IGNORED

Vectrex overlay reproductions

VicViper

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back a bit.. (Well, it's not THAT old)

Those repro overlays look awesome, but at almost $40 USD shipped for 2 overlays, that's a lot of money.

(Not saying it's not worth it, they look great and I'm sure are expensive to make and ship to the US.)

(Just looked and on that thread, its about $40 registered, but closer to $30 standard shipping.)

But it got me thinking...

I didn't get ANY overlays with my Vectrex. I printed out one for Minestorm (flimsy transparency sheet, but it works).

I know it's not the real thing, but I wasn't all that impressed..

I got the full version of the EXCELLENT homebrew Protector, which came with an overlay...

That makes the game kind of light purple... OK.. AWESOME game, but again it was just a general subtle color shading...

Then I saw the overlay for ArmorAttack on the web.. Wow.. That looks like it makes a difference to the game..

And the beautiful overlay for the homebrew Warrior, which also looks to seriously affect the game..

So, which overlays REALLY make a difference to Vectrex games??

I wouldn't mind hearing from people who use real overlays with their Vecs, as I have pretty limited exposure here..

Just wondering..

desiv

Edited by desiv

Bringing this thread back a bit.. (Well, it's not THAT old)

Those repro overlays look awesome, but at almost $40 USD shipped for 2 overlays, that's a lot of money.

(Not saying it's not worth it, they look great and I'm sure are expensive to make and ship to the US.)

(Just looked and on that thread, its about $40 registered, but closer to $30 standard shipping.)

But it got me thinking...

I didn't get ANY overlays with my Vectrex. I printed out one for Minestorm (flimsy transparency sheet, but it works).

I know it's not the real thing, but I wasn't all that impressed..

I got the full version of the EXCELLENT homebrew Protector, which came with an overlay...

That makes the game kind of light purple... OK.. AWESOME game, but again it was just a general subtle color shading...

Then I saw the overlay for ArmorAttack on the web.. Wow.. That looks like it makes a difference to the game..

And the beautiful overlay for the homebrew Warrior, which also looks to seriously affect the game..

So, which overlays REALLY make a difference to Vectrex games??

I wouldn't mind hearing from people who use real overlays with their Vecs, as I have pretty limited exposure here..

Just wondering..

desiv

Hey desiv, cool to see there's another Vectrex lover as nearby as Salem!

To your first point, VecMad's Repro overlays are well worth their price. Pole Position is very difficult to find original, and the Minestorm overlay is a necessity for that game.

And to your second, the most useful overlays on Vectrex (imo) are:

Star Castle

Bedlam

Minestorm

Armor..Attack

Spinball

Ripoff

Starhawk

Star Trek

Web Wars

in that order. I only need Polar Rescue, and I can't fathom playing ANY game without it's overlay now that I have them.

Hope that answers your question. (If you ever want to sell Protector, you won't even have to ship it ;) )

Hey desiv, cool to see there's another Vectrex lover as nearby as Salem!

Yeah, and recycledgamer, who makes the Vectrex lightpens (waiting for mine..) is up by you also!!

and I can't fathom playing ANY game without it's overlay now that I have them.

Hope that answers your question. (If you ever want to sell Protector, you won't even have to ship it ;) )

I have to seriously consider the overlays...

Hmmm...

desiv

(I don't see myself selling my Protector.. Even tho I'm terrible at it.. ;-) )

Edited by desiv

• 8 months later...