IGNORED

Defense Grid

Mendon

I only played the demo and was never really blown away by it. But I got a point card as a birthday present and being a tower defense game fanatic, i decided to take a chance and pick up Defense Grid.

Whew... the game is much better than I thought and requires a lot more strategy and planning than I expected. So far, I've only played thru the first 7 maps of Awakening and gotten 6 golds and 1 silver, and it seems to me that upgrading towers and finding the proper placement of a particular tower is the key to beating levels, not just building as many towers as possible.

I really like the "checkpoint" system so that if you make a mistake, you don't have to restart the entire level. And I like the fact that you can study a map for as long as you want before a game starts so that you can strategize.

Before moving on to Lvl 8, I'm trying to get a Golds on Lvl 4... The Long Decent... but have failed on multiple attempts as I seem to come up 100 pts or less short of the needed amount every time.

I know Moycon is a master at this game but I was just curious if anyone else is playing the game and what general tips you might have for overall gameplay.

Mendon

The key, especially in later rounds is to shape the enemies path in such a way that ensures the longest route for them.

I think this is the main thing that makes this tower defense game different, and better than other ones.

They also have additional levels you can download. I think it's like a buck per two levels. I snagged them all of course!

I've heard rumors they will eventually be releasing a sequel.

I've got all golds on every stage, every scenario. (poison core, 10 tower limit etc...)

You just gave me an excuse to fire it back up! I'll check out The Long Decent and update my post.

Exactly how many defense grid type games are there now?

:roll:

Pixel Junk Monsters (Only on PS3), South Park Defense, Final Fantasy Crystal Defenders are the ones I can think of.

So maybe four. If you include Plants Vs Zombies, then five. That number pales to the number of say omni directional shooters.

So far as I know there are no tower defense games like Defense Grid. That's what sets it apart.

None of those other games feature the ability to shape your enemies path. It REALLY adds a lot to the game.

Mendon. I think the key to getting Gold on The Long Decent is the temporal tower. You are right, I didn't have to fill up all the spaces with guns. I used about 10 guns, one flame thrower,one laser and of course the temporal tower. Not sure how much detail you wanted so I'll just say I placed guns for the first few rounds and then built up my points and place the temporal in the rear middle block of that group of 6 blocks the enemy first comes to on the right. The tower at that point won't do anything since it can't actually reach the walkway yet. Eventually however you can upgrade it and then it'll cover that whole half circle turn! The enemy will be sitting ducks at that point getting shot like fish in a barrel!

Moycon has cool vids on the Deal thread. Check em' out.

I like this game a lot. I picked it up on Steam as well. The PC version looks nicer (depending on your setup) but I've gotten so used to the controls on the 360 I'm having a hard time with it.

There are a couple more tower defense games out there but only on the PS3.

Savage Moon (not too bad)

Comet Crash (critics love it but for me it gets wayy too hard)

Mushroom Wars (I think its a tower defense game if I remember. This may be available on other platforms.)

Edited by cimerians

The key, especially in later rounds is to shape the enemies path in such a way that ensures the longest route for them.

I think this is the main thing that makes this tower defense game different, and better than other ones.

That's the method I tried on Lvl 7: Barrier to Entry. I set up some gun and a laser towers near the Pod tower, upgraded them all to red, and placed other towers in such a way that it made the beasties go thru this path to grab any pods and then come back thru this same path on their way to the exit. By doing this, it meant that they took double damage from these high powered towers since they had to traverse the same path twice.

The risk of this tactic is that if a beastie, like a Boss, makes it past these towers with a pod and dies, another beastie will pick up the pod and head for the exit without having to go thru my Corridor of Death. So placement and tower type are extremely important.

Like I said, there is much, much more strategy to this game than I expected.

I may look at your video's after achieving Gold on a Lvl or if I get hopelessly stuck.

Thanks for the tips and for posting the vid's!

Mendon

There are a couple more tower defense games out there but only on the PS3.

Savage Moon (not too bad)

I think Savage Moon is similar to DGrid in that on some levels you can direct the path of the beasties by placing guns in pathways and thus forcing them to take a longer route.

I'm not sure how many towers there are in DGrid but SM offers quite a variation of guns and support towers (towers that heal or pump up defensive/offensive capabilities of surrounding guns, etc etc) within the game.

I really enjoyed Savage Moon and have both the PS3 and PSP versions. PixelJunk Monsters is still my favorite but Savage Moon and Defense Grid are a blast to play also.

There used to be a demo of the game available on PSN (both versions) that Moycon (or anyone else) might want to check out, though it may have been deleted.

And I agree with you on Comet Crash.. while its different from PJ Monsters in that you can attack the beasties home base, the gameplay just didn't didn't grab me like the other tower defense games did. And like you said, it got really difficult after just a few levels and I lost interest in it.

I think there is a demo of Comet Crash also plus I think its a freebie game for PS+ members.

Mendon

I think Savage Moon is similar to DGrid in that on some levels you can direct the path of the beasties by placing guns in pathways and thus forcing them to take a longer route.

Really!!?? *runs off to buy Sony Store card*

I totally agree Mendon. I enjoyed Savage Moon too because of the similarities to Defense Grid (guiding the monsters to a longer path etc).

I need to buy that game, I still have the demo for it but never bought it.

PJ Monsters is still my favorite because of that random island and its technically the first tower game I ever played, the PSP version was a surprise good port too. The balloons really made it difficult at times. :P

Defense Grid though is right up there. It may take my favorite spot someday because I have that on my 360 and PC.

I like PJ Monsters but DAMN it's HARD to me. Well, hard to get 100% anyways. I got all Golds on DG which pretty much means getting 100% kills, ending above a certain number of points and not using your Orbital Laser (Although I have used the laser and gotten gold before) But PJ Monsters I struggle to get 100% kills and no egg losses even on the beginning levels!!

What'up with that?!

I like PJ Monsters but DAMN it's HARD to me. Well, hard to get 100% anyways. I got all Golds on DG which pretty much means getting 100% kills, ending above a certain number of points and not using your Orbital Laser (Although I have used the laser and gotten gold before) But PJ Monsters I struggle to get 100% kills and no egg losses even on the beginning levels!!

What'up with that?!

LOL

The trophies are even worse. I used youtube to beat the trophy levels and didnt get 100% of them. They are brutal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I got back into playing this game recently and finally managed to complete all of The Awakening (all Gold) and the first map of The Borderlands. Really, really enjoyed it, and found in the later - tougher levels that a good strategy was to just play around a bit at the beginning of a level to see what favored path the beasties would take in their journey, then restart the level and get damn serious.

With only 3 more levels to complete in Borderlands, I'm looking to perhaps buy some expansions. Questions: are they all good or is one better than others? Is the new "Portal" expansion perhaps *THE* expansion to invest in over the others? And finally.... are any new towers or nasties added in any of the expansions?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mendon

Is the new "Portal" expansion perhaps *THE* expansion to invest in over the others? And finally.... are any new towers or nasties added in any of the expansions?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mendon

Well I love Defense Grid, and I love Portal, but I didn't particularily enjoy the Portal levels, in as much as I enjoyed the other 4 DLC packs.

Not really sure why that was. I think I didn't like the fact that the computer would at various times disrupt your strategy by removing guns you placed, or change up the rules in the middle of the levels. I dunno. You do learn to think ahead at what she is going to do, but I just didn't really enjoy it as much. The first 4 DLC packs were more like the original game. You place a tower, you try and figure out an optimal path, you kill the bad guys. I did like the fact the Portal DLC added new challenges even to the original levels, either that or maybe they just updated the game and added those in even if you didn't get the Portal DLC. Challenges, like Frozen Core (if the enemies take the core and you kill the enemy the core doesn't float back) really add to the game as a whole.

Seriously I would recommend all the DLC for the game, but I'd snag the first packs before the Portal if I had to choose.

Glad you are enjoying the game Mendon.

Thanks for the info, Moycon.... much appreciated!!

Out of curiosity, what are your least favorite nasties in the game? Mine has to The Rumbler (sucker is faaaaast and usually comes in groups) and The Turtle, only because occasionally it will spawn a Rumbler or Crusher upon death.

Anyone use the Command tower much? I found towards the end of the game that these seem to really raise your resource recovery and are pretty low cost to build and upgrade.

Mendon

Anyone use the Command tower much? I found towards the end of the game that these seem to really raise your resource recovery and are pretty low cost to build and upgrade.

Mendon

I'm a big Command Tower user. It really can make a difference between Gold and Silver in some levels just because you get more resources which adds up to a higher over all score at the end. On those levels where you, killed all the enemies, but missed gold by a few hundered points, try going back and placing a Command Tower somewhere and you'll usually make up the difference.

Thanks again for the input, Moycon!

I've now completed both The Awakening and the Borderlands with Gold on every level. I think before getting any of the expansions, I'm going to go back and pick a couple random levels and just play around with various towers to see how they improve or detract from completing and scoring a level.

I hope that a Defense Grid 2 happens and some point. And it would be great if the ability to create your own maps and share them were included!!

Mendon

Defense Grid is a completely amazing game and I love every bit of it. I will agree that I was a bit disappointed in the Portal map pack; just seemed more annoying than fun in the way of the challenge, but obviously YMMV. All of the map packs that came before this most recent one were amazing just like the original game and well worth getting.

defense grid is 50% off now if anyone's interested...

a bunch of tower defense games on sale right now...

-Defense Grid: The Awakening - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic (82)

-Dungeon Defenders - 800 Microsoft Points - 33% off - Metacritic (77) - Quick Look

-Orcs Must Die! - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic (79) - Quick Look

-South Park Lets Go Tower Defense Play! - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic (72) - Quick Look