IGNORED

... yet another music thread

John Doe

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice indeed. BS in Music Ed. Nice. Any compositions of your own ?

I see you use a lot of SOUND statements. Must have taken forever to do all those songs. What steps did your go through to convert a piece of music ?

:)

tony.gif

There are a few different ways to code xbasic music.

I experimented with several different styles based on what I saw other programmers doing.

One way is to use call sound statements, and just list them one after another. It works, and sometimes it's the best way.

Easy to keep track of what's going on.

The next best way is to use a standard gosub call sound with variables, like CALL SOUND(a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i).

Then just change the variables as you go and do the gosub.

Another style is to use vibrato along with the gosub call, as in the late Bill Knect's 'Why Me'. Look at the program to see what he's doing. Genius. Thanks, Bill, sorry you had to have that shit eating at your brain.

And sometimes you combine several of the styles to get the best result. I'm most proud of 'Spain', it's the best result I've gotten from

my music programming efforts. It uses several techniques, and is the most realistic piece of music I've coded as far as staying true to the original piece of music.

Just look at the techniques that I and those that have gone before me have used. It's a guide to what you can do and expand upon, the sky's the limit. Go for it!

T.K.

Very nice indeed. BS in Music Ed. Nice. Any compositions of your own ?

I see you use a lot of SOUND statements. Must have taken forever to do all those songs. What steps did your go through to convert a piece of music ?

tony.gif

Hey Sometimes.. how do you capture these?

Hey Sometimes.. how do you capture these?

In the "Video" menu of Classic99, there's a "Screenshot (Basic)". Basic here means no filters.

I take several screenshots and save them using numbers from "01" to whatever - like "15".

I then use a GIF-animation program, Animation Shop 2, and bulk load all images (multiple select). They're automatically ordered by name, hence the naming ("01" etc.).

I then have a timeline and can easily modify the time of each frame etc. I can also edit one frame, the image is transferred forth and back to my main graphic editor, Paint Shop Pro 6.

Sometimes I instead grap a video of Classic99 using Camtasia Studio 5 and save it as GIF (reducing colors to 256). Then I finetune in Animation Shop 2, and save as GIF with 16 colors (using the TI palette).

Thanks for the insight. Must have taken a very long time to do. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv8O-1vhwPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-p79g4GGvA

Maybe not the best live example, this one would be the standard to judge all others by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3h-ZEDtvE&feature=related

Chick Corea, Hubert Laws, Stanley Clarke, Bill Watrous, Lenny White, George Benson...

Perhaps not a better cast of talent ever assembled?

Gazoo (woohoo!)

Hey, I'm a poet. ^ :)