IGNORED

The PS 3 can play PS 1 games?

I read last week that the PS3 can play PS1 games, is this true? I Googled it and I have read various threads that say yes it is true, although these seem to be older threads. Can anyone here throw a PS1 game into their PS3 and vouch for it?

You'll probably think I'm nuts but as a Star Wars fan, I have always had a desire to get the aweful Masters of Teras Kasi game. I know it's lousy game, believe me I know, but it's one of those titles I just feel the need to add to my collection. I don't have a PS1 so this game has lingered on the backburner for me for a while but now that I hear rumors that I might be able to play it on my PS3 I am thinking I might just get it afterall.

(By the way, is Masters of Teras Kasi PS One or PSX and does it make a difference? Can the PS3 play it?)

starwars_mastersofteraskasi_games_2_480x480.jpg

PSX = older acronym for PlayStation

PS1 = newer acronym for PlayStation

The PlayStation was generally referred to as the PSX when it was a current system. People started referring to it as the PS1 after the PlayStation 2 came out and especially after a specialized unit called the PlayStation Xtreme came out so as to avoid confusion. So PSX = PS1.

The PlayStation 3 is allegedly fully compatible with the PS1 library. I say allegedly because there are a few games that it has problems with, due in part to the fact that it is only emulating (using software to pretend it is hardware) the PS1. Your particular game will most likely run without any problems 100% on the PS3. Problems that do come up don't tend to be game-breaking either which is good. Though I do know that once when I was playing Xenogears on my PS2, I had to hook my PS1 back up because the PS2 broke one of the boss fights near the end of the game for some reason. No idea if the PS3 has that problem or not.

By the by, the original PlayStation is not particularly expensive on the used market, due in large part to the fact that both the PS2 and PS3 can play originally PlayStation games near flawlessly so that may be an option if you are really worried. PlayStation 1 emulators are also very good now and can play PS1 games from the disc drive in your computer.

You might also be interested to know that Sony has original PlayStation games available for purchase and download on their online store. It's nothing approaching the whole library but if you're interested in PS1 gaming besides this Star Wars game you want, the PS3 does have a lot of very good titles available, in many cases for cheaper then you'd pay buying a used copy from eBay or whatever.

• Like 2

I think the only real issue would be games that needed special controllers to play properly or at all. I know the Ridge Racer series and one or two of the WipEout games played better with Namco's NeGcon pad. Same for Namco Museum Vol. 1 and 3 (Pole Position 1 and 2). Sadly no adapter can properly adapt these specialty controllers properly (I could be wrong, I've no idea how the NeGcon functions in the mentioned games).

Most PS1 games work just fine in the PS3. I use my PS3 for all of my PS1 gaming. Now I only have about 50 games, but none have had any issues so far. I've read that a few games do have issues, but most run just fine. I haven't found a list of games that don't work, but the list is small I'm sure. The emulator Sony uses on the PS3 is OK, though the ones on computer are far superior.

I do have an adapter that converts PS1/2 controllers to the PS3. The problem is that there is no way to switch analog/digital on those controllers once you have them plugged in. So certain controllers are going to be fairly worthless on the PS3.

The only PS1 game I've run across that doesn't work with the PS3 is Return Fire. It was an early PS1 game, and is in a format that isn't within the later PS1 standard. It works on all PS1 consoles, and PS2's that have the "Disc Speed" option in the firmware. It does not work with the PS3..

Short of that, all of my other 50 or so PS1 games work, including SW: Masters of Teras Kasai.

btw, it's PS1 or PS One. The PSX is a playstation 2. Many stupid people called the PS1 a PSX for some (or no) reason.

No, the PSX was the original name of the PS1. The PS1 didn't even get called PS1 until the PS2 came about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_%28console%29

Correct. It was the PSX for a while until the PS2 came out. Every magazine I remember called it the PSX.

Even IGN.

http://psx.ign.com/

btw, it's PS1 or PS One. The PSX is a playstation 2. Many stupid people called the PS1 a PSX for some (or no) reason.

No, the PSX was the original name of the PS1. The PS1 didn't even get called PS1 until the PS2 came about.

Show me a sales reciept for a PSX?

He doesn't have to.

Like it or not, it was a near universal abbreviation for the original Playstation during the 1990's and remains in common use to this day. It was even utilized by Sony sometimes in the 1990's (Including before the system was even released when the system's official codename was Playstation Experimental, officially abbreviated as PSX). Open up the bios of a Playstation with a Hex editor and guess what the system is referred to as? That's right, it is called a PSX. After being referred to as "Playstation Experiemental" during it's development phase and with PSX being a common abbreviation, it almost even became the official name of the system after the Playstation name performed poorly in focus groups. Some factions in the company wanted it called PSX out of fear that the Playstation name would turn customers away.

I'm not sure why you seem so unaware of this or want to call those people stupid. That's how it was even if you don't like it. And your abbreviations you claim were official for the original Playstation line weren't. Sony's official abbreviation that they almost always used was "PS", not PS1. And the abbreviation "PS One" specifically refers to the redesigned smaller version of the original Playstation, not all Playstation's.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

When I try to play X-Men: Children of the Atom, I get black flashing on the screen as it plays. X-Men: Mutant Academy will not boot up. X-Men Mutant Academy 2 works fine though. I am using a 60GB phat model.

That game will not work on a PS2 or a PS3.

:(

Sad cause I love that fighter.

PSX wasn't an official name, but you guys are right, it was commonly referred to as it. I don't know why "PS" wouldn't do, and the "X" was necessary.

I agree about the name. It wasnt officially called PSX. Its the magazines probably that started it. My guess.

X sounded cool in those days. It was probably in the name of cool. :roll:

Edited by cimerians

Show me anything, anywhere that refers to the PS2 as the PSX, official or unoffical. Not some Japanese Prototype, but the actual PS2 being referred to as the PSX.

lol what happened here?

You know I was so used to calling the original PlayStation PSX that I continued to use the acronym for years and it was only after getting called out about it on another forum that I realize now that people had stopped calling it that, there were lots of folks running around who didn't realize it had ever been called that.

Show me anything, anywhere that refers to the PS2 as the PSX, official or unoffical. Not some Japanese Prototype, but the actual PS2 being referred to as the PSX.

It's not the PS2 y'know, but a PS2.

Old people who were there on release, bought it the first day, and subscribed to Sony's magazine = stupid people?

It was and is PSX from day one. New developments don't change history.

AX

• Like 2