IGNORED

Replacement PS3 Slim or Phat?

I cant stand the slim so I would say phat even though they are a bit louder.

If you dont care about PS2 games, slight blu-ray delays or the lack of extra USB ports then get the new model.

All models can be upgraded with new laptop harddrives although one of the more recent PS3 firmware updates broke that feature.

http://tinyurl.com/3svrbku

Also PS2 slims are cheap as hell. Nothing wrong with having that next to your new PS3.

Edited by cimerians

Mine's dying can't be fixed. What would you do? Thanks.

Mine was dying (stopped reading blu ray discs) but I was able to clean the laser in the drive and now it works great. If you are having a problem that really is dying, you can check on slickdeals.net for the best deals for a new PS3. If you don't mind jumping through a couple of hoops, you can get a new PS3 160GB slim for around $140. Amazon also usually has deals where you get a new PS3 for $300 and get a $50-$60 Amazon credit.

Edited by VW

... slight blu-ray delays...

what do you mean by that?

On my phat I never get any delays when booting up a movie or when hitting the TRIANGLE button to bring up the onscreen menu to fast forward to another screen for example.

When I got my slim PS3 I noticed delays of that sort especially when trying to skip to another scene in a movie when bringing up the menu etc.

I still have both machines hooked up and I could tell the phat is slightly faster with no delays at all.

You can google quite a bit of info on it:

http://tinyurl.com/3tedrck

(I notice no game load difference as some people say games load faster. I dont notice that at all but Im probably not paying attention.)

Edited by cimerians

I still have both machines hooked up and I could tell the phat is slightly faster with no delays at all.

Agreed.

The slim's just take a bit longer to boot a disk. I've always preferred my 60GB to the Slims. More USB ports, 100% BC, faster booting. I prefer older PS3 for sure! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's dying can't be fixed. What would you do? Thanks.

Mine was dying (stopped reading blu ray discs) but I was able to clean the laser in the drive and now it works great. If you are having a problem that really is dying, you can check on slickdeals.net for the best deals for a new PS3. If you don't mind jumping through a couple of hoops, you can get a new PS3 160GB slim for around $140. Amazon also usually has deals where you get a new PS3 for $300 and get a $50-$60 Amazon credit.

What hoops do you have to jump through? What do you have to do? And how do you get a new ps3 160g FOR $140? Thanks. Seems like at all the places I've asked people's opinion it's 50/50 on slim or phat, but I do appreciate all the input, thanks again.:roll:

Edited by thegamezmaster

One thing you might consider is calling Sony and see about trading in your dying PS3 for a refurbished Slim.

When my launch 60gb displayed the YLoD (it was long out of warranty), I called Sony up and was given two options: 1) trade in my 60gb plus $120 and receive a refurbished 120gb Slim with a 6 month warranty. or 2) Sony would repair my 60gb for $180 plus tax & shipping and would only give me a 90 day warranty on the repair.

I was turned off by the 3 month warranty on the repair and decided to have it repaired for $90 at a local computer store. While my 60gb doesn't get a lot of use now (trying to make it last as long as possible so I use my 40gb as the workhorse), the repair has lasted a year with no problems.

So I suggest giving Sony a call and seeing if you can do a trade in or you might check local computer and video game stores to see if they do PS3 repairs. Either option is much cheaper than buying a new system.

Mendon

Went to a place that I've dealt with and know the people there and was able to get a used 120g slim with a warranty for very cheap. Hooked it up last night and been running great. Did have one glitch. Put in a game, said I needed an update and when I went to do it, the screen went black with what looked like stars. After while I held the power button down till the red light came on. Powered back up fine, updated fine, and played the game fine. Anyone else have this happen or heard about something like this happen? By the way, for the last 4 or so hours unit's been working fine. Plus I want to thank everyone who responded to my questions and offered help. It really helped me,again thanks.

Went to a place that I've dealt with and know the people there and was able to get a used 120g slim with a warranty for very cheap. Hooked it up last night and been running great. Did have one glitch. Put in a game, said I needed an update and when I went to do it, the screen went black with what looked like stars. After while I held the power button down till the red light came on. Powered back up fine, updated fine, and played the game fine. Anyone else have this happen or heard about something like this happen? By the way, for the last 4 or so hours unit's been working fine. Plus I want to thank everyone who responded to my questions and offered help. It really helped me,again thanks.

I've had a similar problem with my 60gb fat, usually with Bethesda games. Don't worry about it too much if it doesn't happen every time, I'm sure its fine.

• 3 weeks later...