IGNORED

Paddles

With the possibility of paddles games on the horizon here's some info :!:

Paddles

Things to consider...

[edit - it seems that after a few minutes of the Atari being powered on jittery paddles seem much better (130XE anyway), perhaps some sort of charge/build up is taking place]

0. Testing Fire up Kaboom! set it to paddles and have a quick go, then when you enter your initials if you can select each letter of the alphabet you have a decent set!

Also the 'Hardware Tester' program supports paddles [link to follow]

1. Buying a set from ebay etc, but then you'll need to do step 3 anyway ;)

2. If you use an emulator

(a) Most emulators erm emulate(!) paddles using the mouse. (Details on how to configure Altirra below).

(b) Purchase the 'Stelladaptor' or '2600 Adaptor' to use real atari joysticks and paddles via USB [/i]] Details of the 2600 Adaptor here http://www.atariage....er-usb-adaptor/ and here http://home.comcast....2600-daptor.htm

3. Servicing your paddles

I would say that there are three options, (i) replace the pots, (ii) clean the paddles properly, or (iii) temporarily coat them in something for a short term fix. I went for (ii) and got on reasonably well cleaning out the black gunk :D

(i) Buy new pots from Best Electronics http://www.best-elec...cx30_paddle.htm

I will buy some at some new pots at some point; if anyone from the UK is ordering from Best Electronics please get in touch and maybe we can save on postage - perhaps post here if you're interested :?:

(ii) Service your paddles

This step by step guide looks excellent and has photos http://www.longhorne...lers#paddle2600

Other links

http://www.atariage....ter-how-to-fix/

http://www.atariage....le-maintenance/

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2261310

But be aware of this too re Paddle issues with the XE range (perhaps others can comment on this too)

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2112920

trbb

------------------------------------------------------------

To setup paddle emulation using the mouse in Altirra:

-Input menu

-Input Mappings

-"Mouse -> Paddle A (port1)"

-Close

To activate/deactive them

-Input Menu

-Capture Mouse

(or simply press F12 to toggle on/off)

The left mouse button is fire.

Some games e.g. 'Tilter' use both paddles - on Atari800win+4.0 emulator the mouse up down axis is automatically mapped to the 2nd paddle making it ideal for this game - Altirra can be setup for this [will update when sussed this out] :ponder:

Edited by therealbountybob

I service my own. Once you take apart and put back together your first set, you're good to go. It only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish and the results are great!

I know that the emulators emulate paddles with the mouse, but that's just not the same thing. If I had the money to spend, I'd be getting a system off feebay just for this upcoming contest. I think I'm going to be up the creek without... ;)

I just use a little wd40 or liquid wrench.

So that'll be 3 (iii) :?: leading to a build up of black gunk inside the pot ;)

Well, how long should they last then? In my case, I've had a set last almost 10 years now with what I use. I'll be sure to let you know if/when they fail. ;)

I service my own. Once you take apart and put back together your first set, you're good to go. It only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish and the results are great!

I know that the emulators emulate paddles with the mouse, but that's just not the same thing. If I had the money to spend, I'd be getting a system off feebay just for this upcoming contest. I think I'm going to be up the creek without... ;)

I was thinking a man of your gaming prowess should be on a real system; what's the story did you have an Atari Computer before :?: Bet someone here can sell you a bargain system ;)

Well, how long should they last then? In my case, I've had a set last almost 10 years now with what I use. I'll be sure to let you know if/when they fail. ;)

ok, maybe you have a superior set! Mine were full of black gunk :? You'll be sure to do well, might have to have a jitter factor in the scoring :D

I was thinking a man of your gaming prowess should be on a real system; what's the story did you have an Atari Computer before :?: Bet someone here can sell you a bargain system ;)

Here's my story (The Reader's Digest version):

The family had a 2600 (bought new in 1978.) We had quite a large library of games. Then my brother got an 800XL system with a huge collection of games. We played the heck out of that thing until he went off to college. At that time, I bought my friend's (dare I say it) C64, again with a huge collection of games. I brought that system with me to college. So, I've been a hard core fan of the 8-bit systems ever since I was 7 years old and I have no intention of stopping anytime soon. ;)

Right now, I have to stick with emulation and my Stelladaptor. Someday, I'll pick up some hardware again. :)

ok, maybe you have a superior set! Mine were full of black gunk :? You'll be sure to do well, might have to have a jitter factor in the scoring :D

Using that 3-in-1 oil or motor oil will cause some major goo build-up. If your paddles are used at least twice a year, kept closed, and not taken trekking through the desert; wd40 is just fine. Looks like I'll get to play 2 games at least. Maybe even use my C= paddles... ;)

/me gets out the 800, for the upcoming battle...

deteacher, i will be in Delaware at the end of the month to take my kids to my parents house, we should get together for a pint and talk atari...

sloopy.

Beware NOS pots... I got a set from B&C and they are just as jittery as the ones I replaced...

So looks like we are back to the XE being the issue thing :ponder: Sometimes I find applying a little lateral pressure when playing helps...

True, this was on a 130XE, I'll have to try them out on a 800XL

/me gets out the 800, for the upcoming battle...

deteacher, i will be in Delaware at the end of the month to take my kids to my parents house, we should get together for a pint and talk atari...

sloopy.

That would be awesome! PM me when it's closer to the end of the month and we'll make plans! :)

Try C= paddles on the xe's. I dug out my xe to try yesterday and the Commodore paddles worked best on that one. The xl prefers originals.

yeah the C= paddles use a 500K ohm pot, where the atari uses a 1M ohm... usually its the caps in the atari circuit that go bad as they are charged/discharged a 'bit' every second...

sloopy.

Try C= paddles on the xe's. I dug out my xe to try yesterday and the Commodore paddles worked best on that one. The xl prefers originals.

yeah the C= paddles use a 500K ohm pot, where the atari uses a 1M ohm... usually its the caps in the atari circuit that go bad as they are charged/discharged a 'bit' every second...

sloopy.

Are you saying that XE users chould buy C= paddles and they'll run ok :?: Could you explain the tech stuff a bit more to me, thanks :)

Best response is from the grey C= paddles with fire button on top. The yellow/white ones that look just like Atari paddles are somewhere in between. The C= paddles also have a shorter "throw". In other words, you get more move faster for less turn by player. ;)