6v DC power pack as batteries always DIE..

also there is a channel select switch INSIDE

dang it now i have to open mine to see whats inside again!! this will give me someting to do.

Almost forgot unless you FIND A SUPER security driver set you can use a snippers to loosen screws!... I replaced w long drywall screws and plastic standoffs cause those screws are to hard to open.

Did you fix it ??

Edited by awace

• 1 month later...

I have the Sears super pong, and i have this problem too, but it seems isolated to certain tv's. I tried it on 5 different sets several times, and it always works perfectly on the same two tv's, and never works on the other three. Don't know if that helps, but there you go.

i agree with you :P if the tv is to modern, sometimes it just dosnt work. you can never know with these old consoles, its kind of what you have to expect from somthing this old :P

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks for everyone's help,

I messaged Akator, and he told me what fixed the problem was changing the TV to an older 90s tube model. Unfortunately, I bought a "new" 90s tube TV and it still shows static until you move around the RF cables into EXACTLY the right spot -- it does work less badly than when I was connecting to my LG LCD 46 Inch though.

I messaged Retro Rogue, and he suggested using a RF to RCA converter. He said that this intermediary device may remove this problem.

I am using a RF to F-Type Transformer (commonly known as: RF to coaxial input) from an Atari Ultra Pong Doubles console.

Any thoughts on how to fix the problem anyone?

Thanks,

Will