IGNORED

Any recommended exclusive hidden gems

cybercylon

So a DVD player to one of our TVs bit the dust, and I've moved our Blu-ray player to replace it. So I've finally bit the bullet and picked up a PS3.

I'm aware of some of the bigger exclusives (picked up Valkyria Chronicles and MSG4 to get started). Any recommended hidden exclusive gems? I don't care for racing and fighting games, and the closest I get to first person shooters is something like Fallout.

Demon's Souls is right up there as one of my favorite PS3 games, and lucky for us the servers are back online. You may want to check out 3D Dot Game Heroes if you like Zelda games. I personally haven't played it yet, but it'll be my next purchase based on what I've watched and read online. Folklore is another game worth looking into. There is also Infamous if you like free-roaming super hero type games and then of course the Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Little Big Planet series. There are some HD collections of PS2 games like the Sly Cooper and God of War series if those interest you. That's all I can think of at the top of my head seeing as you aren't too big on FPS games. There may be some downloadable games you may like, but you'll have to wait until the store is brought back online. Not sure if you like the Twisted Metal series, but the new game should be out this fall.

I think Folklore is pretty good. It made a bit of a splash when the PS3 first came out due to the lack of titles but it is fairly obscure now. Disgaea 3 is decent, though not as amusing as the earlier installments on PS2.

I think Folklore is pretty good. It made a bit of a splash when the PS3 first came out due to the lack of titles but it is fairly obscure now. Disgaea 3 is decent, though not as amusing as the earlier installments on PS2.

Folklore is a pretty good recommendation, actually. It is the most hidden of all the gems I could think of. One thing to note, it has a big flaw. There are two characters that go through the game... Keats and Ellen, I think, were their names. Each one is solving a little mystery, and, of course, their roads continue to cross. Unfortunately, and here is where the game is just dumb-founding, as soon as you make it through a level as one character, you'll have to go through the same level as the other character.

The game is beautiful, however -- just absolutely beautiful. Amazing sound and music, with an art direction that you will not soon forget. The gameplay, itself, is fun. I'm not a huge fan of bash-em-ups, but I like this. But the game was a commercial failure, and rightfully so. Still, I'm glad I have a copy.

Ignoring PSN download games, I can think of two more semi-obscure games.

Valkyria Chronicles. Strange little tactical game. Quite good, and successful enough to spawn a version for the PSP, and, I think, a sequel is in the works. But, not heavily advertised and most people seem to be unaware.

Buzz. This is a trivia game franchise that begun on the PS2. If you are a huge trivia buff, you probably know this series, otherwise, it tends not to get much attention. Absolutely superb as a party game -- I think 8 or 10 people can join in, each with their own Buzz controller. On-line play, with some good expansion packs, its easy to recommend.

Edited by durkada

• 2 weeks later...

Hidden gems:

Afrika

Valkyria chronicles

Folklore

Eternal Sonata (it came out late on the PS3)

Sly Cooper Collection (or any of the collections)

3D Dot Game Heroes

No so hidden:

Resistance 2 (not a hidden gem but I think many people didnt buy it because of COD)

Demons Souls (not a hidden gem anymore but its pretty damn good)

The Ratchet and Clank platformers are cool too.